Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Soon on the road! Slovenia and Croatia here we go!

sapto

sapto

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
The last few months I could read and learn a lot from this forum! Now it's time to give something back in return.

We are (my girlfriend and I) planning to travel from Switzerland (near Lake of Lucern) to Innsbruck to Slovenia and Croatia and back again. We try to manage/combine the need of sun&beach and the wish of some nice sightseeing in Slovenia (Postojna, Ljubljana).

Our Cali (not yet named) is almost ready and until our departure next week I try to fix and improve some issues (wardrobe, watertank, additional tarp/shelter on the driverside).

Pictures and some short notes about the campsites will fallow asap!

Have a great day!

sapto

Sounds like a great trip, keep us upto date with your progress.

Pre-trip paint: read a lot about exploding "electric roof machines" in German TX-board so i give it a try and painted the cover of the "machine" (sorry forgot the word in English) silver:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436348636.711542.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436348647.598679.jpg

Hope this prevent damange... any experiences?

Personal don't think paint is gonna help much , think wrapping it in reflective alu-paper is the only thing that helps a bit , but overall don't think there is not that much you can do other than cover over the pumps or make sure your Cali is in the shade when in very hot places/south-europe , always also better for rhe fridge ...and yourself

Thanks for the advice, i just bought this alu-paper to wrapp it in. And I personal prefer shade than bright sunlight - we'll see!

What is that part you are painting?

I think it's called pump cover for the roof. Mine pops up with electricity and I heard some rumors about a damaged pump because it got to hot... So I painted it and now I'm going to wrap it :) It might be too much however

Keep it simple and smart!
I tried to sort out what kind of electronical devices I would like to take with me on our trip:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436421705.335828.jpg

Personal I think this fits perfectly:

1 Canon 550D (old but relaiable)
1 Canon lens 50mm 1:18 (my fav)
1 Canon lens 28 - 135 mm 1:3.5-5.6 (maybe I leave this one at home)
1 extra Memorycard
1 spare phone
1 Powerpack (to charge phones/ipad)
1 ipad mini
Some wires

I am looking forward to following your thread as I want to do a similar trip next year in our Cali

Sounds like a great trip, keep us upto date with your progress.

yup keep us up to date.
i'm planning somewhere in this direction next year.
probably early summer late spring.

i'd be keen to hear about the campsites you use and restaurants
we'd be taking bromton bikes so any info on good cycle routes (y'know: picturesque, flat ...)

IMG_0976.JPG
So first night and stops are planned: After the stop in Innsbruck we are going to stay next to the Achensee (http://www.camping-achensee.com)and the next day we are going to drive to Kranjska Gora (Slovenia).
I have just returned from the next valley over from Kranjska Gora. Spent last week kayaking on the Soca river. Absolutely stunning area. And extremely welcoming people too.

yup keep us up to date.
i'm planning somewhere in this direction next year.
probably early summer late spring.

i'd be keen to hear about the campsites you use and restaurants
we'd be taking bromton bikes so any info on good cycle routes (y'know: picturesque, flat ...)

Yes, for sure! We're going to take some bikes with us as well!

Ready to go!

Just filled up, packed and on the way to Innsbruck along the beautiful Walensee and Voralberg (A).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436939871.176916.jpg

Unfurtunately we decided to leave our bikes at home. Although I try to find some info about good cycling routes!

Saw the "Golden Dacherl" in Innsbruck and arrived in "Achensee" a Camping with a few places for simple overnight stays (no reservation possible for these pitches) although with power and nice bathrooms and clean facilities in general.

A great playground and beach with mountain view.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436985566.071248.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436985592.599487.jpg

Pictures from the pitches will fallow.

excellent

Around Achensee there are a lot of cyclist although it is pretty hard to get here because it is a narrow and a crowded road from the highway up here. I would recommend to cycle around the lake and start Maurach to Pertisau and from there - it depends on your bike, looks like a small path - to Achenkirch.

Our place next to the big white ones:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437025641.028913.jpg

(Price: € 23.50/2Pers/1night with power and free use of all facilities)

Overview from the camping "insde" the gate (= more expensive less space)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437025838.973494.jpg

Bathcabine (superb!)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437025869.258782.jpg

It is a wonderful place however this isn't a campsite:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437082119.645501.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437082391.629152.jpg

We made a quicke stop at Kranjska Gora. Wonderful village and I had the impression full of sporty people. Walking, Hiking and Biking.

There is a Place next to the Bikepark where you can park and stay without any facilities. The next real camping is more in direction Bled.

We quick thought about sleeping "wild" or going for a hotelroom but we went on to Bled...

Soon more why we left Bled after 5Minutes...

From Kranjska Gora we drove to Bled next to a fantastic lake with a amazing island. It is high season for everybody and so was the campsite almost fully booked.

We decided to drive furtheron to Kamnik - a small town half an hour away from Bled... Anyway in the end we parked ou Cali on a pitch at the Ljubljana Resort (ljubjanaresort.si).
In fact it was a nice place - the receptionist was friendly and recommended some activities in the surrounding of Ljubljana.

The facilities were kind of old and dirty. Old isn't a problem in my opinion as long as it is well cleaned.

There were a lot of young people who liked to party all night long in the tent area.

Anyway today we are heading to Ljubljana and the cost with a stopp in Predjama Castle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437120037.774645.jpg

Cycling in Bled is def a good option even however there aren't extra paths for the cyclists.

The village Cres is pretty nice with some narrow streets to stroll amd nice spots/restaurants to enjoy a good cuppa coffee!

Yesterday sunset

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437368727.378039.jpg

Today we are going to take the ferry to Krk.

About cycling: In my opinion it is only an option in spring or autumn because it is so hit and dry at the moment. The roads aren't supporting some extra space for cyclists and in the island it is sometimes hard to cross/overtake an other car so it wouldn't be such fun to cycle here especially in high season.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437474965.344593.jpg

So where should I start... after leaving Cres we drove by ferry to Krk and as we arrived in Krk we didn't find a place which fitted for us: Too hot, fully booked. In the north we found a nice place Soline with a wonderful place. A pitty it hadn't any pitches left so we drove to back to the mainland and landed in CP Selce.
Not top but not as bad as mentioned f.e. in camping.info.
The CP is next to the sea and there are more or less flat pitches and enough bathrooms and showers.

The water is nice in the morning when less crowded.

There is quit lot of places with shade and for €24.- inkl ele. power not too expensive.

Back