Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Space Mate sliding boot shelf

I too used to be in the not needed camp but now very glad I got one. I find the space lost is more than compensated by more efficient storage and access. For me the ability to raise the bed board is of very limited use, essentially only when the van is empty. We keep mattress, inflatable boat etc above the bed board. We usually stay in one place for just a night or two, usually stay up top and e.g. don’t empty stuff into an awning, which partly determines how we use storage. That’s the great thing about the Cali, highly adaptable for different uses, we all make our own choices and so have different opinions on what works for us.

Totally agree. Had one self built in T6 but did not install in T6.1 for exactly the same reasons .
Absolutely concur, we had one from Calicap on our Beach, for over 4 years it was invaluable, the best purchase we made for it. On our T6.1 we don’t need one as the ability to raise the board is a game changer in the boot.

Like @The Tall Luthier I have some long LaFuma chairs and wanted to make use of all the space in the van which can be fiddly with the Spacemate. I also wanted to keep my chocks and warning triangle in the bench slot leaving a very tight spot to slot them in. I bought £7 of Velcro and after drilling 4 holes, about half an hour later I had found a solution.
5BE34855-42EA-42CD-AEAD-15C7D6BC4CCE.jpeg
EAC20401-53BD-46EF-92F4-DEF458EDA42C.jpeg
633B45E7-8896-40ED-89B4-6D55BFC40BED.jpeg
From the front of the bench looking out the back of the van.
1688294236071.jpeg
1688294286889.jpeg
1688295046885.jpeg
1688294820671.jpeg

jind 24Pcs Velcro Straps, Velcro Cable Ties, Velcro Straps Adjustable, Releasable Hook and Loop Cable Straps for Various Network Cables, Data Cables and Other Messy Cables(6/10/16/22/28Inches), Black https://amzn.eu/d/7QqJigO

lafuma MAXI POP UP Iso Batyline® Lac https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0073DDK8G/?tag=eliteelect-21

Last edited:
Great way to maximise storage space. Just back from 2 weeks touring Scotland and the space mate made it far easier to access stuff in the boot area. Still working out best combination of storage boxes and arrangement in the space mat.

After a bit of pondering over the Christmas period (there wasn't much on the telly) I finally got round to ordering a SpaceMate (v2.3) & had the shipping note through yesterday. Hooray!
We're already using two 64L Really Useful Boxes under the rear bench/bed shelf and I see from this thread that they will fit side by side into the Ocean SpaceMate, so we'll probably start off with that as the default. Does anyone have any other recommendations for boxes or alternatives to maximise space but add a little bit of order?. I see on other threads that stackable 'Euroboxes' can be useful - has anyone tried those in an Ocean tray?
I'd be interested to hear from those of you who have had the SpaceMate for a full season and how your packing evolved.

(I'll ping up some images after the weekend reshuffle).

Cheers!

Last edited:
After a bit of pondering over the Christmas period (there wasn't much on the telly) I finally got round to ordering a SpaceMate (v2.3) & had the shipping note through yesterday. Hooray!
We're already using two 64L Really Useful Boxes under the rear bench/bed shelf and I see from this thread that they will fit side by side into the Ocean SpaceMate, so we'll probably start off with that as the default. Does anyone have any other recommendations for boxes or alternatives to maximise space but add a little bit of oder?. I see on other threads that stackable 'Euroboxes' can be useful - has anyone tried those in an Ocean tray?
I'd be interested to hear from those of you who have had the SpaceMate for a full season and how your packing evolved.

Cheers!
Having had ours for around 6 months now, the tray really helps in just containing some of the dirty clutter for off-season activities (boots, coats, etc).

For this upcoming season, we'll be looking at using Euroboxes as we're (thankfully) starting to move out of the double-buggy phase, which means we can free the boot up for useful items. I also want to explore getting an Ecoflow or similar and turn it into a 'PowerTray' (name pending.. :D) with charging from the solar panels on the roof (obviously, able to disconnect when required and charging cables feeding into the underside of the bench seat for electionics (out of sight, easy access, etc).

We do have one challenge ahead of us though - drive away awning. We use a big beastly Vango Galli III which usually goes behind the bench (with the bench fully pulled fowards). So that wont work for us going forwards. So we'll either need to lash it down on the rails infront of the bench, or rethink the whole thing.

We're already using two 64L Really Useful Boxes under the rear bench/bed shelf and I see from this thread that they will fit side by side into the Ocean SpaceMate, so we'll probably start off with that as the default. Does anyone have any other recommendations for boxes or alternatives to maximise space but add a little bit of oder?. I see on other threads that stackable 'Euroboxes' can be useful - has anyone tried those in an Ocean tray?

Cheers!
We use this front left - holds all the small bits and bobs with a large inside space and side pockets. Rear left is the BBQ, rear right the 335 and front right used to be boots and is now baby bottles and sterilisers!

Cheers!
I've found these bags and was thinking of adding them to the site if people think they'd be useful as three will sit side by side and perfectly fill the SpaceMate.

tempImageDEoT2u.png

Hi - yes we have a similar quandry, although as there's only 3 us we make do with the Galli compact. Still bulky though when you add the carpet & footprint. When taking the awning away it tends to go under the rear bech alongside one 64L RLB - with the other stuff piled behind the sliding seat, pushed forward. I wasn't able to get it behind the seat previoulsy but now I've taken the forward stopper out this might be possible.
We experimented with combinations of side panels for the wind out awning (Comfortz on the side, Thule sun shade on the front) which was good for festivals and short stops on the continent when we didn't want to bother with the main awning. For this season in the UK we've taken the plunge and bought a Comfortz awning room which might allow us to leave the Galli behind on shorter trips (obvious down side being we have to take everything down to drive away). Ideally I'd like to reduce down our kit to fit into the tray and onto the shelf.

I did have a very helpful email exchange with Simon to explore if the tray could be adapted to make it slide further into the back when the seats are forward to free up a space for the awning at the back. I think his view was this would be theoretically possible but it would (obvioulsy) have cost implications and might reduce rigidity, so it might be too niche.

Since I'm not sure how I'll end up using the SpaceMate I added the net option just in case, though I'll probably end up using boxes.

How are you getting on with your Nord boxes?
Next items on our wish list are kitchen storage, Calicap.de shelf (liaising with friends in Germany re delivery) and mabe an I$OTOP. One thing at a time though!

We're already using two 64L Really Useful Boxes under the rear bench/bed shelf and I see from this thread that they will fit side by side into the Ocean SpaceMate, so we'll probably start off with that as the default. Does anyone have any other recommendations for boxes or alternatives to maximise space but add a little bit of order?. I see on other threads that stackable 'Euroboxes' can be useful - has anyone tried those in an Ocean tray?

Cheers!
We ended up with something similar to this on one side. Keeps things in place and the whole lot can be whipped out when not needed, or you’ve pitched up.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37214213...6&customid=1yQXYUscAAAAwXRgFccGBhhG7u0FAAAAAA

Last edited:
Hi - yes we have a similar quandry, although as there's only 3 us we make do with the Galli compact. Still bulky though when you add the carpet & footprint. When taking the awning away it tends to go under the rear bech alongside one 64L RLB - with the other stuff piled behind the sliding seat, pushed forward. I wasn't able to get it behind the seat previoulsy but now I've taken the forward stopper out this might be possible.
We experimented with combinations of side panels for the wind out awning (Comfortz on the side, Thule sun shade on the front) which was good for festivals and short stops on the continent when we didn't want to bother with the main awning. For this season in the UK we've taken the plunge and bought a Comfortz awning room which might allow us to leave the Galli behind on shorter trips (obvious down side being we have to take everything down to drive away). Ideally I'd like to reduce down our kit to fit into the tray and onto the shelf.

I did have a very helpful email exchange with Simon to explore if the tray could be adapted to make it slide further into the back when the seats are forward to free up a space for the awning at the back. I think his view was this would be theoretically possible but it would (obvioulsy) have cost implications and might reduce rigidity, so it might be too niche.

Since I'm not sure how I'll end up using the SpaceMate I added the net option just in case, though I'll probably end up using boxes.

How are you getting on with your Nord boxes?
Next items on our wish list are kitchen storage, Calicap.de shelf (liaising with friends in Germany re delivery) and mabe an I$OTOP. One thing at a time though!
We're interested in the awning room panels, but they're very expensive and a risk that they might not solve our overall need (ie - dry space for the kids to be kids). The benefit of the Galli III Low is that it just gives that giant space to literally roll around in.

RE Nord boxes - this is where I struggle with the YouTube stuff. I've been hyped about installing them for weeks, but had to show restraint until I had the time and opportunity to actually do the video element. Just so happens that I found said time this past weekend. Looking to get a video out at the weekend if time allows.

But they've definitely brought a bit more order to our disorder. We had so much toot shoved next to one another - even found a water tank hosepipe connector which I bought and subsequently lost, before buying a replacement.... :D I dont think the seller will accept a return after 10 months... :D

Found the time to install this today. For the time being we'll try using it alongside the Brandrup flexbag we already had. This was one of the first storage additions we bought for the van. We currently use it for keeping the 15m hook up cable, grip boards and emergency hi-viz vests. We'll see if we still find it useful with the spacemate tray after a few trips.
For this configuration the bed is set in the higher position and the flexbag fitted with the zip as far up as it will go. This allows the bag & contents bag to fit in the space on top of the tray lid rather than fouling the boot.
I imagine out packing will evolve as we learn how best to use the tray. First proper test next week.

1000033043.jpg

PXL_20240210_143339298.jpg

Found the time to install this today. For the time being we'll try using it alongside the Brandrup flexbag we already had. This was one of the first storage additions we bought for the van. We currently use it for keeping the 15m hook up cable, grip boards and emergency hi-viz vests. We'll see if we still find it useful with the spacemate tray after a few trips.
For this configuration the bed is set in the higher position and the flexbag fitted with the zip as far up as it will go. This allows the bag & contents bag to fit in the space on top of the tray lid rather than fouling the boot.
I imagine out packing will evolve as we learn how best to use the tray. First proper test next week.

View attachment 119040

View attachment 119041
Can you still grab the loop to raise the bed into a chaise?

Back