Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading T5 upper bed lattice rost to disc springs

No problem. It looks good, but I can't say I particularly understand the pricing at €249 when the entire upstairs bed is €299.

Just an update:

I have made contact with squERGO, they have now agreed to ship to the UK (previously they did not), several forum members have been in touch, so they have agreed to include the UK, but only for a short period to start with up to mid Dec. They need to stop shipping to the UK at that point until they understand the consequences of any customs changes due to Brexit and update their systems.

FYI. They have charged me €10.90 for shipping to UK for the roof system.

A

Last edited:
Hi Bart, looks like a nice upgrade and makes me wonder if i could fix that system to my upper bed in the Exclusive, perhaps mounting it only to the part you pull out and where you put your back and shoulders on. Would be interested to see "in real life", so if you consider moving south during the next months, would be happy to see you passing by!
Greetz

Hi Bart, looks like a nice upgrade and makes me wonder if i could fix that system to my upper bed in the Exclusive, perhaps mounting it only to the part you pull out and where you put your back and shoulders on. Would be interested to see "in real life", so if you consider moving south during the next months, would be happy to see you passing by!
Greetz
Bart, I don’t think any of us will be crossing the border anytime soon...

There exists still this system, that can be built in anywhere, supposedly: https://www.obelink.nl/froli-mobil-bedsysteem-basispakket.html

I tried ordering earlier but UK isn't in the shipping menu. I've emailed them so fingers crossed there's some secret process!

Edit: My schoolboy German has let me down! I was looking for Great Britain or England, but they have "Vereinigtes Königreich", i.e. United Kingdom.

Last edited:
Now something like this for the three seater Beach would be nice :)
The top bed is the same in the Beach, isn't it? So you can install it there, no problem, See the german Caliboard thread (linker higher up in this thread), several have done it. I only understand that for some reason the roof system on a Beach is slightly different, so they can not have as high a mattress as in the Ocean, I believe I read Beach 5.5 cm, Ocean 6 cm.

Great, I actually meant the lower bed. I never sleep upside, it's for our kids 10 and 12 currently :)

I’ve not had an issue with the upstairs bed personally.
But down stairs could be improved.
Only problem, I have rear shelf on high setting to allow clearance for stuff under the shelf...
I wonder if it could be adopted to work in the high position?

I’ve not had an issue with the upstairs bed personally.
But down stairs could be improved.
Only problem, I have rear shelf on high setting to allow clearance for stuff under the shelf...
I wonder if it could be adopted to work in the high position?
This is my dilemma. I am very happy with the upstairs current bed in my California but occasionally need to be able to sleep downstairs either due to adverse weather and concern for the roof/water spray via the air vents in the front corners or the canvas(have had to resort to gaffer taping them over in rain and moderate breeze when I cannot get the roof tail end into the wind).
So the need for a full downstairs mattress topper carried “just in case” on top of the rear shelf is pointless.
My view was that the new squergo shelf in top position with the original VW “uncomfortable” mattress cut down or a new bespoke foam piece in the original cover, allowing the original shelf and mattress to be preserved, and a self inflating roll mattress (SIM) which is much easier to store for occasional use would be a viable option.
NB the squergo rear shelf is 8cm shorter than the original, allowing the rear seat to be positionEd further back and giving better access to the left hand cupboard with seat n the travel position and easier access to the right hand cupboard when bed in use.
The slight step between shelf mattress and bed should be easily bridged by the SIM.
As @haydnw2 comments “ can’t say I particularly understand the pricing at €249 when the entire upstairs bed is €299 but the concept of springing and the original foam mattress plus a 7cm sim in this area of the downstairs bed instead of a few cm of foam and a steel grid has to be more compliant and comfortable.
Think this would be a viable solution.

Any views?

We must say we do not quite understand the downstairs option from a sleeping comfort perspective.

The odd occasion where we sleep downstairs, we sleep with our heads to the front, not to the rear. Like that, the space for our schoulders is wider and for our feet smaller, we prefer that to the other way around. But spring discs just for our feet, and our bodies still on the hard folded down rear bench, seems a strange investment.

When one sleeps with the heads toward the rear, it seems just one‘s shoulders are on the spring discs. Waist, bottom and legs are still on the bench. Where is the extra comfort then?

Last edited:
We must say we do not quite understand the downstairs option from a sleeping comfort perspective.

The odd occasion where we sleep downstairs, we sleep with our heads to the front, not to the rear. Like that, the space for our schoulders is wider and for our feet smaller, we prefer that to the other way around. But spring discs just for our feet, and our bodies still on the hard folded down rear bench, seems a strange investment.

When one sleeps with the heads toward the rear, it seems just one‘s shoulders are on the spring discs. Waist, bottom and legs are still on the bench. Where is the extra comfort then?

If the head and shoulders are comfortable. You will sleep well. I sleep on my side and most my weight will be in my shoulders at night.
At home I use 1 pillow. In the van I need two. Probably because my shoulders do not sink into the bed and thus I need my head raised further.

I imagine the discs system downstairs would give some extra comfort...

We have decided to upgrade our T5 top bed lattice rost to a disc spring system like available in the T6.1 series.

We nearly always sleep upstairs on our Calibed Roof II mattress and until recently we slept very well. But since Marga's back hernia she was less comfortable and of course the lattice rost has always had one big inherent issue: the 'coupling' of sleepers upstairs. If one turns, the other bobs up-and-down. The disc spring system is said to be more comfortable and it solves the 'coupling issue'.

By now, VW offers an upgrade set. Here, we can have it for about € 600.-, incl. installation. Already very soon after VW's announcement of the 6.1, the german firm Squergo offered an upgrade kit. Incl. shipping it costs around € 320.- and supposedly it can be installed by yourself in about 1.5 hrs, without the need to remove the roof tent or inner roof lining. It looks like this:

VW_California_squERGO_Dachbett_Unterfederung-6-scaled.jpg

Since the announcement of the disc system by VW, an extensive thread emanated on the german Caliboard forum about the possibilities of an upgrade.
The common opinion there is that the Squergo system is more comfortable and versatile than the VW upgrade. The Squergo system has a bigger spring depth and can have a thicker mattress than the VW system. Also, Squergo offers different disc springs (weaker/stronger, higher/lower springs), so one can more easily adapt the system to individual needs, e.g. more or less lumbar or shoulder support, etc. The german forum has a good story about a man weighing 120 kg with a wife weighing 60 kg who can now both sleep comfortably upstairs without the bed being too soft for the one, or too hard for the other. The VW system cannot be adapted to individual needs.

So, we decided to go for the Squergo system.

Those who know us better know we are not THAT versatile DIY'ers, but this little Youtube movie gave us the necessary trust we could do it:

So we have ordered the upgrade kit from Squergo, ordered a riveting thingy from Amazon (?? never riveted anything in our life before...), everything supposed to be delivered the coming week... Then wait for a morning or afternoon of good weather so we can put the van in front with the roof up, and go to work... :Nailbiting

To be continued...
Did you have any issues with delivery as my purchase has been flagged as cancelled with dhl, no explanation given and no responce to email as yet
thanks.

Mine arrived in just over a week. I would double check the UK DHL site or use the international DHL site. I have had issues were the DHL DE site no longer recognises the parcel once it has left Germany.

Did you have any issues with delivery as my purchase has been flagged as cancelled with dhl, no explanation given and no responce to email as yet
thanks.
No, no issues at all. Ordered in a weekend, delivered a few days later.

I know they set up delivery to the UK only recently, they had not foreseen any UK orders this side of Brexit. Perhaps something went wrong, there... I’d give them a ring; here, with forum members in NL and in DE, they have been very flexible and responsive.

Same here - arrived on Thursday without any problems. Although no instructions in the box, so fingers crossed I can glean enough info from the YouTube video!

Same here - arrived on Thursday without any problems. Although no instructions in the box, so fingers crossed I can glean enough info from the YouTube video!
Instructions are on the website, in German, if you open in Google Docs then you can use Translate in the tools menu.

The key things to watch are the cross bars have bend in them, they need to bend upwards at the front and if you have the 4 bar version, the bars with the extra holes for the blind brackets go to the outside, again with the bend going upwards. I also had to remove the button studs for the safety net as the runners don't clear them.

We have been following this post with great interest and are about to place our order for the top bed, am I correct in thinking that the extra bars in the more expensive package would be stronger and therefore best suited for two adults?
Or do I just get the cheaper standard two bar system?

We have been following this post with great interest and are about to place our order for the top bed, am I correct in thinking that the extra bars in the more expensive package would be stronger and therefore best suited for two adults?
Or do I just get the cheaper standard two bar system?
The stronger version is said to be better suited for ‘duo sleepers’.

Not so much because it’s stronger, as well as that the longitudinal bars in the simpler version are just below the sleepers, giving the discs there less room to go down. In the stronger version they are more to the sides of the sleepers, thus allowing more depth where you lie. And thus supposedly more comfort.

The stronger version is said to be better suited for ‘duo sleepers’.

Not so much because it’s stronger, as well as that the longitudinal bars in the simpler version are just below the sleepers, giving the discs less room to go down. In the stronger version they are more to the sides of the sleepers, thus allowing more depth where you lie. And thus supposedly more comfort.
Thanks for this information I'll be getting the four bar system as a Christmas present for the wife! Yes I know I spoil her.

Can I ask how you paid for your order? Did you get charged extra if using paypal, Was there a credit card option?? Just a bit nervous sending a bank transfer. Thanks

I just paid by credit card. No problems. Obviously just be aware that your card provider may charge you for a transaction in a foreign currency.

Back