Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T1 Split to T6 Beach

P

paul_f

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Yesterday we picked up a pre-registered Beach from Lookers in Guildford. Have owned a Splitscreen for 18 years but it is now too small for us as a family (6&8 yr olds) to camp in. When the california first came out we met a Dutch couple whilst camping in Germany and thought I'd like one of those one day.

After a breakdown on the M25 (fuel gauge had got stuck so out of fuel) we decided that we wanted something we can use for any family trip - rather than having 2 cars and a classic camper.

We took a look at a Beach last summer. The kids wanted to sell the split immediately but we thought we would wait for the T6.1. After being disappointed that it isn't going to be sold in the UK I have been keeping an eye out on newly listed used ones to see if one came up in the colour and spec we wanted.

This one came up with a great spec and a colour we wanted- LEDs, parking heater, adaptive cruise, comfort dash, 7 seats, comfort lights in rear, heated front seats, DSG, 17" wheels with all season tyres so we went for it. The only options I would have liked to have would be the 80l tank and the larger brakes - but maybe once the standard ones have bedded in they will be better.

First impressions are good, although I cant find a way to get the lights in the rear to come on when I open the doors so its rather dark in the back in the night

DSC06002.JPG

IMG_20170902_184117sm.jpg

IMG_20200201_154320.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant
We had an early bay for about 10 years we had many happy times on holiday and wknds away in it,
looking back I don’t know how we managed:)
I think you made the right move .
Heaters and mod cons definitely make it more enjoyable

Hi Paul,
Nice vans. Congratulations on your new purchase. I think you have been very lucky finding a new high spec Beach now that UK spec examples aren't being made any more. High spec Beaches are as rare as hen's teeth and sell in the blink of a eye. I should know as I recently sold our previous high spec Beach. That one was sold unseen over the phone within hours of being advertised. I had over a dozen other dissapointed callers! I hope that you all have very many adventures to come in he/she/it.

Regarding you desired spec, there was a thread recently which featured references to retro fitting the 80litre fuel tank. From memory I believe you can obtain the necessary parts by using the chassis number of a vehicle that already has an 80 litre tank. Our new Beach has an 80 litre tank!

Upgrading the brakes would be very easy. I am pretty sure that the only diference between the standard Beach brakes and the 17" chassis option are the front brakes. The rears are exactly the same. If you wanted to upgrade you can do it by replacing the the front calipers, back plates, discs and pads. I know this because I too found a new high spec showroom Beach which unfortunately had standard brakes so I looked into upgrading them. Having had a Beach with standard brakes I found them perfectly acceptable. I think if it were me I would leave it until the discs and pads wear out then change the lot. The 17" brakes are very good indeed.

Being a fellow seven seat T6 Beach owner residing fairly local to you (Canterbury), if you have any issues I would be pleased to help. You can contact me via a PM if you wish.

Good luck and best wishes
Paul.

Last edited:
Nice first post Paul and with Pics without prompting :thumb

Regarding the lights in the rear, they don’t come on when the doors are opened, you simply have to press the button on the required light to switch on and remember to turn it off again.

Enjoy

Thanks both.
I am having the first camp out with kids on the drive tonight. My wife is indoors as she thought it would be too cold, but we are cosy with the heater on setting 1

I like the way the lights in the rear hatch can be dimmed with the light switch.
For the lights in the back I have worked out I have to reach behind my shoulder and just turn the one on. That gives enough light to get in and out

enjoy your first camp out, in the new van, the kids will forever :cheers

Yesterday we picked up a pre-registered Beach from Lookers in Guildford. Have owned a Splitscreen for 18 years but it is now too small for us as a family (6&8 yr olds) to camp in. When the california first came out we met a Dutch couple whilst camping in Germany and thought I'd like one of those one day.

After a breakdown on the M25 (fuel gauge had got stuck so out of fuel) we decided that we wanted something we can use for any family trip - rather than having 2 cars and a classic camper.

We took a look at a Beach last summer. The kids wanted to sell the split immediately but we thought we would wait for the T6.1. After being disappointed that it isn't going to be sold in the UK I have been keeping an eye out on newly listed used ones to see if one came up in the colour and spec we wanted.

This one came up with a great spec and a colour we wanted- LEDs, parking heater, adaptive cruise, comfort dash, 7 seats, comfort lights in rear, heated front seats, DSG, 17" wheels with all season tyres so we went for it. The only options I would have liked to have would be the 80l tank and the larger brakes - but maybe once the standard ones have bedded in they will be better.

First impressions are good, although I cant find a way to get the lights in the rear to come on when I open the doors so its rather dark in the back in the night

View attachment 54841

View attachment 54842

View attachment 54843
Have you still got the splitty or how much do you want for it?