Van collected and all good!

• Thread starter Blackbrogue1962
  • Start date
Blackbrogue1962

Blackbrogue1962

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Collected my Cali Ocean this week from Eurovans and had a great journey back to Scotland. Very positive experience with EV, good handover, everything in order and also added the 5 year servicing to the deal on collection which was much appreciated. The bellows issue was mentioned, along with the reassurance that any issues would be dealt with by the dealer as with any other type of warranty claim. I was however pleased to confirm I had the latest 04S bellows. Initial observations based on the drive home were how comfortable and relaxing a vehicle it is to drive long distances and the impressive fuel economy - 42mpg on the motorway and 35mpg on hilly A road section of the route (A68). Now looking forward to my first nights camping somewhere in the Highlands, which should provide a good test of winter camping!

Pictures ?

And adaptive cruise. Makes for easy long distance trips.
I’ve had adaptive cruise control before and never really used it, but it suits the California perfectly. I’m also really appreciating the DSG gearbox. I do wonder if it makes for safer driving when all you have to think about is steering and other road traffic?

Congrats on the pickup and great on the experience; I know EV weren't doing too great with the bellowsgate initially. It's great they've been transparent.

One of the biggest perks of a Cali - the driving experience. The arm rests, heated seats, road position/height and overall seating position. Feel like a king of the road.

I’ve had adaptive cruise control before and never really used it, but it suits the California perfectly. I’m also really appreciating the DSG gearbox. I do wonder if it makes for safer driving when all you have to think about is steering and other road traffic?
I originally spec'ed standard CC for about 350 euro, but having used it in other vehicles realised what I really needed was ACC. I had read some bad experiences and thought it wasn't for me. When I had to reorder I decided to upgrade to ACC on the new Cali. So happy I did. I find it the perfect companion for long distance driving on motorways, A and B roads. Not perfect but so much more useful than manual CC. Just have to remember to disengage when approaching roundabouts .......
The DSG is brilliant to 98% of the time. The only aspect I dislike is slow engagement at junctions. Those few milliseconds pause are a butt clencher. When warranty expires next year I will get this remapped.

The DSG is brilliant to 98% of the time. The only aspect I dislike is slow engagement at junctions. Those few milliseconds pause are a butt clencher. When warranty expires next year I will get this remapped.
I have been training myself to apply the @WelshGas tip of stopping short then creeping forward slightly to engage the lower gearing. Seems to work well: though I only remember from time to time so it is not yet a reliable habit.

I have been training myself to apply the @WelshGas tip of stopping short then creeping forward slightly to engage the lower gearing. Seems to work well: though I only remember from time to time so it is not yet a reliable habit.
Seems a bit risky if there is traffic behind. No brake lights and if you suddenly stop you could get rear ended by an inattentive driver who thinks you're pulling away.

Seems a bit risky if there is traffic behind. No brake lights and if you suddenly stop you could get rear ended by an inattentive driver who thinks you're pulling away.
Hasn't happened in 9 yrs and 127,000 miles.

Hasn't happened in 9 yrs and 127,000 miles.
I don't want to be the exception. Too many distracted, cell phone absorbed drivers out there. And I don't think the insurance company will be too sympathetic either

I don't want to be the exception. Too many distracted, cell phone absorbed drivers out there. And I don't think the insurance company will be too sympathetic either
I don’t think you understand what is meant by stopping short and creeping forward a foot or so. In fact if you check the brake lights would still be on as you creep forward using the anti-stall system. You are not in fact taking your foot off the brake.

You say no brake lights - I think you’ll find they do show when cruise control is braking the van. I’ve seen the reflection on following cars.

My old (ex police) driving perception drivers, always taught me to collect cars behind me, upon approach to islands, junctions and the like, so they know, you know, they are there.
And stare at them in the mirror, so they know you’ll do them severe punishment if they rear end you.

I have a folding half length saw for cutting branch’s for my fire pit, will be used to cut their white knuckles from the steering wheel if they even flinch whilst behind me :thumb :thumb

We picked up our Cali Beach Camper from EV just before Christmas ( bought through Drive the Deal) . Took 8 weeks to come EV's were absolutely fine, everything was great. No dramas at all. At Christmas we used the van for sleeping in once and in the morning we noticed water on the metal edge of the roof inside and I wondered if the bellows were leaking. But I left the roof up and monitored it over the next couple of days ( it was raining) and it all seemed ok. So will see. I mentioned it to EVs when they called this week to follow up on a general check call. They said if anything reoccurs or if there is a problem then top document it and then contact any VW dealer to resolve via the warranty as per the OP

Totally agreed with OP about the DSG , the ACC, arm rests etc . It's a wonderful relaxing drive We put the arm rests down and go into " truckin' mode "

We picked up our Cali Beach Camper from EV just before Christmas ( bought through Drive the Deal) . Took 8 weeks to come EV's were absolutely fine, everything was great. No dramas at all. At Christmas we used the van for sleeping in once and in the morning we noticed water on the metal edge of the roof inside and I wondered if the bellows were leaking. But I left the roof up and monitored it over the next couple of days ( it was raining) and it all seemed ok. So will see. I mentioned it to EVs when they called this week to follow up on a general check call. They said if anything reoccurs or if there is a problem then top document it and then contact any VW dealer to resolve via the warranty as per the OP

Totally agreed with OP about the DSG , the ACC, arm rests etc . It's a wonderful relaxing drive We put the arm rests down and go into " truckin' mode "
‘we noticed water on the metal edge of the roof inside’. If you’re referring the the metal framing you see when the roof is elevated, condensation can occur here. There’s really nothing insulating the metalwork so it’s a cold bridge. We’ve dried it with a cloth in the morning if camping in a cold climate. If won’t get condensation if the roof is closed and the access hatch is closed.

‘we noticed water on the metal edge of the roof inside’. If you’re referring the the metal framing you see when the roof is elevated, condensation can occur here. There’s really nothing insulating the metalwork so it’s a cold bridge. We’ve dried it with a cloth in the morning if camping in a cold climate. If won’t get condensation if the roof is closed and the access hatch is closed.

I’m referring to the body coloured horizontal part of the roof. I guess there are lots of cold bridges up there! It makes sense as my daughter slept in the van - she was producing heat and moisture and it was pretty cold outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water on the metal ledges on the inside is quite normal. There are four of us in our van and condensation is something you may have to get use too. Open the front windows slightly during the night and this will help. Give it a quick wipe in the mornings with a microfibre cloth.