Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New Volkswagen Grand California is confirmed

I've seen the XXL on the inside and it was very nice ...
Now with the definitive version some changes (other than the roof ) may have been done.
It's all down to the price , my guess +80.000€ to start from

Well it looks exactly what we are after.
Just down to when RHD 4motion auto is available....oh & it’s sub £100k

Barn doors eh?

So much bigger as a cali, but still no room for 2 (expensive) bikes.

I wish the shower and toilet were in the back. With in the side a big storage room/garage. And than the large bed will be in the middle. Rest the same.

That got to be my dream lay out.

Kinda missing the front room panaramic view. Looks great, and it is awesome sleeping there. Will be an option i geuss.

But than comes the money... a normal Cali i would buy because it is awesome, but also small. And can be used a lot outside camping. I think there are cheaper options available, but not they aint better.

This one is bigger obviously, so would not be handy to use outside camping. (Gas will also be kore expensive). And when i than look at the competition. For 80k-100k....

It gets a lot more difficult to still go for the Cali. With the xxl you go for comfort, not for cosey and easy of use. And if you go for comfort, i have a range of very tempting options to chose from.

Now... lucky for me.. i dont have to chose, cause i cannot pay them at all hahaha!

It is still a Cali ocean for me... but want to see more of the xxl.

Sorry, can not edit my previous post, contains tons of spelling mistakes. My bad... :Iamsorry

It will be interesting to see what it's finally priced at. There is a lot of competition from the Fiat/Peugeot and Sprinter based conversions in that size of van.

Friends of ours have an Autosleeper panel van based on the Peugeot chassis and they paid £53k brand new, it is a very similar layout to the photo of the California Grand. However you need to add that the California Grand is a Volkswagen and also that it is factory built so I would put a base price guesstimate at £68,000

VW made one big mistake with the new Crafter, it should have had a 150mm wider body. That is where the Sevel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevel) based vehicles score, they will accommodate a transverse bed where a Crafter won't.
For the conversion market price of the base vehicle is obviously the major factor and again the Sevel models score over quality and marque loyalty.

Very bling. But do I detect a touch of 'smurf' on the roofline?

VW made one big mistake with the new Crafter, it should have had a 150mm wider body. That is where the Sevel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevel) based vehicles score, they will accommodate a transverse bed where a Crafter won't.
For the conversion market price of the base vehicle is obviously the major factor and again the Sevel models score over quality and marque loyalty.
Westfalia do a slide out/lift up flap that gives a 2 m bed on the Sven Hedin on the same Crafter body. VW could do it if they wanted.

It could never be a daily driver and It would be too restrictive for my use. Also in towns it seems car parking spaces are getting smaller and height restrictions make it a definite no no for me. Pricing might frighten many too.

Once a vehicle has stepped over the 2m height barrier then for me it is a motorhome in competition with all the other motorhomes and their are some wonderful conversions out there without another one coming along. Sorry, my Cali, "Limboing" along, under height barriers, in multi stories, squeezing down by-ways missing overhanging tree branches .....

That looks so much better than the concept vehicle. That nasty stern end has gone.

I wonder if they've redesigned the interior. I'm not keen on that pull out bathroom as it cuts the van in half. Could be very irritating if there's more than one on board. Also the concept interior reminds me of a dentist, all white and clinical, yuk!

You'll be delighted to learn it has solar panels on the roof as standard, but the upper berth is an option...

Oh - and @hotel california will be disgusted that it comes with a satellite dish as standard.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
We’ve spent a couple of months searching for a “VW Campervan” (for No 2 son) on the usual websites. Every time we thought we had found a bargain it turned out to be one based on a Crafter. So used values are likely to drop quicker than it’s smaller sibling.

I realise I am in the minority but I quite like it, at least it looks more cool than the equivalent Fiat and Peugeot panel vans and best of all it can keep you within this great VW community and have a toilet on board

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Hopefully it will be at the nec in October

I think it’s a good idea for vw, the Cali is a factory campervan and amazing blows all other conversions away.
So if ever I wanted to change to a motor home I would definitely be checking out the grand and hoping they can do the same.
This isn’t designed to compete with a Cali in my opinion.

I like it, especially now that they be got rid of that weird hump on the back.
I'd certainly consider it when we look to upgrade, it's an interesting alternative to the Burstners and Hymers etc

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back