Three most useless things to take away with you in a Cali

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
There have long been dinner party discussions about the three most useless things to take on a boat: a naval officer, a spirit level and a ladder get my vote.

I have at one time or another transported all three in Amarillo, and the naval officer (my brother) I found particularly useful as he helped fit my solar panels. A spirit level could have its uses, and people use ladders to get upstairs.

So what would your three most useless things to have in a Cali be?

A hotel guide
Ice cream
An electric kettle

Hotel guide is a good one - totally useless in a Cali.

Ice cream - just today we had Magnums in ours.

Kettles - have used both 12v and 240v varieties. Spook who lives in his Cali for long periods of time gets much use from his 12v kettle.

If the list was four items i would have added KIDS .... ;)
that would be ideal....
No kids , no need for tv to keep them quiet....
No kids , no need to heat up babybotles ....
No kids , no dirty seats/floor .....
:mute

Think a sub-question should be added :
The three most useless things ON a Cali , as in factory fitted ....
Not the things put in by the owner , those are each theire own choise and probally usefull for the owner (hopefully)

In that case :
Sat-nav RNS510 (i know it is an option so ....)
The coat/hook hanger in the large warderobe
The cooled glove box
12v socket next to the bench seat (to stand in for the RNS510)

Last edited:
Think a sub-question should be added :
The three most useless things ON a Cali , as in factory fitted ....
Not the things put in by the owner , those are each theire own choise and probally usefull for the owner (hopefully)

In that case :
Sat-nav RNS510
The coat hanger in the large warderobe
The cooled glove box

The cup holder adjacent the rear seat.
Volkswagen Sat-Nav
Centre front cup holders

Now you see I have to Disagree with all those.
My RNS510, fully updated has taken me from S Wales to Norway without a problem.
I hang clothes in the Wardrobe.
I use the Dash cup holders.
The Cupholder and socket are used to store my Teasi Bicycle and Walking GPS and 2 x12v and 2usb sockets to charge the Teasi and other things.

Apart from the nut behind the wheel..
Rear cup holder alongside bench seat,
Rear wash/wiper,
Stop start concession to the ‘if I stop/start my emissions on my trip in a 3 tonne bedroom will not count’ brigade ....

The waste bin/ash can thing
The cup holder that attaches to the kitchen rail and
the bottle cooler beneath the gear stick.

Now you see I have to Disagree with all those.
My RNS510, fully updated has taken me from S Wales to Norway without a problem.

No doubt it got you there.
But it probably took 3 days later than google maps because it was trying to avoid a traffic jam from the previous week...:headbang

Last edited:
No doubt it got you there.
But it probably took 3 days later than google maps became it was trying to avoid a traffic jam from the previous week...:headbang
Ha Ha. Google maps, which I have was an absolute load of rubbish. Wouldn’t plot routes using minor routes. No/poor internet connection then it failed miserably . Long tunnels over 3 km and it had a heart attack and completely failed giving warning of roundabouts in tunnels or just after a long tunnel, whereas the RNS510 was spot on each time.
No, I’m of the firm belief that you use the correct tool for the job.
And this rubbish quoted on the Internet that the built in SatNav costs £1000 or more is absolute rubbish. If you want an upgraded radio/stereo system and speakers etc: then going to the next level with built in SatNav is minimal in the scheme of things.

I have both.
I’ve come to the conclusion the best way the RNS works.
Is delete all the traffic nonsense and re-routing and just drive the shortest route it advises.
The traffic info side of it, just doesn’t work.

I have both.
Is delete all the traffic nonsense and re-routing and just drive the shortest route it advises.
I thought it was a different system on the T6? Not the RNS 510.

I have both.
The one in my T6 works just fine. The occasional blip, but I would say 8 out of 10, if not slightly higher. 39,000 miles since March 2017. I guess it depends on which radio channel you have set for the TMC. I believe mine is set to Classic Fm, but I’ll check. Beware of the shortest route option; it will take you off and back on at motorway junctions if it cuts a corner. I mostly use the fastest route setting which is the middle one on mine with the blue route indication.

The one in my T6 works just fine. The occasional blip, but I would say 8 out of 10, if not slightly higher. 39,000 miles since March 2017. I guess it depends on which radio channel you have set for the TMC. I believe mine is set to Classic Fm, but I’ll check. Beware of the shortest route option; it will take you off and back on at motorway junctions if it cuts a corner. I mostly use the fastest route setting which is the middle one on mine with the blue route indication.

I may look at that. But from what I’ve seen with regards to traffic avoidance/re-routing. It’s been poor.
In Holland some weeks back. It tried to take us on a journey 30 mins longer than google maps. We followed google maps and there was no traffic.

Yes I meant fastest route.
Why that isn’t automatic, I’ll never know. People 99% of the time want to complete their journey as fast as possible.

Have to agree, the RNS510 traffic data is rubbish but I think that’s due to the source data rather than the unit. I tend to run the Tom Tom speed camera app in parallel to the sat nav as it shows real time traffic data.

Back