Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starlink - Global internet

It moves around but I’m keeping an eye on it. In Switzerland it’s best to have it facing North East. So far I’m pleased with these results. Sitting high in the mountains of Pilatus with poor mobile 4G or 5G:

3176bb09dad80600eaa7ac8fd8e99582.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks fantastic. How do you power it? Do you need to be hooked up or can you use the leisure battery?

I need to test if I can use the 300w invertor. I think it should be ok, as it is classed around 50w.
Will test soon.

15 minutes start to finish.
Bolted pivot mount on, plug into invertor under drivers seat
Router fires up.
(Forgot to stow - unstow) so did that.
It found its position pointing SSE after 4 minutes.
Another 5 minutes and I’m online with 193Meg from Dishy McDishFace.
Technology is amazing.
Drawing around 2amps, whilst watching sky go, switching to Spotify. And downloading a file.

Last edited:
Router fires up.
Technology is amazing.
Drawing around 2amps, whilst watching sky go, switching to Spotify. And downloading a file.

Awesome!

Router fires up.
Technology is amazing.
YES! Any detail on the plate for the runner you bought appreciated (and why not bolt size while we are at it :))

YES! Any detail on the plate for the runner you bought appreciated (and why not bolt size while we are at it :))
Need to speak with @Johnboy about that !
He’s the man who does the awesome Mounts.
You have very similar names.
Very confusing :D
Is that you John ?
If yes, I’ll send pictures asap

Have you tried it with the roof up yet? that's when I am thinking it supremely useful too!

Have you tried it with the roof up yet? that's when I am thinking it supremely useful too!
I can’t see a problem with the roof up.
The roof only opens 16 degrees.
You can stow and unstow McDishy right next to the awning. It won’t touch the awning, the roof bars, nor the solar panel.
Once the roofs up, just stow / unstow and it will find its best position in <5 minutes.

Excellent news.. I can just see some sites needing the extra height to avoid the obstructions and this is the most elegant way IMO (writing this from my Starlink connection, triple checking before working from a place with only 3G next week!)

IMG_6962.jpegIMG_6963.jpegIMG_6964.jpeg
Used the cable gland fittings inside each other as the collar. Works perfect and will squash down to hold it tight

I have 200Ah of Lithium batteries, a 2,000 watt inverter, and Solar. So all off grid for me.

Do you think it matters if the California MY23 Inverter isn’t pure sine wave ?
Just worried I’m going to fry the Starlink router?
I guess if it does fry it, it’ll push me to convert to 12v to 48v

There are now, so many ways to power the dish now via (chopping the end of the dish cable and putting on a shielded RJ45, with different standard of RJ45 wiring)
(Even a way to use a Ethernet to dishy Converter! Nice!)
One end is T568B
  1. White Orange
  2. Orange
  3. White Green
  4. Blue
  5. White Blue
  6. Green
  7. White Brown
  8. Brown

And the dishy2 end needs chopping off and
Using the following way to wire into an RJ45 plug.

1. White Orange
  2. Orange
  3. Blue
  4. White Green
  5. Green
  6. White Blue
  7. White Brown
  8. Brown
Credit goes to this guy that I follow.

Next on my list is to convert Dishy2 to flat mount so that I can install it permanently onto a frame next to the Solar panels. And still be under 2m !

I connected mine here with a pole mount adapter. Works in motion too at the moment. It’s under 2m if I take it off the pole mount. If you put it flat on the roof, when the roof is up it’s at 45 degrees, so not sure if that will work?

IMG_5857.jpeg

Do you think it matters if the California MY23 Inverter isn’t pure sine wave ?
Just worried I’m going to fry the Starlink router?
I guess if it does fry it, it’ll push me to convert to 12v to 48v

There are now, so many ways to power the dish now via (chopping the end of the dish cable and putting on a shielded RJ45, with different standard of RJ45 wiring)
(Even a way to use a Ethernet to dishy Converter! Nice!)
One end is T568B
  1. White Orange
  2. Orange
  3. White Green
  4. Blue
  5. White Blue
  6. Green
  7. White Brown
  8. Brown

And the dishy2 end needs chopping off and
Using the following way to wire into an RJ45 plug.

1. White Orange
  2. Orange
  3. Blue
  4. White Green
  5. Green
  6. White Blue
  7. White Brown
  8. Brown
Credit goes to this guy that I follow.

Next on my list is to convert Dishy2 to flat mount so that I can install it permanently onto a frame next to the Solar panels. And still be under 2m !

I just finished installing mine cleanly under my bench seat. I chose to use a Dometic 350w pure sine inverter dedicated for this alone as its super silent and efficient. That way I don’t need to have my large Victron powered up unless I need it for something else. I’ve seen average 40 watts from the batteries which is acceptable for me. No need to do a hack job 12v conversion using a different router. Also ran the cable out via my AC outlet on the outside of the van. Works great and can still use EHU.

d6354447c1b49b360b67c69823ba431a.jpg

65ba8638d622fa18f73ef8bba66449c5.jpg

That’s looking great.
Been watching Everlanders on YouTube. and you get a 10% from Boondockers.io for the 2nd gen 12v to 48v and POE all in one. Use the code Everlanders.
Looks a nice solution.
So I ordered it. !

I connected mine here with a pole mount adapter. Works in motion too at the moment. It’s under 2m if I take it off the pole mount. If you put it flat on the roof, when the roof is up it’s at 45 degrees, so not sure if that will work?

View attachment 110392
Are you using the on board Inverter? And original Router ?

Back