Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fresh water tank vent?

Is your water cap vented or not (easy to test, just try blowing threw it from rear side)

I use the factory supplied non-vented cap when travelling with full water tank, and the swap to a vented cap when I arrive at campsite.

Non-vented cap should stop water spilling out if fitted properly
I have a non vented cap as far as I can tell and again as far as I can see the water comes from behind the cap. I don't get any vacumn suction sounds when I take the cap off so I am a little stumped on this one.

I have a non vented cap as far as I can tell and again as far as I can see the water comes from behind the cap. I don't get any vacumn suction sounds when I take the cap off so I am a little stumped on this one.
Does the cap have the large black rubber washer/gasket fitted around the white plastic? The gasket has come off mine before

Mine looks exactly like your photo. I'll take some other photos of locked and unlocked and send to you if you dont mind just to see if \i sm doing something wrong.

Clockwise - Locked, Anticlockwise - Unlocked (After pushing cap firmly "home")

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

Clockwise - Locked, Anticlockwise - Unlocked (After pushing cap firmly "home")
Once it’s locked you should be able to twist it repeatedly in any direction, as all locking does is disengage the front from the rear.

When fitting, line up the 3 tabs on the cap with the 3 lug holes on the van. They push in and rotate clockwise. The ‘push-in’ bit is vital

Once it’s locked you should be able to twist it repeatedly in any direction, as all locking does is disengage the front from the rear.

When fitting, line up the 3 tabs on the cap with the 3 lug holes on the van. They push in and rotate clockwise. The ‘push-in’ bit is vital
I meant ‘Then push in and rotate’

I feel I am doing everything right. The cap is currently locked and rotates in all directions. I will be using the Cali later today. I will let you know if the problem is cured. Wont be until tomorrow, but thanks for all you help so far

I have a MY23 and when I fill the freshwater tank to two thirds full (The manual says "Do not over fill") I get water leaking out of the filler cap when driving (going round righthand corners). I have owned two Cali's before and not had this happen. Any ideas as to what I can do to stop this?
I replaced original non vented cap with vented cap and fill tank complete every time, should not spill water if fitted properly. If fitted properly you cannot move cap forward/backward only rotate . I had same experience as you on one occasion when cap was not fitted properly.

My cap looks like non venting.
I can empty my tank with cap on and locked, into the sink, when I’m doing a clean routine.

IMG_7968.jpeg
IMG_7969.jpeg
IMG_7970.jpeg
IMG_7971.jpeg
IMG_7972.jpeg

Ours is unvented as well, 23 MY. When we first got it I cleaned the tanks out - when I used the tap to flush 4 or 5 bowl fulls of water through I heard an odd noise from the fresh tank area. when I tried to remove the cap it was suctioned on and very difficult to remove, it eventually came free and there was a woosh of air and the side of the van popped back out in to shape! It was somewhat concerning for a new van!

I guess the tank is glued to the side of the van and had been slowly deflating, pulling the van with it - I was surprised that the tap was powerful enough to do that!

Since then we've used it normally and it's been fine - it seems to vent slowly, but enough for normal use, if we're flushing the tanks through then we leave the cap off to avoid a repeat!

John

If still stuck, let me know and I’ll do a short video and upload to YouTube.
Cap still letting water leak when driving. If your offer still stands about a video that would be great.

Hi @Jabberwocky

Took a bit longer than promised, but here is a link to a short youtube video I have recorded on how I fit the cap

Hi SS747, great little video and very helpful. Thanks. Your technique is slightly different to mine but the end result is the same I think. I have followed yours and will leave it until this coming weekend and see if the problem is resolved. (tank has no water in right now)

I drilled my cap as post #41 above.

Now when the tank is full, I get a little spillage through the vent. I have double checked the useful video from @SuperSeven747 above, and the lockable tap is on correctly.

I managed to find a red vinyl tight fitting cover which should allow me to alternate vent/unvented as required. I had to buy 5. Anyone interested in one of the other 4 gratis other than postage, PM me.

Also link below if you want to buy.

I guess the only risk is if I leave the red cover on and pump lots of water out of the tank it is possible that suction may pull the cap off and it end up in the tank, but I think I will avoid that, it is a nice tight fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TCW931R/?tag=eliteelect-21

Caps 1.jpgCaps 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back