Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading T5 upper bed lattice rost to disc springs

I just paid by credit card. No problems. Obviously just be aware that your card provider may charge you for a transaction in a foreign currency.
it hasn't given us the option only BACs or paypal!!, hence the question, thanks for your prompt reply. Has it improved the upper bed for you?

Gosh, apologies - I've just double-checked and I did use PayPal. I have a credit card saved on my PayPal account. Used that without any issues. I chose to pay in EUR not GBP on the PayPal screen, because then the exchange rate is set by my credit card provider and not PayPal (who tend to fleece you).

I fitted it yesterday, so haven't had chance to sleep in it yet, but it felt pretty good. One thing that I didn't see on the site is that the default package does in fact have two different heights of springs. From the (Google-translated) installation instructions:
Bar 1: 7 flat springs
Bar 2 & 3: a flat spring on each side, 5 high springs in the middle;
Bars 4 to 7: 7 high springs;
Bar 8: 7 flat springs;

Bar 8 is at the front of the van, i.e. where your head is, so it's a bit weird to have your head lower than your shoulders. I've not had a pillow in there yet, though, so full assessment yet to be carried out.

The springs are very easy to remove from the frame, so it would be possible to swap some around. However, it's not clear whether the default configuration is designed for comfort in the middle of the mattress and less at the edges, or simply to do with roof clearance over the width/length of the Cali.

Gosh, apologies - I've just double-checked and I did use PayPal. I have a credit card saved on my PayPal account. Used that without any issues. I chose to pay in EUR not GBP on the PayPal screen, because then the exchange rate is set by my credit card provider and not PayPal (who tend to fleece you).

I fitted it yesterday, so haven't had chance to sleep in it yet, but it felt pretty good. One thing that I didn't see on the site is that the default package does in fact have two different heights of springs. From the (Google-translated) installation instructions:
Bar 1: 7 flat springs
Bar 2 & 3: a flat spring on each side, 5 high springs in the middle;
Bars 4 to 7: 7 high springs;
Bar 8: 7 flat springs;

Bar 8 is at the front of the van, i.e. where your head is, so it's a bit weird to have your head lower than your shoulders. I've not had a pillow in there yet, though, so full assessment yet to be carried out.

The springs are very easy to remove from the frame, so it would be possible to swap some around. However, it's not clear whether the default configuration is designed for comfort in the middle of the mattress and less at the edges, or simply to do with roof clearance over the width/length of the Cali.

From what I could determine, I think the spring heights are designed to fit into the available space with the roof closed, from below and above, canvas folded and I think the front ones are raised to clear the roller blind.

Great, I actually meant the lower bed. I never sleep upside, it's for our kids 10 and 12 currently :)
@kave, I see on their website they now offer the downstairs system for the Beach:

VW-California-squERGO-Matratze-Lattenrost-33-scaled.jpg

Here a small update from our side. This X-mas holiday trip we experimented a little with various spring disc setups, in consultation with Squergo.

We have arrived at this final setup:
  • Bart is more of a side sleeper, so in his shoulder area we placed somewhat weaker springs (light grey), so that his shoulders will lie a little ‘deeper’. In his waist a row of somewhat stronger (dark grey) springs, and then below the hips the ’average’ (green) springs. Thus, with also a slightly larger cushion than before, his spine is ’horizontal’ when on his side.
  • Marga too has the weaker shoulder area, but she didn’t like the stronger row in the waist area. So, on her half, we placed the ‘average’ (green) discs in that row.
So now we have a different set up on each of our halves of the bed, each to our own liking and sleeper profile. It really is a world of difference, compared to the standard lattice rost!

Morning,

Can the people who bought this let me know how they are getting on with the new beds? Still reliable, comfortable etc.?

Many thanks

Morning,

Can the people who bought this let me know how they are getting on with the new beds? Still reliable, comfortable etc.?

Many thanks
I would love to let you know how it is going but since I fitted the new springs back in December we have not had the chance to try them out properly because of lockdown, our first trip is booked in for May after we have been to see Family for the first time since last July.
Once we have tested properly I'll let you know our thoughts then.

We have arrived at this final setup:
  • Bart is more of a side sleeper, so in his shoulder area we placed somewhat weaker springs (light grey), so that his shoulders will lie a little ‘deeper’. In his waist a row of somewhat stronger (dark grey) springs, and then below the hips the ’average’ (green) springs. Thus, with also a slightly larger cushion than before, his spine is ’horizontal’ when on his side.
  • Marga too has the weaker shoulder area, but she didn’t like the stronger row in the waist area. So, on her half, we placed the ‘average’ (green) discs in that row.
Are the springs you mention here all the same height, @bvddobb ? I'm looking for some softer springs, but the Squergo website just lists three different heights (20mm, 30mm, 40mm) and says that taller ones are more comfrotable. It makes no mention of different colours or even spring strengths. But I'm working through Google Translate, so may be misinterpreting things!

They are all the same height, yes, except the first row on the front, these are a bit lower because of the lesser room one has there when the ceiling is closed. The color codes refer to weaker/stronger springs, not higher/lower. We have some dark grey (strongest), some light grey (weakest) and a lot of green springs (average).

[EDIT]We have to correct this, we were too quick with our answer: there are some lower springs here and there on some of the edges. Probably to do with the closing of the roof. See this post in this thread.[/EDIT]

Last edited:
That's really helpful, thanks. I'll get in touch with them directly about the light grey ones.

That's really helpful, thanks. I'll get in touch with them directly about the light grey ones.
Please check the edit in our earlier answer above... we were not completely correct!

Did anyone weigh the parts that they removed to check how much is added by this upgrade? On the squergo site it says 7.9kg, but I guess you probably removed around 3-4kg of wood in the process?

Did anyone weigh the parts that they removed to check how much is added by this upgrade? On the squergo site it says 7.9kg, but I guess you probably removed around 3-4kg of wood in the process?
I have just weighted a slat for you.

1 slat with the two rubber ends ~360g ( i am sure there is part to part difference)

19 slats are replaced = so ~6.9kg.

7.9kg If that is the package weight, it came with a big thick box and lots of packaging.

I haven't noticed any difference pre and post the upgrade in terms of lifting the bed up.

A

Last edited:
I have just weighted a slat for you.

1 slat with the two rubber ends ~360g ( i am sure there is part to part difference)

19 slats are replaced = so ~6.9kg.

7.9kg If that is the package weight, it came with a big thick box and lots of packaging.

I haven't noticed any difference pre and post the upgrade in terms of lifting the bed up.

A
Thanks a lot!

I was looking at the same information, just to see if the bed slat/froli swap would bring any weight benefit. On the german forum the 19 slats weighted at 7.8kg. The Froli including the rivets 7.9 Kg. Basically no difference.

does anyone know if the squergo system increases the load capacity of the upper bed above the 150kg limit stated in the manual?

does anyone know if the squergo system increases the load capacity of the upper bed above the 150kg limit stated in the manual?
Just drop Squergo a note: they are very approachable and helpful.
On the german forum there are posts from a guy over 100 kg and his wife of approx 60 kg. We are about 85 and 75 respectively. Was never an issue.

On the german forum there are posts from a guy over 100 kg and his wife of approx 60 kg. We are about 85 and 75 respectively. Was never an issue.
Safe working loads are never close to the breaking point, 150 kg is the nominal maximum, I would guess at least a 25% overload before possible failure, probably.

Many thanks. i will email and update on reply.

Safe working loads are never close to the breaking point, 150 kg is the nominal maximum, I would guess at least a 25% overload before possible failure, probably.
many thanks. i will email sqgo and update with reply

Back