Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of swapping my RNS 510 for an aftermarket CarPlay unit. Alpine iLX-700 or Pioneer SPH-DA120

Oops, you're right. Though I suspect even an OEM CarPlay unit wouldn't be able to do that...

That'll be great to have your updates Andy - do you know when you are getting it?

@IanE I'm meeting with the installer and the Alpine rep in the morning to sort a time., so hopefully sometime in next few days :)

@fred The unit I posted back up there somewhere is an identical-looking HU to the new T6, does the £100 "car net app connect" option not get CarPlay on these? (Bit beyond my budget that, I'd never sell it to the "FD" !)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@fred The unit I posted back up there somewhere is an identical-looking HU to the new T6, does the £100 "car net app connect" option not get CarPlay on these? (Bit beyond my budget that, I'd never sell it to the "FD" !)[/USER]
Wait, CarPlay is VW App Connect? @reserves you you should buy that!

Did a long run on the weekend oop north and back. Apple maps worked admirably. Switched off mobile data (gps on) all the way back and it remembered the detailed view all the way and navigated me back along the same route without any dramas.

However, it got stuck "rerouting" when I went off course without mobile data :/

That's good info @fred thanks. Funnily enough I tried the same earlier this week without data for a short town trip. Proves Apple Maps has improved hugely there and doesn't need a signal or to consume data the whole trip. If you start your nav at home or in the office on wifi then just plug the phone in, be interesting to see how much data is consumed. I'll try and measure it on my next long trip.

The new Alpine T5 specific unit

VW-t5-alpine-X800.jpg

"VW T5 Bully driver you can look forward to a new solution of Alpine. The installation kit with frame for a sun-protected overlooking the huge 8 "display"

http://www.stuevencarhifi.de/kai-s-blog/entry/alpine-vw-t8-kit.html

Spoke to Absolute yesterday, they are not sure this could be retrofitted to the T5 but I'm sure someone clever enough will work it out at some point. This is from the UK T6 Ocean

img_1722-jpg.10759

Last edited:
@reserves the X800's are nice looking with those massive screens, are Alpine planning to adapt it for CarPlay?
My iLX-700 is *finally* being fitted on Tuesday :thumb

@reserves are you buying a new T6? If so, then the cheapest option would be to specify the slightly larger (6.3") composition media system (Option Z16, £162 on an Ocean) and the app connect (Option 9WT, £144) as that would give a nice, factory-look model with carplay built in (also works with the Discover Nav system, if you have deep pockets!) This is in a golf, but the same 6.5" basic unit;

@reserves are you buying a new T6? If so, then the cheapest option would be to specify the slightly larger (6.3") composition media system (Option Z16, £162 on an Ocean) and the app connect (Option 9WT, £144) as that would give a nice, factory-look model with carplay built in (also works with the Discover Nav system, if you have deep pockets!) This is in a golf, but the same 6.5" basic unit;

I wish :)

No, looking at upgrade options for my T5. I've decided for now to upgrade speakers and amp and use my current RNS 510.

I've purchased these direct fit designed for T5 Rainbow component speakers which should work well http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rainbow-il-c8-3-vw-t5-front-part-no-231237

Getting the RNS 510 to play nicely with an aftermarket amp isn't that straight forward but should sound great.

With the new Alpine unit on it's way and the T6 options maybe becoming possible I'm happy to wait a while.

With regards to the new Alpine I was told it was based on the X801-DU would fit the T5 perfectly but would also cost approx £1300!

The iLX-700 looks great, love the clean look, just fear I'd miss DAB and offline navigation, very interested to hear how you get on.

Are you upgrading speakers or anything else?

Not at the moment @reserves I can't justify that right now (and my 3 year old will only want to use it for his audio books!), but will hopefully do that at a later stage (followed some of the other threads with interest). That HU looks really nice, wish mine was 8" (cough, cough!)

Apple Maps really impressed me the other evening (just on my phone) I said "find fish & chips" and she duly suggested the local establishment; "How about Morgans?" It's definitely getting better. I may change my tune when I'm leaving some remote campsite in Italy with no signal/out of data subscription though! For that I've hopefully a little trick up my sleeve, but all will be revealed next week ;)

Not at the moment @reserves I can't justify that right now (and my 3 year old will only want to use it for his audio books!), but will hopefully do that at a later stage (followed some of the other threads with interest). That HU looks really nice, wish mine was 8" (cough, cough!)

Apple Maps really impressed me the other evening (just on my phone) I said "find fish & chips" and she duly suggested the local establishment; "How about Morgans?" It's definitely getting better. I may change my tune when I'm leaving some remote campsite in Italy with no signal/out of data subscription though! For that I've hopefully a little trick up my sleeve, but all will be revealed next week ;)
It is excellent. Posted on another thread how I used it in France. 1000miles supporting two guys on bikes using almost solely the iPhone and apple maps. Old garmin stuck on windscreen for backup when signal was lost. Freds post is excellent on describing when you need connection.
Read this thread but did got lost occasionally as not a stereo techie. I believe if I go for the DiscoverMedia System Plus. (Yep I know it's expensive) then I will have car play and the ability to use my phone Satnav or the built in one. I like the sound of car play and what may happen in the future and want a Satnav that works without data connection.
I suppose what I'm asking is if money was no problem would it be best to go for the Full Discover package on the T6. It sounds like it would.

FINALLY it's in!!

First impressions of the iLX-700 is that it's a superb bit of kit. @fred I can only dream what yours sounds like now you've upgraded the sound system! I found there's a marked improvement over the stock item (standard speakers) using the media expander and playing with the EQ.

Somewhat annoyingly I've spent all day today in London (via train!) so I've not been able to play with it or take any pics.

Apple Maps looks gorgeous at night and works pretty well. Parking sensors all displaying nicely. So far so good!

I shall post pics when I'm in the bus, in daylight!

6b019e434d489f28f02b7cf605f4b046.jpg

I couldn't wait for winter to get a move on, here are some (rather dark) pics

b223a389bd666c10e1e4cf78a3e69221.jpg

I quite like having the maps on displaying the area I'm in, rather than having TBT nav on. Apple Maps obliges nicely

4021d4af61ff0e590759c33e886c5951.jpg

TBT is nicely laid out and clearer than the split screen option on the RNS (it needs to be as there's no DIS nav display but you don't really need it now)

0e3eec841a577bf05ae138c92977b358.jpg

Also displays the song titles in mahoosive font, with album art sort of ghosted behind. Way better than some random artwork block and a piddly little bit of text. Like muchly so far!

I'll have some more of a play and possibly start a new thread where those of us with CarPlay can contribute.

The great thing about this is that voice activation really does work. You don't even need a Siri button provided you're happy saying (but not shouting) "hey Siri" and following up with "drive home", or "read new messages", or "play...." It's actually quite liberating, if slightly nerdy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update Andy - sounds like a good idea to start a new carplay thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@AndyFromTheBrac where did they mount your mic? I've found that mine isn't sensitive enough when mounted in the centre console and with road noise

They mounted it on the right hand A-pillar. I originally wanted them to mount it in the console, but the guys were concerned about pick up from there (even though the factory unit had it's mic already in there).

Aesthetically it's not quite as nice as it is visible, but I really don't notice it there and it seems to pick up well (yet to try it on the M5!)

yeah, good call on their part. I'm thinking about rerouting mine, either to A pillar or possibly even next to the interior light console. Too much road noise for dashmount to work properly. Glad the Alpine has a Siri button :)

Hi Andy - just wondering how you're getting on with your Alpine unit? My sim only mobile contract is about to expire and I might need to get more data if I go for it

@IanE apologies for the slow update. It's been too dark lately to take any pics so I was hanging on a bit.

c5faed04f7a0aef12341d690c885d3ab.jpg

7901ea3762cf3a4268837fb483c9395e.jpg

So far so good. I've had the head unit fitted together with a wireless device "xlink" which allows me to mirror my iPhone screen. There's a couple of adaptors I needed but it was quite straightforward. Effectively I can now run any app (including sat nav) and display it on the head unit. Using it this way you must control the app from the phone, the head unit is display only.

f6de42872107cb2515efeab6bc66efce.jpg

An added bonus is that video can also be played including iTunes, BBC iPlayer and my go-to media app, Plex (YouTube and Amazon video don't work however)

532441884bcbe2c7080058829adf1da8.jpg

Bit of master chef anyone?

8f6f4e3c9803bb127d411d4b237da81c.jpg

Waze shown here, but any work including the self-contained versions that require no/minimal data usage.

The pictures (taken on my older iPad) are a bit lacking in clarity, the screen display is actually a lot better than it appears.

Xlink was around £40 from China on eBay. There are more expensive US versions but they don't work as well. There are also some sellers in the UK, which is a better bet if you need help. I work in IT and so it was fairly straightforward to set up, but make sure they have updated the firmware to the latest version as iOS 9 changed the way screen mirroring works. I had to update the firmware myself and it was an interesting experience!

2c7118acd09caaa3485ac6692714a4c3.jpg

The two adaptors were cheap enough. The cable to connect the red/yellow/white AV cables on the xlink to the 3.5mm mini jack on the head unit is a Kenwood item; CA-C3AV about £12 on eBay (UK seller but came from Germany). You must use this type (not a camcorder cable) as it has an "Apple configuration" which means that they earth the thing via the tip, rather than one of the "stripes". Apple, eh? There are others but the Kenwood part number is easy enough to search for and you know you've got the right one.

Lastly I got a microbypass "video parking brake bypass for Alpine" from eBay USA for £10. This enables video to operate whilst you're driving as the nav apps need this (so no, I won't be watching master chef on the go!). I've since read that just earthing the parking brake cable to the head unit chassis can also do this (but I've not tried it).

Why we can't source these items over here is a bit odd, they're cheap enough to buy. A further side-benefit of this Xlink is that an Android can also be connected and used in the same phone-controlled way.

Whilst this is fun, it's all a bit ancillary. CarPlay is what I bought this device for and its revolutionised how I drive now, it's that good. I'll create a new CarPlay thread and place some more comments and photos (maybe even a video or two) to show the unit in action. I'll rarely listen to FM (or DAB) again!

d3c4d5497de1c9d346323fa44bdf8932.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back