Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solution for bellows getting damaged - Bellows Bungee

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have currently been testing a very simple device to stop the bellows getting stuck in the scissor mechanism when operating the roof.

Using this in various conditions it has worked for us every time pulling the bellows inwards all the way round whilst lowering the roof.

Like I say it is very simple and works every time and can be left in place with the roof down.

Video Clip

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JwP30xRS7E[/youtube]

solution.jpg

Re: Solution for bellows getting stuck in the scissor mechan

Simple but ingenious :clap

I defo got to have one of these

What's the procedure ?

They will be available in our shop real soon :thumb

Very clever :clap :clap put me down for one please , I can imagine this will eliminate having to have someone stand outside?

I have stood and watched it several times and it worked everytime :thumb I would still watch it out of habit :thumb

A couple of queries: has the roof design changed at all? Will a new Cali be just as vulnerable as older models?
Will the contact of the elastic cord with the bellows material possibly cause wicking of moisture in rain- thinking here of how anything touching a tent can cause wicking although more usually anything touching on the inside rather than the outside.

As far as I know no modification has been made to the new Cali's that are currently available (please correct me if I am wrong)

As for damaging the canvas, all i can say is this has been in use in Germany for a good few months now with no reported problems, we personally have not tested it long term yet but it can easily be removed if you prefer not to leave in in place with the roof down.

I wasn't really thinking of it damaging the canvas, only that it might allow water to wick through where it touches...probably not an issue...

That's what the Cali topper is for. if you touch the canvas whilst its wet from the inside it will seep through the elastic should make no difference :thumb

Looks Good to me :D

Looks Good to me :D
what is the planned cost

Not too sure yet as they are made in germany
But it wont break the bank :thumb

Great idea :clap :clap too late for us though as we have torn ours already back last summer :headbang

We will order one when available though as this looks like it will protect the canvas all the way round? where the other one that died a death only tucked it in at the sides.

got the same thing on mine,but black bungee cord ;) :thumb

I wish someone, perhaps me, could tell me why I don't like it :oops:

It seems so simple, such an easy solution, but somehow the thought of an extra "girdle" around a popping up roof ....

Obviously designed by a man. No woman would design such a stringent corset to fit around an inflating waist..

but somehow it comes over as unnaturally restrictive.

What's wrong with popping out of the cab a couple of times as the roof lowers to check on progress?

Most people will still pop out and look but unexpected wind can cause problems and as VW are now saying that its user error when it gets caught in the canvas probably a good precaution :thumb

Nice work, well done guys. We suggested this simple method to VW, and they just wouldn't entertain it.

So simple and so effective :thumb

Evening

We've a New Beach and there are two strips stiched on the inside of the roof to help the sides fold in when closing.... :D

Dont no if this is new or it's normal and people still have trouble...

Cheers

Shaun

Can see where your coming from there Jen, but for me it's peace of mind for when one of my boys are using the van.
Also imagine if your wild camping and maybe the the roof is up and for what ever reason you feel you should move on rather quickly :eek:

that gadget could really come in handy and save a disaster (always been over cautious)

I see no downside to using this.

When will these be available please? I am off to Italy in late March and would of liked to take one with me.

Good idea btw

Alan said:
Can see where your coming from there Jen, but for me it's peace of mind for when one of my boys are using the van.
Also imagine if your wild camping and maybe the the roof is up and for what ever reason you feel you should move on rather quickly :eek:

that gadget could really come in handy and save a disaster (always been over cautious)

Alan,

Yes, I can see that.

It seems that despite all my reservations that I will be adding one to my "must have" list.

Caddies said:
When will these be available please? I am off to Italy in late March and would of liked to take one with me.

Good idea btw

Hopefully these will be available by the end of next week, as for price we are hoping around the £14 mark.

For that sort of money it's worth it.
However,----- I always stick my head up through the slide until the last moment as the roof comes down.
My mistake when lowering the roof on my first Cali was to walk round checking ,but owing to the awning blocking my view, missed the canvas that was trapped in the scissor mechanism :headbang

This looks a great idea!

We bought out cali beach in Jan 14 and it has a stiffened fabric stitched down the side windows, meaning you have to unzip the windows in 2 moves.

Is this a new addition by VW?