Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The pit...

Dave_T

Dave_T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
.... or as it's more popularly known: the wardrobe.

How do you use the wardrobe in your Cali? So far, my experience has been that it's quite a big space, but it's very difficult to organise anything in there.

Has anyone fitted any shelves, or got any crafty storage solution that they use?

For the one I hired from Oli, the wardrobe was used for coats. There was also a safe fitted in the bottom, which is a great idea, and fits iPads, phones, cameras etc. beats dragging everything down to the beach and avoids getting sand in my Lumix! The rear cupboard stored toilet rolls and anything else soft to protect some stuff from rattling round.

Kids Sleeping bags, the pillows, our thick fleeces and usually a few bottles of red wine!

Pretty much all bedding! Sleeping bags, sheets, pillows. Soon fills it all up!

I hadn't thought of puttting the bedding in there...we tend to just shove it in the boot.

Thanks for the ideas.... I feel a Cali re-org coming on!

My Cali is my only vehicle & gets used every day. I use the wardrobe, well as a wardrobe ! I keep a waterproof jacket & trousers & a fleece on hangers in it. VW window blinds, rarely get used & sleeping bag which never gets used. I also put my washing in it when I'm away.

If you have a safe, you'll need to be very small for your shirts and jacket to fit in the wardrobe!

KernowLad said:
If you have a safe, you'll need to be very small for your shirts and jacket to fit in the wardrobe!

You just need the right type of hanger :smile

KernowLad said:

... fortunately, I am :)

not much in my pit just my anti-slip mats afew dive and vw mag's some micro fibre towels and a waterproof jacket.... Deffo a pit :smile

We have put coathangers in there and hung the coats up - useful for days out etc but on a longer holiday, seems like its rather wasted space and obviously space is at a bit of a premium :). We were just wondering if anyone had any cunning storage ideas which are better than 'shove it in, pull it all out to find the rather creased item that I was looking for, shove it all back in again :lol:

None of you people have a woman that likes to fill every available space with clothes and shoes? :headwall

Rilla said:
None of you people have a woman that likes to fill every available space with clothes and shoes? :headwall

Lol :) ... Don't worry rilla the wife fills the Cali up real easy ,but a Cali rule is she takes alot of it back out when we get home ( I have noticed she hides some things ) ... Lol

We have various blankets/pillows, coats, hats, gloves etc. We each have a fireproof/racesuit bag which is big enough for a few days worth of gear and fits nicely into the space (similar to this http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-firesuit-tote-bag.html?productid=1027)

We each also have another small bag for underwear, swimmers etc. This way, it is easy to grab your stuff and it stays pretty crease free etc.

We tend to buy decent t-shirts, socks etc with high wicking factors etc which can be worn for days on end - and that was quickly easily and dry fast.

When stuff is dirty/smelly, we fold it up and put it into zip lock bags with all the air squeezed out. In an emergency, you can find that your smelly socks are ok to be worn again as the bacteria is killed off. It also means that the dirty stuff takes up less space.

choplee said:
Rilla said:

Lol :) ... Don't worry rilla the wife fills the Cali up real easy ,but a Cali rule is she takes alot of it back out when we get home ( I have noticed she hides some things ) ... Lol

The Cali is always full by the time we leave home, I keep repeating 'we are camping, you don't need all of those shoes'. It doesn't seem to make any difference. At least I get to keep my man cupboard in the back!

Rilla said:
choplee said:
Rilla said:

The Cali is always full by the time we leave home, I keep repeating 'we are camping, you don't need all of those shoes'. It doesn't seem to make any difference. At least I get to keep my man cupboard in the back!

Ditto rilla ...that's my cupboard as well ..:) lol

Californiaman said:
We each have a fireproof/racesuit bag which is big enough for a few days worth of gear and fits nicely into the space

That would be well handy if you came back to the van and it was on fire - At least you would have a change of clothes after it had been put out :laugh2 :laugh2 :laugh2

Tried clothes, but think we must be too tall or long clothes - too much of a bundle at bottom.
So for us it is mostly larder - have found the Waitrose green canvas shopper bag fits the lower well and I stock that with supplies (mostly tins). I can delve into it and only take it out to restock. I have some lidded plastic boxes that stack on top with dry goods (rice, pasta, flour, crisp, etc). The other area behind has the internal screens and wind blockers.
Chris doesn't have a clue what's In there except for the wine supply!
Penney

We also find the wardrobe a bit on the short side, especially when the tv is in there (oh the shame :barmy ) but we still hang stuff in there anyway.

Back