Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Today's Cali WTF!! Moment

D

DaveB

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Popped the bonnet to check the oil level and the filler cap was missing. I guess I forgot to replace it last time round and knowing me would have put it on the engine block.

So I get under the van to have a rummage round and see if it is still on the van somewhere. I was hoping it was caught in the under van engine protector thingy. Luckily I have years of caving experience and manage to squeeze underneath without ramps. Even luckier I have twiglet arms and can get a hand into the interior, a quick fumble and I feel something move, it's the cap!!

It took me nearly ten minutes of careful fiddling to inch the cap out of the engine bay. The restricted location meant I dropped it twice and swore my tits off (sorry neighbours). Finally I had it in a tenuous grip between 2 fingers and gingerly lifted it out of the bay. I crawled back out into daylight to survey my prize and herewith came the WTF.

It wasn't the oil filler cap. It was the engine coolant filler cap. But that wasn't missing. WTF?

I guess some VW mechanic dropped one in my engine and couldn't be arsed to retrieve it. This is a 2016 van. So if anyone loses theirs give me a shout. At the moment it is cabled tied over the oil filler pipe as a temp until I can find a replacement filler cap. Any ideas where to get one from?

Popped the bonnet to check the oil level and the filler cap was missing. I guess I forgot to replace it last time round and knowing me would have put it on the engine block.

So I get under the van to have a rummage round and see if it is still on the van somewhere. I was hoping it was caught in the under van engine protector thingy. Luckily I have years of caving experience and manage to squeeze underneath without ramps. Even luckier I have twiglet arms and can get a hand into the interior, a quick fumble and I feel something move, it's the cap!!

It took me nearly ten minutes of careful fiddling to inch the cap out of the engine bay. The restricted location meant I dropped it twice and swore my tits off (sorry neighbours). Finally I had it in a tenuous grip between 2 fingers and gingerly lifted it out of the bay. I crawled back out into daylight to survey my prize and herewith came the WTF.

It wasn't the oil filler cap. It was the engine coolant filler cap. But that wasn't missing. WTF?

I guess some VW mechanic dropped one in my engine and couldn't be arsed to retrieve it. This is a 2016 van. So if anyone loses theirs give me a shout. At the moment it is cabled tied over the oil filler pipe as a temp until I can find a replacement filler cap. Any ideas where to get one from?
VW?
Part 25 on the enclosed link. Scroll down to get the VW part number.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...103/subcategory/103060/part_id/3685734/lang/e

Has it sprayed oil around?
Service last year and they didn't push the dipstick in properly resulting in oil all over the engine bay. They did a decent job of cleaning it up, steam clean I guess but really surprised at the mess.. Just shows how the crankcase is pressurised.

Back