Transparent Roof Canvason the T6?

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Another thread pointed me to a nice T6 video from VW Liverpool. It looks great but (BUT) what have they done with the roof canvas?
naked.JPG

Remember, this is in Liverpool on a grey January day. Having a translucent roof will cause different problems to different folks (!) but I'm amazed at the lack of thought.

Perhaps they are in league with Nick at Comfortz to drive up sales of Toppers?
Video here

I had the same thought when I look at this "tent" on earlier T6 post. Just wondering what my new canvas will be like when replaced as part of the roof repair next month

I was looking at a T6 Ocean today in Poole and noticed the change of material used for the roof. It is now a nylon fabric rather than the thicker tent type canvas used before. So I am not surprised it lets in the light a little more.

The design looks the same as the recent version being fitted to T5s, with 5 elasticated folder bars, so it remains to be seen if it is less prone to cuts from the scissor mechanism.

Alan

Certainly won't be a need for a "don't come knocking if the van is rocking" sign - if you've got the fancy new roof lamps lit!
dont.JPG T

Last edited:
Another thread pointed me to a nice T6 video from VW Liverpool. It looks great but (BUT) what have they done with the roof canvas?
View attachment 11763

Remember, this is in Liverpool on a grey January day. Having a translucent roof will cause different problems to different folks (!) but I'm amazed at the lack of thought.

Perhaps they are in league with Nick at Comfortz to drive up sales of Toppers?
Video here
The other Topic about fitting Blackout Material to the windscreen blinds etc: seems a little superfluous!

I think ALL the T6 owners are going to be " Early Risers ". So if you want a lie in and have a T5 California better not pitch up next to one!!;)

That's progress for you. :D:D:D

And don't park side-on to the sun rise.....
boner.png

We have not long picked up our T6 Ocean and have not camped out yet, I have just been outside to check and the canvas is terribly light, its is nothing like the T5 Cali that we hired back in March last year. Very disapointed. Do we need to buy an iso top now?

You may have a job getting brandrup stuff as VW no longer stock it. As above
Give nick a ring at comfortz

Well worth becoming a California Club VIP member to get your discount for the CaliCosy from Comfortz.

Must be careful now. 9 posts by T4 / T5 owners and only 1 by a new T6 owner. We'll be accused of bias.;);)

Mind you we'll probably get more when the lighter mornings come along.:thumb

Looks like my forthcoming book "sexual positions in a pop top roof" may have to be shelved! sex-in-bed-silhouette-sticker-4953.jpg

Or can you?

Haaa good posts gents.
Could be something like this if it's parked on a dodgy site

You can't do that one in a smurf top :D
First problem is, it's not the best 'pulling' machine, but on the plus side, you can stand up....
stand2.jpg

It's swings and roundabouts, really. I've not had a T5 (so I've got no comparison to make anyway) but my T6 Beach's roof will be mostly up to make my van into a day van. Therefore, the lighter, the better! If I want dark, I'll sleep downstairs.

What a laugh. I can imagine a few T6 owners emptying camp sites at alarming rates.
Mind you, they'll have the facilities all to themselves! Not all bad...:rolleyes:

As a (delayed) T6 owner ... let me be the first to say to the T4/T5 guys... I bow to your superiority :embarrased
You've definitely got us beat on this one, so fair play ;) not 4 play :bananadance

First problem is, it's not the best 'pulling' machine, but on the plus side, you can stand up....
View attachment 11770
You say that, but... I was telling a client in the North East about my new purchase and he said that he wished he had had one when he was in his twenties: "Would have made a great shaggin' wagon!", apparently.
(please add Geordie accent when reading quote - it adds to the reasons as to why I laughed out loud).

My T5 goes in for the roof rot/corrosion work on Tuesday. I will be really disappointed if it comes back with a nylon roof canvas. Will feel like a cheap single skin pop-up tent from halfords.

My T5 goes in for the roof rot/corrosion work on Tuesday. I will be really disappointed if it comes back with a nylon roof canvas. Will feel like a cheap single skin pop-up tent from halfords.
No offence to those people waiting for their £50k cheap pop up tent Californias, of course.

We have recently taken delivery of our new T6 Ocean and the canvas materal is a joke, we have been back to VW to tell them this is not fit for purpose.
Last weekend we camped out on the drive and when the light is on inside you can see every movement from outside of the van, also in daylight the light just pours into the van upstairs which is not a problem this time of year but what happend come July? Is anyone else reporting this to VW?

Thanks

Pete

Back