Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Some pretty strange members on here....

This forum is a rather nice friendly place, you can check in and check out things and it has been really useful. Still researching, SWMBO blew my MH idea out of the water so am back here looking, lurking and learning!

Sure , but you do participate and post ....many don't , i don't mind others see what i post otherwise i would not be on a forum , but i want to learn things from others also and not just from a small group of regulars...

Search Engine "robots" indexing the pages etc.

Following this post made me think
Is there any risk to posting??
I recently posted a pic, with my number plate clearly visible.
I notice some hide the plates.
When I drive around anyone can see the number, so is there any need I haven't thaught of?
Our addresses are private arnt they?, as some do post when they are going away on holiday , when asking for advice.
What safety rules do people follow.?
Be careful when posting photos from where you live (or other sensitive locations), they may contain location data.

Woohoo! Thanks Hotel California, I'm in the top 30 of strange people:bananadance Those who know me won't be surprised.

I joined the forum because I can't search without being a member (which is entirely fair). However, I have no need to post yet (other than being stung by HC's original post) because all my questions so far have been answered by a trawl through previous threads.

We are looking to buy our first Cali so all I have is questions (some dafter than others) rather than advice and experience to offer others. I must say, tho', that the forum seems like a very friendly and helpful place to be so huge thanks for all your discussions.

Is there a Granny Jen fan club BTW?

Keep up the good work...

Cheers, Wind Witch

See....it works:thumb

As i was just today complementing some on the fact they finaly took the plunge to post and introduce theirself , just did the test again and from the 51 members only 42 visible online others are probally have opted to not show they are online...
10 with zero posts of these 42 ...damn strange imo.
Common guys let us know who you are , what you are driving , where you travelled , ... this is not a one way street ;)
Members Online Now
  1. hotel california,
  2. Seaview,
  3. gmymsx,
  4. Skewif,
  5. Andy Maher,
  6. skipp-e,
  7. motacyclist,
  8. jkyriakoudis,
  9. Glen Laishley,
  10. benArrayx,
  11. bigmac77,
  12. stjohnswell,
  13. gregspam,
  14. Freeley,
  15. snowy55,
  16. Jeanne,
  17. Silver5urfer,
  18. tim batten,
  19. AlisonF,
  20. MattBW,
  21. RedCali,
  22. calimera,
  23. Shark,
  24. Spotlight Kid,
  25. Wind Witch,
  26. levithecat,
  27. iamchucky,
  28. Gavinskii,
  29. tea&cake,
  30. Sp0_0k,
  31. Trebor,
  32. Denzilgts,
  33. Calincolnshire,
  34. CALI FATE,
  35. Dottie,
  36. rdh1,
  37. WelshGas,
  38. Gregc,
  39. Robovw,
  40. T64ME,
  41. andyandluce,
  42. aled james
Total: 171 (members: 51, guests: 80, robots: 40)
Blimey, telly must be rubbish tonight! In Belgium too? :D

Blimey, telly must be rubbish tonight! In Belgium too? :D

Is there something intresting on the telly ever...?
It's on ....wife got the remote ....she fel asleep...:D
Think i am off to bed now having it all to myself....

One observation ... new members (especially those looking to buy) maybe don't always have a lot of advice to give but often do have a lot of questions. However they are usually told to use the search rather than post repeated questions. So you can't complain that they don't post anything while also telling them not to post stuff :)

One observation ... new members (especially those looking to buy) maybe don't always have a lot of advice to give but often do have a lot of questions. However they are usually told to use the search rather than post repeated questions. So you can't complain that they don't post anything while also telling them not to post stuff :)

If joining a comunity at least an introduction is the minimum one can do beeing polite.
Good thing though the "search function":thumb

Be careful when posting photos from where you live (or other sensitive locations), they may contain location data.

Motorcyclist has a good point here. Most smart phones embed the geolocation data in the picture. See link.

http://www.howtogeek.com/211427/how...oto-was-taken-and-keep-your-location-private/

So I thought I would check some of the pics I had uploaded to the site and nothing. So either "the Forum IT people" foresaw this as an issue and remove the metadata from the file when uploaded, or I am not smart enough to turn geolocation on on my smart phone camera. :(

Anyway great paranoid thread

So either "the Forum IT people" foresaw this as an issue and remove the metadata from the file when uploaded, or I am not smart enough to turn geolocation on on my smart phone camera.

Most likely the forum software generates a standardised format and size of image from the image that you upload and then it discards the original. That would have the side-effect of creating a forum image for display with no location or other camera metadata embedded in it.

That's what I would do if I had written the software, for several reasons; it ensures that the forum software can rely on the images that it displays to be well-behaved and also it prevents nefarious or ignorant users from consuming masses of storage space and bandwidth by uploading enormous or technically dodgy images.

Most likely the forum software generates a standardised format and size of image from the image that you upload and then it discards the original. That would have the side-effect of creating a forum image for display with no location or other camera metadata embedded in it.

That's what I would do if I had written the software, for several reasons; it ensures that the forum software can rely on the images that it displays to be well-behaved and also it prevents nefarious or ignorant users from consuming masses of storage space and bandwidth by uploading enormous or technically dodgy images.
It does look like the location metadata is removed now, I've just checked one of my own. This didn't used to be the case.

You still need to be aware that if you have your photos elsewhere and post a link to them then the location data may still be present. In most cases it doesn't matter but you don't want people to know where you store your van; or your location if you are camping alone.

I think it would be fun if everyone with a strange member posted a pic on the forum - we could have a competition

You always learn something on here,, like an Ejit, today I was always putting the wedge in the folding table for the clonking to stop !!
But now I realised only thru searching on the forums that there is a proper way to clip it in correctly, mind you as said it is easy to stow it incorrectly..

Give and take.
In my book that's the rule.
Whenever I use the search function I rarely find what I want even if I know it's there!,

I think it would be fun if everyone with a strange member posted a pic on the forum - we could have a competition

A bit like a funny vegetable competition?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Give and take.
In my book that's the rule.
Whenever I use the search function I rarely find what I want even if I know it's there!,
It is easier to search using Google

Search Term site:vwcaliforniaclub.com

new members .................... often do have a lot of questions. However they are usually told to use the search rather than post repeated questions. So you can't complain that they don't post anything while also telling them not to post stuff :)

I've had it pointed out to me that there's already a thread about the question I've asked - I didn't take that as being told not to post, I thought it was just someone being helpful!

I've belonged to a number of forums over the years, and there are always 'lurkers' who read but don't post, and people who register but never come back - and there are those like me who actually DON'T post for the sake of it, it's just that I'm the same on a forum as in real life (not true of everone) - and I always have a lot to say! :thumb

Have to add that this forum is so huuuuge I'm pretty well sticking to the 'Beginners' bit for now!

When ever I look at members online It always shows as over 80% of people viewing the forum are guests ( I assume this means they are not registered members?) , so it looks like the actual people that post on this website are in a small minority, the rest are just lurkers getting free information anf then going.

Some of them have probably just not logged on so would show as guests

Mike

Back