Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TSI Opinions

Yes, I guess my thread has started to drift somewhat. Beach is on the cards still but will look into other options to get the right engine and gearbox choice. Again, any advice on who to trust would be greatly appreciated but will look on the other forums for options on this particular point.

@Plainoldmatt you might have written it, but I somehow must have missed it. Why are you so determined to get Petrol over Diesel? Is it because of some environmental politics locally in the UK? Or just personal preference?

Yes, I guess my thread has started to drift somewhat. Beach is on the cards still but will look into other options to get the right engine and gearbox choice. Again, any advice on who to trust would be greatly appreciated but will look on the other forums for options on this particular point.
My son, who has a T5 full conversion would highly recommend Dirty Weekenders of Worcester.

http://www.dirty-weekender.com/contact/

I can see one great advantage in conversions for RHD - you can get the entrance on the right (Left) side towards the sidewalk. Which again is a disadvantage when travelling abroad.

@Plainoldmatt you might have written it, but I somehow must have missed it. Why are you so determined to get Petrol over Diesel? Is it because of some environmental politics locally in the UK? Or just personal preference?
Hi Kmann, I've had many diesels, probably the best car I've owned was a 335D but the cars we own now are both petrol and even though they are pretty ordinary cars the petrol engine has brought back quite a lot of fun to the driving experience. I stayed away from petrol for a long time thinking the big torque figure was everything but I've enjoyed having to drive the cars a bit more, they still have plenty of power being turbo petrol just have a bit more about them, it's very subjective I admit. I'd like to keep that character even if it is a van, it will become my daily driver but I only do about 30 miles a day so mpg isn't a big factor.

I'm still hooked on the idea of a beach but will look at the other options. We've done quite a lot of camping over the years but not in a van so the beach as a ready to go preposition is still a good option for us and I thought the fit and finish of the one we tried was excellent.

Hi Kmann, I've had many diesels, probably the best car I've owned was a 335D but the cars we own now are both petrol and even though they are pretty ordinary cars the petrol engine has brought back quite a lot of fun to the driving experience. I stayed away from petrol for a long time thinking the big torque figure was everything but I've enjoyed having to drive the cars a bit more, they still have plenty of power being turbo petrol just have a bit more about them, it's very subjective I admit. I'd like to keep that character even if it is a van, it will become my daily driver but I only do about 30 miles a day so mpg isn't a big factor.

I'm still hooked on the idea of a beach but will look at the other options. We've done quite a lot of camping over the years but not in a van so the beach as a ready to go preposition is still a good option for us and I thought the fit and finish of the one we tried was excellent.

None can argue with personal preferences. So it makes sense. But If you haven't already, I would recommend trying the Petrol vs Diesel at a dealer (if possible). I also have been thru Petrols and Diesel cars. And ended to be delighted with the Diesel over the Petrol, especially when it comes to panelvans (wish a California basically is). Albeit it took me a long time to get used (satisfied) to the Diesel feel and sound when I got my first Diesel car. But it was a long time ago, and a lot has changed. Now I don't even think about it.

If I went down the Kombi and conversion route do I still get to be part of the forum? I actually started looking at the Kombi and moved up the model ranges, didn't occur to look back at it for the right engine and transmission choice. Looks like it could be a goer (204 TSI DSG) knowing I'm looking for a beach esk spec and not a full Ocean. Discounts also seem higher on the Kombi than on the Cali (some brokers at 15%) and the Kombi can be had with all the options as the beach, including the programmable heater. I'm going to look into it further.

@soulstyledevon, could you share the other companies you rate for conversion work?

New wave
Celtic
Three Bridge

In that order.

Last edited:
Right

Well the Petrol this week returned about 22mpg city driving mainly.
Very poor, especially as there isn’t much in it.

It’s made my mind up.
Stick with diesel for the moment. Diesel suits a heavy vehicle which requires torque and efficiency.
Honestly feels like I’m refilling every few days.

Agree with soulstyledevon's decision. Small 1L diesels don't make any sense but heavier vehicles with loads (California) are much better with diesel engines if going to be used for touring. If main use is for short local journeys with infrequent touring is the California or any campervan the right choice of vehicle? :Iamsorry

I've a Diesel T6 150ps, manual, FWD, 7-Seater Beach.....

I've been "religiously" recording my fuel usage with an app called "Road Trip"

Stats thus far, from day one, mile zero......

22,490 miles driven - 3,121 litres tipped into the tank = So, thats an average of 33.25 MPG

If buying again, I'd go for the same.... Adding DSG, if funds allowed.

I have the factory fit, Eberspächer overnight/parking diesel heater.... I use it quite a lot, having overnighted in the van 98x nights since I got it, so the usage of this is included in the above figures.

In short, Yes:D

Anyone who shares the camper experience and lifestyle is most welcome.

Although we may have to tease you about having carpet on the walls :thumb
:welcome

I know you mentioned you weren't worried about mpg at the start of the thread but lots including me are. I wouldn't buy a s/h petrol so not sure what depreceation will be like or if you are concerned about this?

I know you mentioned you weren't worried about mpg at the start of the thread but lots including me are. I wouldn't buy a s/h petrol so not sure what depreceation will be like or if you are concerned about this?

Fuel consumption wouldn’t be a worry if the engine was better. Give me a 3.0V6 and I understand it will be thirsty, but more importantly a pleasure to drive.
Unfortunately the 2.0 4pot isn’t a pleasure to drive in the same sense and drinks quite a bit of fuel.

I am potentially changing van soon and it’s made my mind up.
I will be buying the diesel 150bhp with DSG.

Great choice!
I have had 5 Transporters. 102,140, 2 x 180 dsg and now 150 dsg.

I really cant fault the 150dsg, it is as quick as my 2 previous 180 1 was a Caravelle exec, the other a lwb highline Kombi.

The bonnet is showing a few scars though after 12k miles !

We have done quite a bit more thinking and looking this weekend. As we are just getting into it decided that we don't have enough know how to go the conversion route, too many possibilities for us to go wrong.

So back to main thread at hand on the petrol vs diesel debate and to the point on residuals. I've had quote back for finance for both the DSG 150 TDI and the 150 TSI Manual Beach, the difference in monthlies is almost non existent based on the fact the residual on the petrol is much lower which counteracts the cheaper purchase price even though the TDI has the DSG and ACC. In the end it obviously still costs more but as with all man maths I'll just forget that.

Right now we have gone back to factory spec Beach 150 TDI DSG with ACC.

We have done quite a bit more thinking and looking this weekend. As we are just getting into it decided that we don't have enough know how to go the conversion route, too many possibilities for us to go wrong.

So back to main thread at hand on the petrol vs diesel debate and to the point on residuals. I've had quote back for finance for both the DSG 150 TDI and the 150 TSI Manual Beach, the difference in monthlies is almost non existent based on the fact the residual on the petrol is much lower which counteracts the cheaper purchase price even though the TDI has the DSG and ACC. In the end it obviously still costs more but as with all man maths I'll just forget that.

Right now we have gone back to factory spec Beach 150 TDI DSG with ACC.

Have you considered the Eberspächer overnight/parking heater? It's a "must have" accessory for most.... Even if you don't think you'll need it yourself, it might would be worth considering for re-sale advantage alone.

The comfort mattress, comfort interior light pack, exterior pack (which includes upgraded HID headlights and cornering lights,) extra keys and the awning are all items, which are more expensive to add later.

Last edited:
Have you considered the Eberspächer overnight/parking heater? It's a "must have" accessory for most.... Even if you don't think you'll need it yourself, it might would be worth considering for re-sale advantage alone.

The comfort mattress, comfort interior light pack, exterior pack (which includes upgraded HID headlights and cornering lights) and the awning are all items, which are more expensive to add later.

2nd that.
Plus would add comfort dash which gives full climatic.
That’s whats going on our next Beach

The comfort mattress, comfort interior light pack, exterior pack (which includes upgraded HID headlights and cornering lights) and the awning are all items, which are more expensive to add later.
Oh yes we have a long list of options including the parking heater which will be good for the early morning trips to the train station as well as camping I think. The longer we take to decide the bigger the list seams to get.

The longer we take to decide the bigger the list seams to get.

Ha! Sounds about right.... We placed our order, then added to it a few weeks after.... There is some manoeuvrability to add/remove items, after the order has been placed with the Dealer.... However, once the order is confirmed by the factory, and a provisional build-date is assigned, the order is locked-in, and can no longer be amended.

Our options are as follows and I think we are pretty set on this config. Only thing not on there is an upgrade to the alloys as I'd like the Palmerston 18" wheels which don't seem to be available on the beach plus it seems they are cheaper to buy from the tinterweb than as original equipment. We are now just deciding whether to go for it prior to Nov 1st of have one last trial in one early next year.

Paint - Metallic - Indium Grey
Upholstery - Alcantara
Cruise Control - Adaptive including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking - Max Speed 99mph
Heated Driver and Front Passenger Seats
Laminated Glass for Improved Outside Noise Insulation
Leather Multi-Function Steering Wheel and Gear Knob with Radio and Telephone Controls
LED Headlights with LED Daytime Running and Tailgate with Red Tail Lights
Reversing Camera with Front and Rear Parking Sensors
Programmable Parking Heater - Air with Radio Remote Control and Auxiliary Heater
Lights and Vision Package
Discover Media Navigation System
2 Swivel Seats with Longitudinal Adjustment on Rail System in 2nd Row
Bed Extension with Comfort Sleeping Mat
Comfort Dashboard Package
Interior Light Concept for Camper Comfort in Passenger Compartment
Seats - 3-Seater Bench Movable with Reclining Seat Mechanism and Multi-Flex Board
Front Fog Lights with Cornering Lights
Heavy-Duty Anti-Roll Bars - Front and Rear
Awning

@Plainoldmatt: Nice specs. Seems like a very nice adventure you are about to start. Did you settle on the 150 TDI DSG then?

Love your specs BTW. Personally, I would only change the Discover Navigation System and Alcantara for 4 Motion ;-)

Palmerston 18" wheels

I think it's a good call to stick to 16" or 17", as then you will get a spare wheel.... If you select 18", the spare wheel is removed and you get a gel repair pack instead.

I would stick to 16/17", they'll become your winter set (if you want to keep a winter set with winter tyres etc.) and the 18" will look smart whilst retaining a "get you home / space saver" spare.

This was my plan..... But I've found the 17" cascavals quite nice, and haven purchased a set of 18" yet.

I think it's a good call to stick to 16" or 17", as then you will get a spare wheel.... If you select 18", the spare wheel is removed and you get a gel repair pack instead.

I would stick to 16/17", they'll become your winter set (if you want to keep a winter set with winter tyres etc.) and the 18" will look smart whilst retaining a "get you home / space saver" spare.

This was my plan..... But I've found the 17" cascavals quite nice, and haven purchased a set of 18" yet.

That's what I did as … just make sure the circumstance is not to different between the spare and the new 18". In fact, if you have a 4Motion it has to match up very close I was told.

Back