Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Space Mate sliding boot shelf

Just for interest this is our homemade one. Total cost about £120 and this was mainly for the runners. I wanted to keep space on the left handside for walking poles, skis etc so divided it off with a piece of plastic board. Been in now for eight years without any problems.

View attachment 107468

View attachment 107469
I and others would be very grateful for any build details you could provide. I’m in the market for one of Simon’s excellent trays but like you I already have need for a side alley.

Which running and fixing gear do you settle on please?

The make of the runners is mentioned in the original post. Ours are lockable heavy duty ones as I wanted them to last.
The sliding frame and the the holders bolted to the floor for the runners are 75mm alloy angle.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ive got one too...it is a clever, well designed and precision bit of kit that utilises every bit of space to the mm...definitely recommend. Simon who leads this production at their works is super helpful and is passionate as has his own Cali and initially designed this to carry around his workplace heavy tools...so definitely a personal interest invested in this product.

We’ve just purchased the Spacemate from Simon, it arrived the following day and we’ve just installed it. If anyone else is considering a slide out drawer, we would highly recommend the Spacemate. The quality of the construction is fabulous, it is so well made and from an engineering point of view, it is machined and welded superbly. Communications throughout during ordering were spot on. Have added a couple of photos, and even had space to put a 12v angled socket adapter so we can still use the 12v socket. Really happy with the product, the rubber mat is very anti slip, so would recommend this too.
I appreciate some have highlighted a concern about the weight, but as the drawer is quite wide, I think the material used and it’s thickness, is spot on, I wouldn’t want it any lighter as would be concerned about flex and rigidity. Out of the three options available on the market, the Spacemate is clearly streets ahead in both quality, strength and design.

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0066.jpeg

We’ve just purchased the Spacemate from Simon, it arrived the following day and we’ve just installed it. If anyone else is considering a slide out drawer, we would highly recommend the Spacemate. The quality of the construction is fabulous, it is so well made and from an engineering point of view, it is machined and welded superbly. Communications throughout during ordering were spot on. Have added a couple of photos, and even had space to put a 12v angled socket adapter so we can still use the 12v socket. Really happy with the product, the rubber mat is very anti slip, so would recommend this too.
I appreciate some have highlighted a concern about the weight, but as the drawer is quite wide, I think the material used and it’s thickness, is spot on, I wouldn’t want it any lighter as would be concerned about flex and rigidity. Out of the three options available on the market, the Spacemate is clearly streets ahead in both quality, strength and design.

View attachment 109517

View attachment 109518
I don't understand the need for high sides and all that weight.
The club shop one is also beautifully designed and made, lighter but no flex it is rigid, with the same weight limit (100kg) and is a little bit cheaper. Recommended.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/vw-se-ocean-pull-out-boot-drawer

I appreciate some have highlighted a concern about the weight, but as the drawer is quite wide, I think the material used and it’s thickness, is spot on, I wouldn’t want it any lighter as would be concerned about flex and rigidity.
I hadn’t considered the weight of the drawer.
How much does it actually weigh?
Thanks

I don't understand the need for high sides and all that weight.
The club shop one is also beautifully designed and made, lighter but no flex it is rigid, with the same weight limit (100kg) and is a little bit cheaper. Recommended.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/vw-se-ocean-pull-out-boot-drawer
I am sure that the shop one is very good, but I think that if you put the two side by side, the majority of people would choose the SpaceMate. The build quality is fantastic and the customer service is unrivalled, but that’s only my experience.

I hadn’t considered the weight of the drawer.
How much does it actually weigh?
Thanks
My recollection is 25KG. Or my legs. On a 3 Tonne van I find the weight point curious. From a usage perspective it feels like nothing due to its rails. Sure both are equally good but I prefer the heft, quality and functionality of the SM.

My recollection is 25KG. Or my legs. On a 3 Tonne van I find the weight point curious. From a usage perspective it feels like nothing due to its rails. Sure both are equally good but I prefer the heft, quality and functionality of the SM.
3 tonne van is not relevant, payload is. I imagine plod would find lack of consideration of gross vehicle weight curious when they pull you over.
May not be an issue for those that only ever travel 2 up but it sure is 4 up, particularly in a 4Motion.

May not be an issue for those that only ever travel 2 up but it sure is 4 up, particularly in a 4Motion.
With the payload of a 4Motion being about 375 Kg, I can see it could make a difference.
A question on payload though..

Does the official payload include the driver, full tank of fuel and full tank of water?

Edit.. just read that unladen weight includes 90% fuel and 75kg driver. Can’t see mention of water though.

Last edited:
3 tonne van is not relevant, payload is. I imagine plod would find lack of consideration of gross vehicle weight curious when they pull you over.
That's not quite the overall point I was making and little need to be an arse to be honest. Either be civil or just leave it - life is too short.

With the payload of a 4Motion being about 375 Kg, I can see it could make a difference.
A question on payload though..

Does the official payload include the driver, full tank of fuel and full tank of water?

Edit.. just read that unladen weight includes 90% fuel and 75kg driver. Can’t see mention of water though.
The answer from @andyinluton on this should help on the math. As he points out, the reality is you would likely run out of space before weight. It's one of those forum nitpick points that applys to very few people, if any, and should be parked under "it's never really gonna be a problem". Even with a 25KG SpaceMate (or 13KG club version).

T It's one of those forum nitpick points that applys to very few people, if any, and should be parked under "it's never really gonna be a problem". Even with a 25KG SpaceMate (or 13KG club version).
The other point is that you have a certain 375kg payload on a 4 motion cali, you know that as VW have published it. The tolerance on weigh bridges from the .GOV site is:

The accuracy limit for gross or train weights of a multi-plate weighbridge is +/- 50kg multiplied by the number of plates used for the weighing. Where an axle or group of axles is weighed on the same plate the accuracy limit is +/- 100kg.

So that gives you a further 100kg before you are even considered to be overweight.

You've then got to consider the penalties :

A fixed penalty notice

The amount can vary depending on how overloaded your van is, for example:

Overloaded by… Fine or penalty
Less than 10% £100
Between 10% and 14% £200
Between 15% and 30% £300
Over 30% Probably court summons

It's not a recommendation to overload your cali, but let's not get too carried away about the odd 25kg or so.

That's not quite the overall point I was making and little need to be an arse to be honest. Either be civil or just leave it - life is too short.
Ok, I was being civil and wasn’t being an ‘arse’ as you put it. Just informing your curiosity. You must be having a bad day.

I think this is brilliant. I used to use a variety of boxes which were awkward to slide in and would have to be put on the ground. This makes things much easier. Before buying I was concerned with loss of space but actually the drawer makes for more efficient, usable space. The height of the sides is perfect and means that some things no longer need to be boxed. Construction and sliding is faultless. I get full extension of the drawer with my folded bike rack (Uebler i21).

tempImageTkq4gU.jpg

Ok, I was being civil and wasn’t being an ‘arse’ as you put it. Just informing your curiosity. You must be having a bad day.
I thought that your point was relevant especially on the 4M which may have a towbar fitted and carry bikes, 2 or 4.
Every weight factor needs consideration.

Fines aren't the main worry of overloading it's the possibility of being stopped/checked and not permitted to proceed without unloading the excess which can't just be dumped as that would open up illegal dumping issue/fines.

It’s worth doing an exercise to estimate the weight of your laden van, but I’d be amazed if the 24/25kg figure for the tray suggested previously is correct. It’s heavy because it’s sturdily made, but I lifted and fitted it myself without difficulty. I can’t see a weight quoted on the spacemate website.

It’s worth doing an exercise to estimate the weight of your laden van, but I’d be amazed if the 24/25kg figure for the tray suggested previously is correct. It’s heavy because it’s sturdily made, but I lifted and fitted it myself without difficulty. I can’t see a weight quoted on the spacemate website.
Purely out of idle curiosity I've weighed my ready to use portaloo and close to 12kgs.
just shows how quickly 100kgs can add up with basics, water and gas etc.

Slider is appealing though as loading/unloading heavy items from under the shelf is easy.
Loss of a bit of vertical height might make wine/spirit bottles difficult??

Purely out of idle curiosity I've weighed my ready to use portaloo and close to 12kgs.
just shows how quickly 100kgs can add up with basics, water and gas etc.

Slider is appealing though as loading/unloading heavy items from under the shelf is easy.
Loss of a bit of vertical height might make wine/spirit bottles difficult??
My tray has the optional rubber mat, so no difficulty - though I made my own wine rack for the under hob cupboard :) If you’re thinking of buying, I think the 10% discount still applies. It’s mentioned in the second of the Camper Time videos.
IMG_5356.jpeg

IMG_5355.jpeg

Simon from Space Mate's customer service is second to none..I had a minor issue from an earlier purchase and wishing for my experience to be a good one with the product and the company he turned up today at my house with a total new replacement, which works perfectly...you cant say better than that...really nice guy and Over a brew we compared Cali's as he came in his and compared Gadgets...my neighbour thought there was a campervan convention going on! :) One thing that will soon be on his online website is a few accessories that fit onto the space mate whilst extended to turn it into a kitchen / BBQ area and sink run from the shower attachment..very nifty and possibly located in all the 'dead' space under the tray for storing it. Simon is also thinking of alternatively creating a 'safe' area to store laptops etc under the tray that is accessible when pulled out....Simon is a cross between Alan Sugar & the mad scientist! , nice guy who will give you the time of day, want you to be happy and will ensure that happens...I totally recommend the Spacemate and Simon...he said since he started in Feb he's sold 600 trays and even a couple of VW dealers near his home address now have them on display in vans in their show room which you can Buy direct from the dealer...if it wasn't good they wouldn't want to associate themselves..so that speaks volumes. If deliberating, just do it as you wont be disappointed.

I think this is brilliant. I used to use a variety of boxes which were awkward to slide in and would have to be put on the ground. This makes things much easier. Before buying I was concerned with loss of space but actually the drawer makes for more efficient, usable space. The height of the sides is perfect and means that some things no longer need to be boxed. Construction and sliding is faultless. I get full extension of the drawer with my folded bike rack (Uebler i21).

View attachment 109677
Which Bike rack do you have please?

I’m firmly in the not needed camp, for a 6.1 at least. The ability to raise the bed board allows full access to the boot space, unlike earlier models. So it’s a lot of weight to carry and a fairly hefty investment, reducing your useable space for very limited benefit imo - I would recommend using the van for a while and then see if you think you still need it.
Totally agree. Had one self built in T6 but did not install in T6.1 for exactly the same reasons .

Back