Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Soon on the road! Slovenia and Croatia here we go!

After a nice stroll around the town of Crikvenica we decided to leave this wonderful country - too hot in this period for me - and head back to Slovenija. Good decision! We took the road to Zagreb and left the A6 in Delnice to cross the boarder in Brod na kupi: that was so easy and we had the impression that this is a secret path...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437588927.690366.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437589056.003729.jpg

After a quick stop in Ljubljana for a wonderful cake in Lolita we went to Camping Sobec near Bled and the alps.

The camping is situated in the forest next to a swimming lake and the pitches are quite natural places next to trees and there are enough bathrooms.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437589265.189718.jpg
However these showers and toilets need to be updated soon...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437589238.956552.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437589364.686634.jpg

In some guides the place is rated as a four star camping... I'm not so sure about this. Anyway if you're looking for a great camping in the nature and a good homebase for all sort of outdoor activities this is the place! Even with children because there are several playgrounds and on tuesday there is some kind of shows (last night were clowns and pirates).

... So we are back again! After spending another night in Achensee (Austria) and a trip over the Arlberg we arrived yesterday late at sweet home and decided to pack again today to take our bikes to Bodensee! That's great fantastic with the Californias: Pack and unpack in a few hours!

We will definitely visit Slovenia and Croatia again next year. However in my opinion it is better to do so in spring or autumn. We loved the people: friendly and kind (I never had any concerns about safety) and the landscape is amazing! Pretty hot (almost 40°C) and dry but the water and the sea is superb! We really liked it and we both think we can recommend these two countries!

PS: Hotel California mentioned the problem with the fridge and the sun: I tried to fix this with a cheap film (kind of gold/silver rescue blanket). Cost me about CHF 6.- and did the it! Thanks for the tip Hotel California.
IMG_4420.JPG

That can help indeed keeping the sun from that side of the Cali in xtreme heat.....
:thumb

Just reading through some old travel posts, and particularly enjoyed this one. We did a Cali trip to Slovenia and Croatia 4 years ago. It is still the best holiday we have ever had. Slovenia in particular is superb, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves beautiful scenery, friendly people, and cycling. We will definitely visit again.

Are you still planning to do your trip to Slovenia?
Yes I am hopefully in July. I am just back from 2 weeks in Vietnam (by motorbike) so will start the planning in the coming month or so!

Yes I am hopefully in July. I am just back from 2 weeks in Vietnam (by motorbike) so will start the planning in the coming month or so!

We might go this May for a short tripWe look forward to plan and start!

We're going in August, so I'm very interested in any tips and places!

We're going in August, so I'm very interested in any tips and places!

What are you looking for? Any prefered activities? We liked the mixture between outdoor (National Park in the North) and nice towns (Ljubljana) and great sightseeing spots (caves and castles).

What are you looking for? Any prefered activities? We liked the mixture between outdoor (National Park in the North) and nice towns (Ljubljana) and great sightseeing spots (caves and castles).
Traveling with 3 children aged 3,5,7 so it has to be child friendly. Spots to play near a river, castles and caves will also interest them, to some extend at least. Mostly nice nature, suited for walking or small hikes. Campsites with green and lots of room, an occasional swimming pool could be nice...

Traveling with 3 children aged 3,5,7 so it has to be child friendly. Spots to play near a river, castles and caves will also interest them, to some extend at least. Mostly nice nature, suited for walking or small hikes. Campsites with green and lots of room, an occasional swimming pool could be nice...

There are a lot of members with more experience in traveling around Slovenia and there is a member from Slovenia with great intel. However I'm happy to share a short impression about the campsites.

More Important for us was that we always felt very safe and the people were friendly and helpful in any cases! So that's the reason why we look forward to travel again to Slovenia.

We started in Kranjska Gora (great place for Mountain Biking/Downhill biking) and made our way down to the beach. We liked Kamp Sobec close to Lake Bled (Camping Bled is also nice, was crowded when we visited it in August). Kamp Sobec is next to the river and has a natural swimming pool and some places for kids to play! The facilities are okay, however the look old fashioned.
Kamp Sobec.jpeg

Next stopp was Ljubljana to visit the castle (grad) and do some shopping and sightseeing around the three bridges. I like to park somewhere close to the centre and found the parking next to the university quite good.

Poljanski nasip.jpeg

We slept close to Ljubljana and we arrived late in the afternoon - however we found a great spot and the site offers plenty of space for a Cali and a swimming pool for the kids!

Ljubljana Resort.jpeg

Then we went further to some caves and had a great tour around Predjamski grad. Maybe this cave isn't as popular as the Postojna Cave but situated underneath Predjamski grad it's a great place! Be sure you book a tour to see some bats in the cave. Important there is a steep iron ladder and a lot of steps up and down. Unfortunately we couldn't found a CP near this cave. I once travelled by tent around Slovenia and this CP was quite okay (little bit old fashioned) and directly with it own cave (However I was never with my Cali here - it seemed to have some great spots for motorhomes and Calis) and I went by bicycle to both caves (Postjona and Predjama) and it was superb.

close to Postojna Cave.jpeg

I hope I could give you some impressions and look forward to read about your experiences!

Predjamski grad.jpeg

We might go this May for a short trip
emoji106.png
We look forward to plan and start!
Thanks for this great information @sapto
I am setting off this weekend to Munich, Salzburg, then down to Ljubliana for a few days. May come back over Innsbruck, don't know yet. Are you going to go again?

Thanks for this great information @sapto
I am setting off this weekend to Munich, Salzburg, then down to Ljubliana for a few days. May come back over Innsbruck, don't know yet. Are you going to go again?

We are planning to start in this direction somewhen next week as the weather looks better after Wednesday. Or we hit the road for a Cali Meet from the 5th-8th at the Lake Garda Italy. Still unsure however I liked to eat a nice cake in Ljubljana at the Cafe Lolita!

Wave if you see a grey Cali on the road between Switzerland and Ljubljana - and I look forward to your impressions about Slovenia and Munich (where are you going to stay? CP?)

Stay safe and sound!

Excellent photos. What a beautiful place to camp.
I have been out to the area twice whitewater paddling that section of the Soca. Hope to be back next year.

Here at Kamp Vhrpolje! Great hosts, nice location: quiet, small (@the moment 2 caravans, 1 tent and our Cali) and next to some vineyards

0795b43c30180d1d5bb491b5453e6e0f.jpg

1c3319e8270f4b2b41b0413ab4faa40e.jpg

Back