Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Transit Custom

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I had a bit of spare time yesterday so took the opportunity to test drive one.
Was a nice drive but the central console containing the radio and heater controls was miles away! A bit silly really. I reckon it's geared towards LHD.
Also the engine sounded agricultural and quite noisy though the salesman told me when I got back that the noise was due to a missing gromet.
I'm not a bling merchant but it definitely needs bigger wheels as the standard 15" steels look tiny!
I've started looking as a replacement for my work transporter but I mention this as I know there is a nice camper conversion based on it.
In all I was a bit disappointed with it and price wise it wouldn't be any cheaper than the vw so will probably be sticking with the transporter for my next van.
When's the T6 due again?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Freeley said:
I had a bit of spare time yesterday so took the opportunity to test drive one.
Was a nice drive but the central console containing the radio and heater controls was miles away! A bit silly really. I reckon it's geared towards LHD.
Also the engine sounded agricultural and quite noisy though the salesman told me when I got back that the noise was due to a missing gromet.
I'm not a bling merchant but it definitely needs bigger wheels as the standard 15" steels look tiny!
I've started looking as a replacement for my work transporter but I mention this as I know there is a nice camper conversion based on it.
In all I was a bit disappointed with it and price wise it wouldn't be any cheaper than the vw so will probably be sticking with the transporter for my next van.
When's the T6 due again?

Thanks for posting - interesting - I don't like Ford interiors and I don't like what I've seen of the new Transit Custom. I have drive the old Transit and it was a nice drive.

The problem for me is that the Transit always feels like a commercial vehicle - the Transporter is also built for the Car Market in Multivan guise and I think that shows. Plus the level of equipment of Fords in my view is always behind others they always tend to follow.

Finally - it's not a VW :)

That's certainly true of the old transit which definitely drove like a "van" and was a bit archaic.
The custom on the other hand is much more car like and drives similarly to the transporter but for work specific reasons I don't think it will work for me.
Equipment levels are pretty good looking at the brochure probably better than the transporter and 155ps is certainly welcome!
Fuel economy looks excellent with ford's figures giving over 40mpg. I reset the trip computer for the last 10 miles and driving at just under 60 it was showing over 50mpg.

Freeley said:
That's certainly true of the old transit which definitely drove like a "van" and was a bit archaic.
The custom on the other hand is much more car like and drives similarly to the transporter but for work specific reasons I don't think it will work for me.
Equipment levels are pretty good looking at the brochure probably better than the transporter and 155ps is certainly welcome!
Fuel economy looks excellent with ford's figures giving over 40mpg. I reset the trip computer for the last 10 miles and driving at just under 60 it was showing over 50mpg.

Be interesting to see where the T6 comes in - it needs to be good. As much as i don't like the promise of hybrids, I do wonder if that will be something VW will introduce.

James

Back