Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VED challenges on Calis wrongly registered post Mar 12 this year?

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
There are lots of posts/threads covering VED this I know, but my question here is specific, i.e. has anyone else who purchased and had their Cali wrongly registered after March 12 this year, been successful in their application to DVLA to have the class changed from MI to PLG? (subthree has already confirmed that he HAS been successful in this, btw).

My Cali was wrongly registered as MI on March 20 and I went through the very long process as directed by the DVLA with application to get this revised to PLG. It seems that buyers from April on have all been registered as PLG and just a handful post Mar 12 were not, due to Covid lockdown/VW mix up. After nearly six months of following through on my application, I have been denied, apparently because my Cert of Conformity states the class as MI rather than MPV (they say it could be changed if Coc stated class as MPV). DVLA say that as there is nothing on the CoC in regard to the motor caravan aspects of the build, then they must assume that the vehicle was produced as a diesel car and converted at a later date...

Reference to the Gov. policy document published Mar 11 states that vehicle must be 'type approved MISA' and registered after 12 March'

it seems that 'type approved MISA' is outlined in a EC doc and simply states that the vehicle must have motor caravan elements when manufactured'

Earlier in the process, VW Customer Care were very helpful and I have now referred the matter back to them, and expecting a call from them later (they have asked for time to investigate). I have queried why there is no reference to the campervan/motor caravan elements of the California in their Certificate of Conformity (four pages long in german), which is what the DVLA have told me.

So, does anyone know of other successful challenges, or indeed, rejections ?

p,s I was advised by DVLA of their decision a couple weeks back, and admit I was pretty upset and have worked through the anger, depression and am now at 'acceptance' and am now able to be more detached on post here and on this!

with many thanks.
jill

I've read a couple of threads on this and I'm still confused.
My V5C says Body type: motor Caravan.

Is this what it's supposed to say?

Last edited:
Mine says Body type: motor Caravan.

Is this not correct?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
In the recent past it seems that Calis have been registered as MPV and also M/caravan, but my question is related those vehicles registered as MI after Mar 12. (rather than PLG) and charged VED rate applicable prior to that date.

In the recent past it seems that Calis have been registered as MPV and also M/caravan, but my question is related those vehicles registered as MI after Mar 12. (rather than PLG) and charged VED rate applicable prior to that date.
I hope you get the issue sorted out.
It seems very unreasonable that a vehicle manufactured as a camper would be classified as anything else.

Are they completing the certificate of conformity on the base van before it heads to the California factory do you think?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I dont know! thats certainly a question for VW when I speak to them later! thanks.

I hope you get the issue sorted out.
It seems very unreasonable that a vehicle manufactured as a camper would be classified as anything else.

Are they completing the certificate of conformity on the base van before it heads to the California factory
I would have thought it made more sense to class it as MPV rather than MI if done prior to fitting out. I didnt even consider that Calis are made in a dedicated factory, but this would make sense I suppose.

There are lots of posts/threads covering VED this I know, but my question here is specific, i.e. has anyone else who purchased and had their Cali wrongly registered after March 12 this year, been successful in their application to DVLA to have the class changed from MI to PLG? (subthree has already confirmed that he HAS been successful in this, btw).

My Cali was wrongly registered as MI on March 20 and I went through the very long process as directed by the DVLA with application to get this revised to PLG. It seems that buyers from April on have all been registered as PLG and just a handful post Mar 12 were not, due to Covid lockdown/VW mix up. After nearly six months of following through on my application, I have been denied, apparently because my Cert of Conformity states the class as MI rather than MPV (they say it could be changed if Coc stated class as MPV). DVLA say that as there is nothing on the CoC in regard to the motor caravan aspects of the build, then they must assume that the vehicle was produced as a diesel car and converted at a later date...

Reference to the Gov. policy document published Mar 11 states that vehicle must be 'type approved MISA' and registered after 12 March'

it seems that 'type approved MISA' is outlined in a EC doc and simply states that the vehicle must have motor caravan elements when manufactured'

Earlier in the process, VW Customer Care were very helpful and I have now referred the matter back to them, and expecting a call from them later (they have asked for time to investigate). I have queried why there is no reference to the campervan/motor caravan elements of the California in their Certificate of Conformity (four pages long in german), which is what the DVLA have told me.

So, does anyone know of other successful challenges, or indeed, rejections ?

p,s I was advised by DVLA of their decision a couple weeks back, and admit I was pretty upset and have worked through the anger, depression and am now at 'acceptance' and am now able to be more detached on post here and on this!

with many thanks.
jill
I'm totally flummoxed by all this. Why does it matter what it's registered as. Isn't the tax etc just the same because it was worth more than £40,000 when new? Mine is 12 months old and registered as having a 'Taxation Class' of Diesel Car with a 'Body Type' of MPV. Is this a problem? As far as I can tell, I can park in the car parks that deny access to Motor Caravans (and camper vans).

I'm totally flummoxed by all this. Why does it matter what it's registered as. Isn't the tax etc just the same because it was worth more than £40,000 when new? Mine is 12 months old and registered as having a 'Taxation Class' of Diesel Car with a 'Body Type' of MPV. Is this a problem? As far as I can tell, I can park in the car parks that deny access to Motor Caravans (and camper vans).
No. Post 12th March 2020, California’s were classed as PLG, Body Type Motor Caravan. Annual VED £270 and NO Luxury Car Tax for 5 yrs.

If you have a 2008 california it is registered as a diesel car, which means you pay an exhorbitant road tax. We have been told by dvla that they need a letter from vw reclassifying the class to plg.

If you have a 2008 california it is registered as a diesel car, which means you pay an exhorbitant road tax. We have been told by dvla that they need a letter from vw reclassifying the class to plg.
I have a 2008 Cali it’s registered as PLG for road tax think its 260 for the year.

Sorry to drag this up again but…. I’m just filling out the V55-4 to register an imported 2022 Cali Ocean, I’m sure no matter what I write on the V55 the DVLA will classify it as they see fit however, am I correct in filling it out with Tax Class PLG and paying £280 VED?

I’ve put ‘motor caravan’ in the body type - they’ll probably change whatever they don’t like.

I want to get it right first time rather than having anything knocked back in the post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How is it that the VW California has remained the same for about 2 decades the road tax (Because that’s what it is) changes on a daily basis. I taxed mine this morning and it was £315 for 12 months. Or £330 in 12 instalments.
That’s for a 2015 140 SE. It’s looks like nobody has a clue what it’s supposed to Ben not even the DVLA.

I have a 2008 Cali it’s registered as PLG for road tax think its 260 for the year.
Up to about 2012 all SE were all flat rate for motor caravan, except those erroneously registered as vans. but Beaches were treated as cars. & more expensive to tax.
Next came the emissions based rates & All treated as a car - hence the introduction of Blu Motion to get the emissions down.
Then I think we hade the Farce with MPV registration
Then treated as over £40k car so supplement paid.
Now except for Beach Tour and GC over 3.5tnne all treated as over 1549cc vans at £280/ year.

Just need to be careful out there as you could get caught out with a pre Blu Motion 4motion SE auto with a bill of £600 a year depending on when it was registered. On the other hand you could get lucky with MPV registered van paying the Expensive car supplement now but after 6 years it dropping to £155.

The only consistent thing is that it continuously changes.

Back