Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starlink - Global internet

Are you using the on board Inverter? And original Router ?
I’m using the original router but have a 1000W Renogy inverter. I blew up the onboard inverter a long time ago charging my ebike battery. I found it flattens the AGM batteries pretty quickly,. I’ve just upgraded to Lifpo4 batteries and associated charge controller.

IMG_7632.jpeg
IMG_7627.jpeg
IMG_7631.jpeg
IMG_7623.jpeg
Chopped the RJ45 adaptor, (As I don’t want to chop Dishys cable) and connected into the BoonDocker.io 12v to 48v converter.
Works a treat.
Looks like a good 15 hours of internet usage.
So happy days.
Waiting for the boondocker dualie metal box.
Then I’ll put it back in and tidy up.
IMG_7628.jpeg

Any bright idea’s about how to get the dishy cable into the vehicle without chopping anything ?
The RJ45 adaptor is on top shelf in wardrobe.
I’ll be disconnecting the dishy and removing it from the roof everyday.

I was thinking of bringing the cable in at bottom of boot every day.
Just worried it’s going to get crushed more and more by crushing it in the boot seal.

Need a more permanent solution.

Any bright idea’s about how to get the dishy cable into the vehicle without chopping anything ?

Just worried it’s going to get crushed more and more by crushing it in the boot seal.

I went through the AC socket on the side panel. Removed it and cut a small notch to fit the plug through. Easy to pull out the cable I need and then retract it manually when done. Happy with this setup! Note this is on my Westfalia Club Joker but a Cali Ocean should work too.
dbed7b307c13a2cf3de5417754ac0673.jpg

475298a7065e0f946a314a02d5e522e8.jpg

And yes, I can still use EHU!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went through the AC socket on the side panel. Removed it and cut a small notch to fit the plug through. Easy to pull out the cable I need and then retract it manually when done. Happy with this setup! Note this is on my Westfalia Club Joker but a Cali Ocean should work too.
dbed7b307c13a2cf3de5417754ac0673.jpg

475298a7065e0f946a314a02d5e522e8.jpg

And yes, I can still use EHU!

Yes, that looks like the best option.
Very good idea.
Have you got a plug to put over end of the silver dishy end, so bugs / crud dosent get into it ?
As I guess it just sits above the EHU circle bit of plastic.
Has it ever slipped back into the hole?

There’s a grommet at the top of the boot that you can use - solar panel cabling goes through a slit in the bottom so sure you could use it for a dish cable

There’s a grommet at the top of the boot that you can use - solar panel cabling goes through a slit in the bottom so sure you could use it for a dish cable
I don’t want to cut the dishy cable and don’t think it (the grommet) will be big enough to push the end of the cable connector through.
Would be a bit of a nightmare to get it above cupboard also.
(I’ll have a look, when it stops raining !)
I did think, I could then attach it up, and to the side of the Solar and plug and unplug as & when.

IMG_7606.jpeg

Yes, that looks like the best option.
Very good idea.
Have you got a plug to put over end of the silver dishy end, so bugs / crud dosent get into it ?
As I guess it just sits above the EHU circle bit of plastic.
Has it ever slipped back into the hole?

I haven’t bothered and it hasn’t been an issue for 2 months now with driving in some crazy conditions. When the AC door is shut it’s sealed up. If that’s something you want to do there are plug covers on Etsy. Or the ones that came with the cable (but small and easily lost).

It will never slip back into the hole. I removed the entire AC socket to make it small enough to squeeze it through, but it certainly won’t push back through easily.

I haven’t bothered and it hasn’t been an issue for 2 months now with driving in some crazy conditions. When the AC door is shut it’s sealed up. If that’s something you want to do there are plug covers on Etsy. Or the ones that came with the cable (but small and easily lost).

It will never slip back into the hole. I removed the entire AC socket to make it small enough to squeeze it through, but it certainly won’t push back through easily.

And to clarify, once you remove the AC socket box it splits in 2 pieces. So the notch is mainly for easy sliding of the cable to retract and extend. I also lined the cutout with some window seal trim to prevent the cable from getting cut up on the plastic edges.

Today’s modification completed. Installed Yaosheng devices to convert to 12v and use my own router. Was a tight fit to install behind the panel in the wardrobe closet but happy with the end result! Looks to be saving about 10-15% power.
23d8518dbf3c9d1d531cbb6180acfbfe.jpg

be901553b6eca73edda410f946eda04e.jpg

No cutting of the Starlink cable which is great! Happy to provide links to the kit if asked.

Final photo of install completed before closing it up.
63a0f3d095cfb26d21bf96e0f0d64084.jpg

99be860dd072db4355d5b389038fa9a9.jpg

1b373571f306fdb9db79c62d02511755.jpg

Nice, I’ve just reactivated Starlink to do some testing at home.
I’ve got a Yaosheng coming from the US Amazon site.
Where did you get yours from ?
Absolutely post links.
I’ve been asking Yaosheng how to buy from the UK, and they are trying to setup something…
:thumb
IMG_7855.jpegIMG_7852.png

IMG_7627.jpeg
Using a Boon Docker and cut Starlink adaptor.

Absolutely post links.
I’ve been asking Yaosheng how to buy from the UK, and they are trying to setup something…
View attachment 112577View attachment 112578

Ordered mine from US Amazon as well and had my freight forwarder then send to me.

As long as it works right? However the Yaosheng kit is really nice quality and in a solid metal case. I didn’t want to cut any cables and their kit is superb!

Note you also need a 12-48v step up converter and I bought a Eufang that is 6A at 48v. That’s about 288 watts which is more than sufficient for boot up of the dish.

Absolutely post links.
Note you also need a 12-48v step up converter and I bought a Eufang that is 6A at 48v. That’s about 288 watts which is more than sufficient for boot up of the dish.

Have you checked out boondocker.io ?
It’s a 12-48v step up converter.
My metal case for the boondocker step up arrived.
I’ll pop a photo in here when I’ve tidied up.

Absolutely post links.

Have you checked out boondocker.io ?
It’s a 12-48v step up converter.
My metal case for the boondocker step up arrived.
I’ll pop a photo in here when I’ve tidied up.

Haven’t checked it out, but after seeing a few reviews of the Yaosheng I was sold.

Starlink has been on all day, with a laptop connected and playing some films.
2 dashcams, fridge, router and 12 to 48v step up PSU, not much sun, a lot of rain and clouds.
And batteries are on 12.4v
So that’s not too bad.
I’ll power off the internet now and let batteries have a couple of hours daylight.
IMG_7859.jpeg

Got a GL.iNet M2 5G development board arriving this week.
So will a back up of 5G whilst driving…
And will mount in a dev plastic case.

I’m going to have to find some time to get into the 240v EHU.
Does it unscrew from the outside ?
IMG_7853.jpeg
Will be easier if it does..
Hopes so :Nailbiting

IMG_7862.jpeg
Free end protector.

Absolutely post links.
View attachment 112577View attachment 112578
Any issues raising the roof with the Starlink weight and mount being on one side?

Any issues raising the roof with the Starlink weight and mount being on one side?
No issues, roof raises up straight on both sides.
Dishy weighs around 4.2 Kg and the bracket is 1Kg
I have around 30kg of Solar and brackets too.
So 35.2KG in total and the roof raises with no issues.

Back