Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solution for bellows getting damaged - Bellows Bungee

Re: Solution for bellows getting stuck in the scissor mechan

We used ours this weekend and I cant understand why VW did not think of this when designing the roof :?: Our roof went up and down several times and it pulled the canvas in with ease without the need to have people on look out for me.

Thanks Kim, that is reassuring. Yes, I agree, why haven't VW thought of this?

Mounted mine on Sunday......aaaaaaannnnnnnndddd :thanks worked perfect!
VW should insert a rubber stripe in the canvas :doh

used our bungee this weekend while bringing the roof down in the rain, we did not even need to step out the van whilst the roof was coming down. Whoever makes these should try and sell them in to VW as it obviously works!

Used the Bungee several times this last week in the Peak District. It worked perfectly. Only downside is the sliding door in the roof now constantly slides open as we motor along. This didn't happen before fitting the Bungee. Has anyone else found the same?

Nope

But using the bungee also helps the canvas fold down nicely in order to save time tucking it up in order to slide the access hatch closed

Me neither, I have also found we no longer need to tuck the canvas into the roof hatch as it is nicely folded ready to slide the door across.

Sorry BerndRos, you beat me to it :oops:

Very clever :clap :clap put me down for one please , I can imagine this will eliminate having to have someone stand outside?

Just ordered mine & hope it arrives before I leave the Cali at the garage, where they will be opening the roof to fix a gutter problem...

Has anybody dared to try the real acid test for this bungee - close the roof with all windows & doors shut?
Obviously we are not about to do that ourselves to our Cali, but I am always worried in case anybody else might - like a new apprentice at the garage, maybe!

I can just imagine trying to convince them that chopped bellows were their fault, not mine...

Yes we tried it with windows & doors closed When we tested it a little bit scary but it did work the bellows pushed out in the middle but it still avoided the scissors

Ordered Friday, received this morning (in France).

Fitted (single-handed) this afternoon.
Seems OK.

Happy customer! :D

Thanks Kev!

Glad to hear that :thumb surprising how thing can take longer to deliver in this country than sending abroad :thumb

Recieved my bellows bungee (plus other bits and bobs) today, collect the Cali Beach on saturday :thumb

:help Help please, have already twanged husband with bungee. I tied 2 knots side by side, fed around roof then the cord into teeth and knot was snuggly in hole then it pinged. He's ok :lol:
Any advice on how to secure it properly for our 1st night in camper would be great?

You don't need to tie any knots Looby it grips itself. Here is a picture

image.jpg

Calikev said:
You don't need to tie any knots Looby it grips itself. Here is a picture

Thanks Kev, got it now (ok, David says to tell you he got it) I was feeding the cord into the teeth from the wrong side so they weren't doing what they were supposed to :laugh2

Ok I give in.
Where on this site is this "shop" where I can buy the bungee cord?

Nice to meet everybody. first time for me here.
this is a simple and brilliant solution I see.
what about for people like me less brilliant that got both bellow and rubber stripe damaged? :headbang
what's in your opinion best solution to repair it? thanks to everybody
Max

IMG_7590.JPG

Hi I had very similar damage to mine when I bought it just on the rib section it hadn't gone
All the way through so I just put a few stitches in which a similar colour thread.I since have bought a bellows bungee and although I still check every time it seems to work well by pulling the bellows away from the scissors.