Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Space Mate sliding boot shelf

From what I could gather on the V2, yes, but a lot less than the V1 as he has the mechanism as close as he can to the floor. Will also depend on if you have a 6 or a 6.1 - the mechanism for the reclining back gets in the way on the 6.1, especially on the left hand side. The new V2 though is a lot lower so the 335 now clears the bar on the right hand side with the matting in.
I was thinking of doing away with the boxes thereby creating more width. The sides of v2 would keep kit together ?

We looked at the V1 from California Times previous video and thought the sides were too high for our needs. We went with the Campervanbits version and find it incredibly useful. The price was good too with the discount.

I'm sure either will do a great job though.

Taken the Plunge and ordered one...I the the fact that they are so easier to remove with two wing nuts, makes it so flexible - re extra payload..we dont have kids or pets so can claw some back and still not have to diet!

Said I would drop some images on. Dropped by near Birmingham today so met Simon who designed and makes then and also fitted for me. It's basically two T shaped bolts that go in the back and the lower frame fits over them. Super easy.

Here is the unit in, empty. I got the coin matting which looks good, is thin and stops things moving or rattling.

IMG_2805 Large.jpeg

Here is the frame at the back, you can see the two bolts that hold it in.:

IMG_2806 Large.jpegIMG_2807 Large.jpegIMG_2808 Large.jpeg

Here is the unit with my stuff in - I've had to move it around a little because the turned lip reduces the space. You can see the 335 fits nicely at the back right and the shelf pulls out to allow you to remove without having to move anything else.

IMG_2812 Large.jpeg

Here is the gap above the 335 - its 2 - 3 mm, just fits.

IMG_2813 Large.jpeg

And here is the space down the side - the V2 is slightly wider so uses all the space now.

IMG_2809 Large.jpegIMG_2810 Large.jpeg

Any questions - shoot.

Said I would drop some images on. Dropped by near Birmingham today so met Simon who designed and makes then and also fitted for me. It's basically two T shaped bolts that go in the back and the lower frame fits over them. Super easy.

Here is the unit in, empty. I got the coin matting which looks good, is thin and stops things moving or rattling.

View attachment 105539

Here is the frame at the back, you can see the two bolts that hold it in.:

View attachment 105540View attachment 105541View attachment 105542

Here is the unit with my stuff in - I've had to move it around a little because the turned lip reduces the space. You can see the 335 fits nicely at the back right and the shelf pulls out to allow you to remove without having to move anything else.

View attachment 105543

Here is the gap above the 335 - its 2 - 3 mm, just fits.

View attachment 105544

And here is the space down the side - the V2 is slightly wider so uses all the space now.

View attachment 105545View attachment 105546

Any questions - shoot.
Very helpful, thank you for taking the time to post these

Looks good...Ordered mine with Simon but there's been such a rush he's got to put another batch into production at their factory and Ive got to wait a few weeks. I like the idea that it can be removed so quickly and Ive got over the added weight as we dont have kids or pets..the spacemate V2 is now the equivalent of my dog! Ive gone for the mat too :)

@dspuk Quote: "Any questions - shoot."
Thanks for the information- I am aware that with some of the similar pull out trays offered by rival companies that these prevent the rear bench seat from moving to its fully back position with the consequence that you lose about 5cm in the living area. Is this the same for this tray?

Thanks for the information- I am aware that with some of the similar pull out trays offered by rival companies that these prevent the rear bench seat from moving to its fully back position with the consequence that you lose about 5cm in the living area. Is this the same for this tray?
Seat can slide all the way back with tray fitted, with no loss of living space :)

Nope. Seat all the way back here.

Hey folks, I purchased one from Simon last week and it arrived the other day. Just fitted it and I reckon it's one of the best purchases I have made. I will follow this up with pics but Simon is great to deal with and the product is top notch. Oddly (or not) I can fit more in the boot space than without the Spaceman. The reason for this is that because everything is neatly packed into the sliding drawer and it has sides, I seem to be able to use the boot more efficiently. Oh, and the port potty fits perfectly and inside its storage bag!

Odd - on the video it only fit far back right (where ours sits happily) when they have the mat out. Has this been changed? Or do you mean front right?
335 fits in to the rear right, front right & front left on the V2.

335 fits in to the rear right, front right & front left on the V2.
Yup. As per my pics. We have RR and can now get out with a slide and zero movement of any other item. The SpaceMate also comes out far enough to lift off in one. Obvs my later post and purchase answered my own question but Simon did as well. Note - It also fits in all 3 positions in the V1 but only RR without the matting. Now it does with.

Last edited:
Back