Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Three most useless things to take away with you in a Cali

We found on our 6 week European road trip that the VW satnav far outperformed Google maps, Apple maps and Via MIchelin. No worrying when you have no phone signal!

I am sure I’m not the only one to understand the difference between the practicality of a caged rodent strapped behind the front passenger seat and a goldfish in a goldfish bowl dangling from a Brandrup hook above the kitchen sink.
Available on Amazon.de

88C3DDF6-1628-40A3-A2F1-8E0C46F1A30A.jpeg

Hey. I’ve found another use for a Tuning Fork. To check if the Policeman’s Radar Gun is correctly calibrated.

Ever gotten a speeding ticket? A tuning fork is partly responsible. Police radar guns measure speed by bounding a radar signal off an approaching car. Depending on how quickly the radar signal bounces back determines how fast the car is going. To calibrate a radar gun, police will aim it at a tuning fork specially designed to vibrate at 50 miles per hour (80.5 kilometers per hour). If their radar gun doesn't register 50 miles an hour, they know it's time to take it in for adjustment.

Last edited:
Ha Ha. Google maps, which I have was an absolute load of rubbish. Wouldn’t plot routes using minor routes. No/poor internet connection then it failed miserably . Long tunnels over 3 km and it had a heart attack and completely failed giving warning of roundabouts in tunnels or just after a long tunnel, whereas the RNS510 was spot on each time.
No, I’m of the firm belief that you use the correct tool for the job.
And this rubbish quoted on the Internet that the built in SatNav costs £1000 or more is absolute rubbish. If you want an upgraded radio/stereo system and speakers etc: then going to the next level with built in SatNav is minimal in the scheme of things.
How did you update your maps WG, did you buy them on ebay?
Was it a big problem to update?
My local agent advised against updating!!

I’ve updated mine 3 times now. Twice with Official VW update CDs obtained from my Dealer at £99 /cd.
This time I used an eBay source to update both firmware and map data.
It takes about an hour to update the maps and 30/40 mins for the firmware. If you update the firmware you lose any Personal POIs and any saved destinations as well as stored Radio presets but they are easily put back ( you basically start off with a clean system ). Updating the Map Data does just that. You don’t lose anything.

We have a friend in France that takes her pair of Chinchilla with the family, from Arras, Northern France to Orange, Southern France. Has done for the past 15yrs

Hey. I’ve found another use for a Tuning Fork. To check if the Policeman’s Radar Gun is correctly calibrated.

Ever gotten a speeding ticket? A tuning fork is partly responsible. Police radar guns measure speed by bounding a radar signal off an approaching car. Depending on how quickly the radar signal bounces back determines how fast the car is going. To calibrate a radar gun, police will aim it at a tuning fork specially designed to vibrate at 50 miles per hour (80.5 kilometers per hour). If their radar gun doesn't register 50 miles an hour, they know it's time to take it in for adjustment.

I knew someone who, after being stopped for speeding, asked: "when was the tuning fork last dropped?" They let him off!

Couple ideas to make the 'useless' useful: I got a round bluetooth speaker to fit in bottle holder near side door and stays charged there.

I use satnav all the time and find it fine, I occasionally use Google Maps on phone for new streets not on it. I have mifi router and it stays connected to the van network (needs the router password entered once somewhere in settings) so you get much enhanced traffic info and 'rerouting around delays' on the sat nav. Also under Menu - CarNet - POI you can type in anywhere you're looking for like toilet ( ! ) or that new street, as it's linked to Google and then select from list and it's straight into your satnav which is cool as doesn't matter if go offline after so that's like enhanced Google Maps. Think CarNet sub expires after warranty though and probably VW have overpriced renewal, not checked yet.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Couple ideas to make the 'useless' useful: I got a round bluetooth speaker to fit in bottle holder near side door and stays charged there.

I use satnav all the time and find it fine, I occasionally use Google Maps on phone for new streets not on it. I have mifi router and it stays connected to the van network (needs the router password entered once somewhere in settings) so you get much enhanced traffic info and 'rerouting around delays' on the sat nav. Also under Menu - CarNet - POI you can type in anywhere you're looking for like toilet ( ! ) or that new street, as it's linked to Google and then select from list and it's straight into your satnav which is cool as doesn't matter if go offline after so that's like enhanced Google Maps. Think CarNet sub expires after warranty though and probably VW have overpriced renewal, not checked yet.

Pics
8808a981d8e6fa820d7572dcd8df4b35.jpg
f3caefdc546d083ee3468d63c5ce797b.jpg

Can't remember whether this was about built in stuff or useless stuff to take now, the beginning was ages ago! (well several minutes anyway)

So just a couple of comments - tuning fork - anyone who takes their guitar with them will use one.
Electric/hydraulic roof - I couldn't operate mine if it wasn't.
Handbrake to right of RHS drivers seat - I wouldn't be able to get in at all.

There y'go, three comments!

Suggestions from the OH as we are on a long journey.. it’s our new word game
1: Fish tank
2: tuning fork
3: parachute
Fish tank is Pimms mixing tank, also for your Christmas lights
Tuning fork is for getting earwax out and also as a tent peg mallet
Parachute is dirty/clean washing bag and hammock

1. Marco Polo salesman
2. Betamax video recording of a 12 volt kettle boiling water
3. A proof of the Collatz Conjecture*

*Pick any number. If that number is even, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Now repeat the process with your new number. If you keep going, you'll eventually end up at 1. Every time.

A Betamax tape would be a maximum of 120 min utes - so not long enough to record a 12v kettle boiling water....

Fish tank is Pimms mixing tank, also for your Christmas lights
Tuning fork is for getting earwax out and also as a tent peg mallet
Parachute is dirty/clean washing bag and hammock
Some days a parachute is just a parachute.

image.jpeg
My partners "other ride".

1. Marco Polo salesman
3. A proof of the Collatz Conjecture*

1. Marco Polo brochure
2. 12 volt kettle
3. Traffic warden
Some consistency over past 3 years.:thumb

1. Husband
2. Husband
3. Husband

No I don't have three of them, I just couldn't think of anything that a lot of others think is essential,
1. Levelling ramps
2. Barbecue
3.Any branded expensive device you can pick up for next to nothing elsewhere!

1. Husband
2. Husband
3. Husband

No I don't have three of them, I just couldn't think of anything that a lot of others think is essential,
1. Levelling ramps
2. Barbecue
3.Any branded expensive device you can pick up for next to nothing elsewhere!
1) Barbecue : cooking takes too long and husband and dog would be salivating
2) Wee bin thingy that sits in drivers door: we have way too much rubbish to fit in that.
3) Bottle holder in front console , does anyone use it

Back