Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solution for bellows getting damaged - Bellows Bungee

Re: Solution for bellows getting stuck in the scissor mechan

bournemouthbeach said:
This looks a great idea!

We bought out cali beach in Jan 14 and it has a stiffened fabric stitched down the side windows, meaning you have to unzip the windows in 2 moves.

Is this a new addition by VW?

No not new. They all have these & can still get cought in lift mechanism in wind.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

GrannyJen said:
I wish someone, perhaps me, could tell me why I don't like it :oops:

It seems so simple, such an easy solution, but somehow the thought of an extra "girdle" around a popping up roof ....

Obviously designed by a man. No woman would design such a stringent corset to fit around an inflating waist..

but somehow it comes over as unnaturally restrictive.

What's wrong with popping out of the cab a couple of times as the roof lowers to check on progress?
Agree with jen.
John

Thanks Martin just ordered one

Thanks Martin, one ordered for my van.

I have ordered mine,

first time that I have ordered a girdle off a bloke :idea:

Ordered... :thanks

Shaun

Done and dusted... :thanks

Alan

Arrived today many thanks Martin.

Any simple advise re fitting ie now tight to pull it , is it best fix the end from the top or bottom of the toggle it may be simple once I have roof up but a bit wet at tis time again. :thanks

The best way I found of fitting it was to get a helper :thumb tie the quick lock end to the bike rack if you have one then walk round the drivers side making sure you go behind the scissor mechanism
Then stand on the drivers door step and pull once you have enough slack throw it to your willing helper the other side the repeat putting the bungee behind the scissors then join at the back
And adjust as necessary :thumb it is easy believe me

THANKS sound simple enough, without a bike rack will have to get the other half to hold

Ordered mine last Thursday, arrived today. Great service, thanks. :thanks
Refards
18hunts

Mine arrived today too, just need a vehicle to put it on now.
Many thanks :thumb

Looby said:
Mine arrived today too, just need a vehicle to put it on now.
Many thanks :thumb

Well that's a good start :laugh2

Damn, now out of stock :headbang

Should be back by the weekend :thumb

Just fitted ours, works a treat and folds the bellows neatly over the cab area which is a bonus rather than having it all bundled up and needing sorting out.

When we hired a few weeks ago we used two bits of string tied to zip eyes of the topper windows (like a T). At the cross section a small bit of string to pull down on,simples. I think it prob works better with 3 windows as ours had. It pulled the fabric in nice and gentle like....good solution on windy days and when lowering alone.

Press button with one hand,slowly add tension on other...da dahhh. Rather like the hold you would have on a wee cup of tea when drinking dainty and posh. :smile

Other methods include... massive in breath and lower/repeat :laugh2

briwy said:
Just fitted ours, works a treat and folds the bellows neatly over the cab area which is a bonus rather than having it all bundled up and needing sorting out.

Glad you like this great device :thumb

Hooray, ordered and now hoping it will arrive before we go on our first adventure on the 16th. Great site for updating on availability. :thanks

What size bungee cord is used?
rob

Just wondering if there was any intention to produce one of these in black or dark grey? I think it would look loads smarter.

The reason they went for a light colour is so you can clearly see that it is in place on the bellows, the bungee is actually quite thin and can only really be seen if you are looking for it.

Using a step ladder I have just put on my bungey cord. Managed to avoid being hit in the mouth by tieing it to the rear door hinge ( no bike rack) and then to the scissor mechanism as I went round. I have place it along they line of the folds in the stiff supports in the material and it folded a treat. It has actually made it fold properly over the drivers seat so it doesn't fall out all over you before you shut the little sliding ceiling. Very good so far. Have to see how it does in use.
It reminds me of the system used by Eriba for their pop top caravans and they are brilliant.