Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealing with all the holes (in the dashboard of a basic Cali Beach) and upgrading to wireless CarPlay

vananarama

vananarama

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Evening all. Won’t be the millionth T6 owner to moan about the poor design of the dashboard (all those holes!) but recently acquired some nifty (and fair play, great quality) panel thingys from Van-X that among other things hides the low narrow shelf. Now, of the three useless holes this was my favourite but I have to admit the removable (magnets!) glossy black cover is an improvement. The only trouble is that for reasons best left in an office in Germany they decided to stick the CarPlay USB here on the lower spec dashboard.

As a solution to this dilemma I popped the USB out and fed it into the lower glove compartment through a ready made hole. Perfect. Now I am thinking of investing in a wireless CarPlay adaptor to sit permanently out of sight in the glove compartment and connect to my phone on start-up.

Has anyone done something similar and has anyone got a decent CarPlay adaptor? Ta!

I have the same van in poverty spec. what are the holes?

Evening all. Won’t be the millionth T6 owner to moan about the poor design of the dashboard (all those holes!) but recently acquired some nifty (and fair play, great quality) panel thingys from Van-X that among other things hides the low narrow shelf. Now, of the three useless holes this was my favourite but I have to admit the removable (magnets!) glossy black cover is an improvement. The only trouble is that for reasons best left in an office in Germany they decided to stick the CarPlay USB here on the lower spec dashboard.

As a solution to this dilemma I popped the USB out and fed it into the lower glove compartment through a ready made hole. Perfect. Now I am thinking of investing in a wireless CarPlay adaptor to sit permanently out of sight in the glove compartment and connect to my phone on start-up.

Has anyone done something similar and has anyone got a decent CarPlay adaptor? Ta!

Did buy the CarPlay thing. It works fine 80% of the time. And some of the remaining 20% of problems might be due to my old faithful iPhone 6s struggling to exist in 2020. To hide the wireless unit I put it into the terribly tiny lower glove compartment and popped the intelligent USB socket into the dash and fished it out into said compartment. Worked a treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same van in poverty spec. what are the holes?

The top hole, the middle hole and the bottom shelf. If you can’t see them you don’t have the reality class spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or move the usb. It can be relocated in either the lower glove box or cubby next to gear (not there in none comfort dash). My hybrid dash has both options. I’m still weighing up which direction to go.

Back