Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Test Drive in VW ID.3

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I was originally looking at Tesla's but a couple of friends have them and they have no end of problems and the Tesla dealer network is worse than Volkswagen. so I had a test drive in a VW ID.3 today and then ordered one as soon as I got back to the dealer, anyone that is looking for an EV this certainly takes some beating for the money and the range. It really is a nice car to drive. Yes I know there are a few software gremlins but I am hoping by the time I get delivery these will be resolved

Interesting. Currently looking at one. More so to replace the company pool car. Great deals on them at the moment. Did an Carwow today and blown away by the discounts available.

Tempted to buy one for myself but I dont think I will get my dogs in the boot.

Interesting to hear that. Thanks.

Test drove a model 3, and despite all the hype surrounding it, just could not get on with it. The handling was quite vague and the steering wheel was just plain bad ... and after getting to the dealer in my then golf, the Tesla was quite tinny to drive.

The ID3 does not have the software prowess of the Tesla but as you say, it will get ironed out. A year or two ago VW did replace their head of software so we should see some improvements now. Definitely a car to look out for and on my list of a second car to replace the current one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

We are also in market for a full EV and the ID.3 ticks all the boxes and the range is more than enough for our needs. All the current problems do appear to be software related so I will be sitting right a little longer but it's certainly number one on my list

For every electric vehicle purchased the hardship encountered by the manual miners of cobalt (for batteries) and the environmental damage caused by the mining and extraction of Neodymium ( used in the electric motors) increases. EV cars are not the green solution claimed. There is plenty of research and evidence on this but it is quietly never mentioned. Don't take my word, have a good look yourself. Yes EVs are a great drive, but good for humanity and the environment?

For every electric vehicle purchased the hardship encountered by the manual miners of cobalt (for batteries) and the environmental damage caused by the mining and extraction of Neodymium ( used in the electric motors) increases. EV cars are not the green solution claimed. There is plenty of research and evidence on this but it is quietly never mentioned. Don't take my word, have a good look yourself. Yes EVs are a great drive, but good for humanity and the environment?

Here we go, this thread is now heading to the three cocks!! can mods delete the above post as this was aimed to talk about a particular car and not the wrong or rights of electric vehicles

Here we go, this thread is now heading to the three cocks!! can mods delete the above post as this was aimed to talk about a particular car and not the wrong or rights of electric vehicles
On that basis the entire thread should be deleted, this forum is a “California “ forum, not a VW ID3 EV forum ?

EVs will undoubtedly get some criticism because they are different and who likes change?!

Currently they are not as "green" as they could be, but manufacturers are working hard on this. One of the reasons we went for a Polestar was because of their transparent approach to this in their Life Cycle Assessment.

The comparison between the ICE XC40 and a P2 powered by wind over 200,000 KM is quite something.

A large contributing factor towards the "greenness" of the vehicle will depend on source of the electricity you opt to charge it with.

The comparison between "dirty" electricity and ICE XC40 not that significant.

The VW ID.3 looks good. What's the lead time on one of these now?

EVs will undoubtedly get some criticism because they are different and who likes change?!

<<snip>> One of the reasons we went for a Polestar was because of their transparent approach to this in their Life Cycle Assessment. <<snip>>

Polestar .... Geely ... Chinese ... China ... transparency ... really? LOL! they got you on that one for sure.

Polestar .... Geely ... Chinese ... China ... transparency ... really? LOL! they got you on that one for sure.
... yes, I'm delighted with the choice. :happy

Have you read the LCA? And compared it with any others?

You might not be interested, but if you were interested in buying an EV a LCA certainly demonstrates the differences between manufacturer approaches, considerations they've made and how decisions consumers make affect the overall impact on the environment.

It’s not solely down to the manufacturer and the piece of metal they sell you.

... yes, I'm delighted with the choice. :happy

Have you read the LCA? And compared it with any others?

You might not be interested, but if you were interested in buying an EV a LCA certainly demonstrates the differences between manufacturer approaches, considerations they've made and how decisions consumers make affect the overall impact on the environment.

It’s not solely down to the manufacturer and the piece of metal they sell you.

Agree and True. Admit ... not read the LCA ... but batteries are inherently dirtier. Is Hydrogen the way forward?

My personal view (and what I'd like to see) is mass adoption of V2G technology.

V2G will enable EVs to store and discharge electricity generated from renewable energy sources.

The idea being that as cars are parked most of the time, the batteries could be used to let electricity flow from the car to the electricity distribution network and back. If you've generated energy and stored it in your battery you could then sell it back to the grid.

There are technical challenges to overcome here, but IMO it's the most compelling solution I've come across that addresses the storage issue for all of the surplus renewable energy we generate. This will only get better as technology advances and we are able to store more of it. I think using vehicle batteries to store it is a bit of a no brainer.

On the cusp of considering battery back up for our solar PV array.

ID.3 similar to the Golf.
images-140.jpeg
Polestar similar to something in-between the V40 and V60
images-141.jpeg
They look good. :thumb

Criteria for buying.

1) Can I put my dogs in the boot
2) Go back to 1)

ID3 looks a great car, I’m sure they will sell well.

Apparently they are carbon neutral...they must plant a lot of trees.

I think they have hit their price. Was offered 8k off the top of the range one. Then as a company purchase I can do an 100% write down so circa another 6k off.

I think they have hit their price. Was offered 8k off the top of the range one. Then as a company purchase I can do an 100% write down so circa another 6k off.

TCO must be looking good.

VW need to follow Tesla, ditch these daft dealer ‘discounts’ and sell direct.

I recently took delivery of a Peugeot e208. Love it. Nice (and fun) to drive, comfy and effortless. I’m much happier doing typical/short journeys in it instead of in the Cali. Short journeys on big heavy diesel not got for soot build up!
My plan is to run the e208 for 3 years (it’s on lease) then see how the market has changed. Hopefully VW have worked out their kinks and learned what they need to with the id3 and id4, and release the ‘ID.buzz’ in time!

We ordered a VW ID3 (company car) at the beginning of Dec. It will be our 2nd car to do the school run and local driving, alongside the Cali for longer outings.

We also test drove a Renault Zoe (nice, but no adaptive cruise), a Kia e-Niro (all the toys, but Wife didn't like it), and a Honda E (picture in post above). The Honda was the cheapest by far, great fun, with amazing tech and more toys than all the others including a 1500w 230v inverter, but it was very noisy on the road even at low speed, and the range was only 120 miles on paper, probably nearer 90. The turning circle is tiny. Had the range been a little bit better and slightly less noisy we'd possibly have got one.

VW ID3 has good range, good toys and very practical. I wouldn't have normally bought a new car, but electric cars on a company car scheme are very cost effective.

Should get it in March hopefully. Order has been accepted on the system.

Spotted one of these Hondas today, i thought it looked
good.

View attachment 70705View attachment 70706View attachment 70707
I saw a Carwow review on one of these recently. It was being tested along side other current EVs. I was quite taken by its simple exterior styling. Rather nice. The boot is tiny though.

One thing that I don't like about many EVs though and this Honda is a good example, is that vehicle manufacturers seem to be using EVs to roll out a whole new level of infotainment and needless gimmickry. That may be what people want but I would have thought that there is also a huge market opportunity for a much cheaper and more basic EV with simple controls and less distractions, after all how many people sit around in their cars looking at a fish tank display or watching films. Yes you might do it once or twice to impress friends but after that? I would suggest that at the moment most EVs are used in built up areas for short journeys and once the journey is completed they are parked up and left.

As for the current offerings, leaving aside all the novel and in some cases, rather silly entertainment functions that some have, surely all the driving functions should be kept as simple as possible to prevent distraction. Example: some, if not all Tesla models seem to feature a huge tablet in place of conventional instruments. This tablet is in the centre of the vehicle dash away from the drivers eye line. All functions appear to require input from the driver whilst driving. My point being, in the same way as mobile phones do, don't these screens provide rather too many distractions to the driver? Apparently, most driving functions needs him/her to look down away from the road ahead.

Its a bit like my V8. I can achieve single digit figures or 25mpg. So my tank range will vary.

I have range anxiety with these new-fangled electric vehicles, but maybe if we could tow a gas powered generator we’d have a solution to the problem?
b0b114a6169c83279e2146f6f66862e7.jpg