Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Test Drive in VW ID.3

I have range anxiety with these new-fangled electric vehicles, but maybe if we could tow a gas powered generator we’d have a solution to the problem?
b0b114a6169c83279e2146f6f66862e7.jpg
The Range Extender option in the BMW i3 was essentially that. An on-board 700cc engine supported a 7 litre petrol tank - each tank boosts range by another circa 90 miles, with the little petrol engine charging the battery, which then turns the motor. You also have the option of the petrol engine maintaining a certain level of battery charge, or kicking in when battery gets down to 5% (the latter being the default mode). It is a wonderful option.

Unfortunately BMW have phase the range extender option out as the larger battery now has longer capacity on a single charge, but it loses that versatility and back-up of the petrol range extender.

This was our i3. We returned it (leased, as we didn’t want the financial risk of long-term EV ownership in a fast developing sector) earlier this week due to our growing family having outgrown it, but starting to miss it already.

0D45D76C-5EFC-45B9-94A7-EF12A66E5B24.jpeg

I have range anxiety with these new-fangled electric vehicles, but maybe if we could tow a gas powered generator we’d have a solution to the problem?
b0b114a6169c83279e2146f6f66862e7.jpg
It's called a Hybrid Electric Vehicle or Self Charging Hybrid.

Pick our new pool car up this Tuesday. First Edition in White.

Okay. Numerous software issues with the car which will hopefully be fixed in Jan. Range is also an issue but the user is a touch heavy on the right pedal. 1000miles already under the belt.

A puncture this morning but the tyres are self healing once the offending item was removed. Confused us and the tyre guys until we Googled it. Plus no tyre inflator, wrench to remove the wheel or jack provided by VW.

Software now fixed. Used this to go to the dentist today from the office and it was a hoot. Really enjoyed the 6mile drive there and back.

Slight problem getting in and out of it with my hamstring issue but that's not the fault of the car

Whats the battery like in the cold weather. What sort of range are you getting. Our GTE hates it and loses 5 miles range in the cold.

The Range Extender option in the BMW i3 was essentially that. An on-board 700cc engine supported a 7 litre petrol tank - each tank boosts range by another circa 90 miles, with the little petrol engine charging the battery, which then turns the motor. You also have the option of the petrol engine maintaining a certain level of battery charge, or kicking in when battery gets down to 5% (the latter being the default mode). It is a wonderful option.

Unfortunately BMW have phase the range extender option out as the larger battery now has longer capacity on a single charge, but it loses that versatility and back-up of the petrol range extender.
Had one with range extender engine. Simply fabulous system.

About 210miles when its cold.

No good for me I can do 300-350 miles in a day. Role on Hydrogen.

3miles a day for me. Legs