• Thread starter roblpmedinburgh
  • Start date
roblpmedinburgh

roblpmedinburgh

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
So...... 3 seater bench Beach Camper

Swansway Preston. Great service from Graham there. I think I could have saved 2% going to Breeze but it's a long way from Poole to Edinburgh..... I got the 7 am train to Preston and was back by 4:30 PM. Got a good intro to the van there. I have had a big Hymer before so fairly familiar and also had a Golf R Estate before so most of the controls are the same!! My Beach is not quite as fast.....!

So drove back 200 miles. I am really happy but some observations!

It's a great drive. I could drive thousands of miles in this thing. (I just drove from Los Angeles to Miami in a sing hire car so I am ready for anything! 3200 Miles!)

I was worried about no adjustable seat as I am 6'1" with tiny legs and a very long back but actually, there is loads of headroom. I think when I tried it before the seat was not far enough forward in a real driving position so that's great.

I specced it up so have everything nearly. I worried for an hour that I hadn't upgraded the infotainment screen. Then I drove 4 hours looking at the road and realised it didn't matter. No split screen Nav and Music on Carplay but Carplay works fine so no problem. The only option that is slightly concerning is Bridgestone Weather Control Tyres as there are negative posts on the forum about punctures. I am ancient and can change a tyre but do people just call VW assist if they have a flat tyre??

So compared to an Ocean which is not that much more expensive when you add all the options (LED headlights, Diesel Heater, AC for rear, etc etc etc) I can see that the manual roof is a bit of a hassle?! And an Electric sliding door would be nice. But then both would probably break???! But I need it for other things so perfectly happy that it is not an Ocean!

And lastly some ridiculous things.......! Manual handbrake which is in the way of a centre console! My Golf had a button....! 12V old-style sockets?????!!! Cigarette lighter? It's like the 1980s! The glove box can't even fit the manuals!! But I. think that's it so far. Then again I am gonna sleep in it 2 nights next week and will see....!

Just got rid of an EV 2 days ago and got 35mpg on the way back going 65 mph on the motorway. I loved filling up with diesel....!

On our first drive back from Swansway at Liverpool was like magic too. Couldn’t believe it was actually ours! We’d already hired a couple of Cali’s so knew we’d love it, but still, the first drive is special.

Your fuel consumption may improve over time, but then, you were travelling up hill!

So how about posting a photo of your new toy - by way of introduction !?

@roblpmedinburgh congrats

Forget the electric door - plenty of poor experiences on here, that make me glad I don’t have one.

Regarding manual roof - the electro-hydraulic roof has worked perfectly for us and I admire the engineering effort that went into it, but I see no practical advantage over manual other than potentially being able to carry and raise a slightly higher load atop (which we never have in 4.5 years of having our Cali and I can’t see us doing).

Electric handbrake would be helpful and should really be available by now..

@roblpmedinburgh

Regarding manual roof - the electro-hydraulic roof has worked perfectly for us and I admire the engineering effort that went into it, but I see no practical advantage over manual other than potentially being able to carry and raise a slightly higher load atop (which we never have in 4.5 years of having our Cali and I can’t see us doing).

You can fit uprated roof struts to a beach, which will allow greater combined load such as solar panels, surfboards, roofbox etc.

Welcome!!

Agree with others on sliding door - realistically, not a huge gain. It's not that heavy a door, and my impatience would override any value the door could bring personally. That, and they often/always break.

Roof - to be fair, i'm not sure it matters that much. Our Ocean's electric roof is great and never skipped a beat - but I also look at all these manual roofs and think "God, that was so much faster, and no need for ignition to be on, etc". That said, I had a Reimo pop top on our old T5 conversion and that was a pig to close.

Get some pics up though - we'd all love to see!

:welcome To the Beach Club

you can now proudly update your profile.

If you don’t have a photo it didn’t happen :cheers