Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Space Mate sliding boot shelf

We purchased the club shop model and made my own partitions out of thin ply , now covered in thin carpet as used on conversions, all partitions are designed to take the toilet and the rear one which is full width takes a toilet tent , i find it great and think it is money well invested makes life a lot easier

597287F4-D968-4483-841E-E89D5F00C684.jpeg

8E69450B-56EC-4CB7-BDE5-A9440EFBD00D.jpeg

Does anyone have the club shop model ? The shelve I believe slides completely out and leaves the frame in, so you can get at tools and battery as anyone tried this ??

Does anyone have the club shop model ? The shelve I believe slides completely out and leaves the frame in, so you can get at tools and battery as anyone tried this ??
I believe both of them will stop you getting the battery out, with the SpaceMate having a larger frame. Both of them have the full shelf slide completely out.

Having had the battery out when I put Solar in the space is so tight both frames would have to be removed to remove them anyway.

I've just had a look and to get at the battery you would need to remove the bench mechanism as always but you can access - it may be very difficult to pull the battery out though.

IMG_2825 Medium.jpeg

Tools is fine - just pull the seat forward a few inches.

IMG_2824 Medium.jpeg

Last edited:
@dspuk Quote: "Any questions - shoot."
Thanks for the information- I am aware that with some of the similar pull out trays offered by rival companies that these prevent the rear bench seat from moving to its fully back position with the consequence that you lose about 5cm in the living area. Is this the same for this tray?
The v2 fits into the rear space without moving the bench seat so you can still access stuff from the cupboards under the gas hob.

Said I would drop some images on. Dropped by near Birmingham today so met Simon who designed and makes then and also fitted for me. It's basically two T shaped bolts that go in the back and the lower frame fits over them. Super easy.

View attachment 105543
After getting the SpaceMate been on the hunt for a unit that would fit perfectly in the space in between the left side and the 335 to maximise the width and height, replace my old garage collapsing box.

After searching and tape measure wrangling this North Face Base Camp Box is perfect and fits loads of stuff in. Super pleased.

IMG_2946 Large.jpeg

After getting the SpaceMate been on the hunt for a unit that would fit perfectly in the space in between the left side and the 335 to maximise the width and height, replace my old garage collapsing box.

After searching and tape measure wrangling this North Face Base Camp Box is perfect and fits loads of stuff in. Super pleased.

View attachment 106212
Is it just like an open suitcase inside or compartmentalised??

View attachment 106212
Is this the 65L version?

Just fitted. Easy to fit and easy to remove if required. I have been a two box person since 2014 and can confirm that this tray provides more room and is easier to get access. I definitely think the higher sides are an advantage. I also store a few poles on the near side which slide nicely along the top of the tray into the side gap of sliding seat. Certainly recommend this as a great option.

18907A04-EF2D-44A8-8002-521B009FA1B6.jpeg

DCBB85A8-4629-4674-BBF2-1B1225106040.jpeg

E3D7404C-6789-491B-98D3-5B059B997001.jpeg

DFC0871D-5507-465B-9EA2-27C16F8079C9.jpeg

E4DB20FF-F7FB-4C2D-B7F4-2FCD0D251C3C.jpeg

C09C1B07-8B2A-4639-A7FD-41EE79BFC8EF.jpeg

Just fitted. Easy to fit and easy to remove if required. I have been a two box person since 2014 and can confirm that this tray provides more room and is easier to get access. I definitely think the higher sides are an advantage. I also store a few poles on the near side which slide nicely along the top of the tray into the side gap of sliding seat. Certainly recommend this as a great option.

View attachment 106232

View attachment 106233

View attachment 106234

View attachment 106235

View attachment 106236

View attachment 106237
Looks great. Thanks for posting.

We're just making the adjustment from T5 conversion to T6 Ocean. We've previously gone down the 'really useful box' route in the back.
So far with the Ocean we've tended to push the rear seat forward when travelling, both for passenger comfort and to create more 'boot' space.
One reservation I have with the slide-out tray option is that it might make the 'extra' boot space (when seat is slid forward) harder to access, especially with a high lip around the tray.
Does anyone have any experience of this, or is there a variation of the tray available without the rear 'lip' to make sliding stuff in & out from the depths easier or to otherwise accommodate this?
(We have ths T6 without the quick lifty-up thing so need to reach in on our bellies at the moment).
Thanks

We're just making the adjustment from T5 conversion to T6 Ocean. We've previously gone down the 'really useful box' route in the back.
So far with the Ocean we've tended to push the rear seat forward when travelling, both for passenger comfort and to create more 'boot' space.
One reservation I have with the slide-out tray option is that it might make the 'extra' boot space (when seat is slid forward) harder to access, especially with a high lip around the tray.
Does anyone have any experience of this, or is there a variation of the tray available without the rear 'lip' to make sliding stuff in & out from the depths easier or to otherwise accommodate this?
(We have ths T6 without the quick lifty-up thing so need to reach in on our bellies at the moment).
Thanks
Pretty sure they all have a use a lip. TBH we rarely move forward, only if we have passengers in and want to chat - and certainly not when on site as we want to maximise the cabin space. If we filled the gap with stuff it would just be more items to remove from the van and put somewhere else and we prefer a minimalist approach. If we did need the full space for other purposes, moving stuff or going to the tip, we can remove with just two bolts. If you do move seats forward and lift the rear shelf up, you could easily throw in a drive away awning and Duvalay in the gap to then take out on site. Just slide the drawer out, lift the shelf and you can access the space in between the seat and carrier. You could also access by leaning over the back seat from the cabin.

Last edited:

Thanks
I've heard that there's a version coming that would fix to the seat and wheels so that this space can be used at night with the lower bed in use too.

I've heard that there's a version coming that would fix to the seat and wheels so that this space can be used at night with the lower bed in use too.
The spacemate can be used fully whilst the lower bed is deployed

Looping back to this, I finally got myself a space mate tray and installed it last week ahead of an Easter trip to Brecon.

As others have said, the tray was very easy to install. I did it myself though would be more sensible with two people to lift it in.

Arrived very well packaged, delivered by FedEx in good time - this was a particular worry of mine as I previously ordered the club shop one but that arrived damaged.

The high sides are a real bonus I think as helps cram stuff in without it spilling over.

Overall was so useful whilst away - we kept a top opening suitcase in it last weekend and was like have a big clothes drawer on hand. Plus could fit a box for our muddy boots and trail shoes and plenty other bits too. Seems to fit very well and makes use of the whole boot space. Handle, frame, mechanism all very sturdy.

Appreciate some people prefer sliding their boxes and bags in and out but if you are looking for a boot tray I’d definitely recommend this one!

5178504C-F732-4BFB-842E-4D950BF67D85.jpeg

6D55B5E2-2C25-4A4F-9DF1-733A3F133381.jpeg

We purchased the club shop model and made my own partitions out of thin ply , now covered in thin carpet as used on conversions, all partitions are designed to take the toilet and the rear one which is full width takes a toilet tent , i find it great and think it is money well invested makes life a lot easier

View attachment 105624

View attachment 105625
I think this is great customisation:)

Just fitted mine yesterday. Easy to fit and while it consumes some space, it is much easier to get access to things at the back. I can still fit my Fiamma levelling ramps down the side of the seat drawer too. While there are times when the rear shelf is empty, as we sleep upstairs this space is used for storage so we cannot rely upon being able to raise the rear shelf. Storage is now really easy. 4da14ebc-4612-4504-a5f0-4f54e1e45eb7.jpgc09037e7-31c1-4bf8-9ff3-c9eb2667ee39.jpgd9b5c65e-e0b5-40cd-b6e6-3e2831463b3b.jpg

Same as the above really - just back from 10 days doing the NC500 and the SpaceMate was a lifesaver. Kept everything neat, super easy to get the 335 in and out on and evening and morning and just made life on the road a lot simpler. The North Face top opening base camp box we have in it is perfect, goes all the way to the top and just eats all the smaller bits an bobs.

Does anyone use these rear slide out drawers (any brand) that are also using a towbar mounted bike carrier that tilts enough to allow a T6 - 6.1 tailgate to open (e.g. the ones specifically designed Thule, Atera, etc. - see photo)? I'm wondering if any rear slide out drawer system would be compromised, in as much as it wouldn't be able to fully extend due to bike rack?
I'd be Interested in others views on this.

Screenshot_20230418_231103_Chrome.jpg

Does anyone use these rear slide out drawers (any brand) that are also using a towbar mounted bike carrier that tilts enough to allow a T6 - 6.1 tailgate to open (e.g. the ones specifically designed Thule, Atera, etc. - see photo)? I'm wondering if any rear slide out drawer system would be compromised, in as much as it wouldn't be able to fully extend due to bike rack?
I'd be Interested in others views on this.

View attachment 107463
Yep. Thule XT 3 bike Carrier and space mate. Thought I might need to adapt the cable mount on the carrier but it’s fine. Plenty of room fully extended. IMG_0539.jpeg

Just for interest this is our homemade one. Total cost about £120 and this was mainly for the runners. I wanted to keep space on the left handside for walking poles, skis etc so divided it off with a piece of plastic board. Been in now for eight years without any problems.

P1110057.JPG

P1110059.JPG

Back