Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solution for bellows getting damaged - Bellows Bungee

shaker7 said:
Nice to meet everybody. first time for me here.
this is a simple and brilliant solution I see.
what about for people like me less brilliant that got both bellow and rubber stripe damaged? :headbang
what's in your opinion best solution to repair it? thanks to everybody
Max

Hi Max, I'm no expert on Cali things as illustrated above when I couldn't even get the bungee fitting right. However, I'm a bit better at the domestic sewing side of things.
For years, Scout and Guide canvas tents were mended with patches of canvas till they just about resembled a patchwork. When the canvas gets wet, any needle and thread holes tighten up again. If I were you I would search for a traditional tent/sail repairer for a matching piece of canvas and use with strong thread. Curved needles are also available which would save trying to pass a needle back and forth to someone on the inside of the bellows. I think a repair would barely be noticed once the bungee was in place.
Others may have better ideas.

I agree with you, but what it is scaring me is the rib section. not sure if putting an horizontal sticker to cover the damage should create problems for the bellow refolding (would be crossing)..
unfortunately the scissors cut also the rubber piece..

Regretably I have just encountered a similar issue. Can I ask what you settled on as the best solution as I now need to tread the same path!
thanks Jonnie

This is a must for every owner.
Its simple and works. It might not look great but its worth it just to know it will always pull the canvas in.

Hi,

I have acquired the bungee which I am sure is a sensible precaution going forward but am still seeking a professional solution to the 3/4 inch cut sustained. The only solution offerred by the dealers even Southern Motor Group is a new bellows which just seems a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Surely there is some enterprising outfit that go a bit further and have devised a repair? If not there must be a good opportunity for someone to do so and post their service on the forum. Any contacts ?

I stitched the hole using thread then put a canvas patch on the inside, left the top of the patch unstiched to see wether it would be a handy pocket. Handy enough that I've now done the same on the undamaged side.
Over a year later the repair is still holding up and cannot see the tear getting any bigger.
Somewhere on here posters have mentioned "tear aid" I've not tried it but seems to stick to all things fabric and it's waterproof.
Try and sow your tear, stick tear aid onto the inside of the canvas and then patch over the tear aid. Hopefully a permanent and cheap repair, I can only imagine a new canvas costing a fortune.

Many thanks for sharing your solution. I will look in to tearaid

Limited Effectiveness of Bellows Bungee.
Based on our experience with the Bellows Bungee I recommend a note of caution regarding its effectiveness. The Bellows Bungee is certainly an improvement but by no means a total solution to avoiding the risk of the bellows popping out whilst closing the roof. With the Bellows Bungee now permanently in place on our Cali, twice this year in strong windy conditions we have had the bellows pop out during the roof closing procedure.
So my advice is certainly get the Bellows Bungee but don't rely on it as a complete fix. You must still remain ultra-vigilant all through the roof closing process. Check & re-check whilst the roof is closing, especially in windy conditions.

mike&agnes said:
Limited Effectiveness of Bellows Bungee.
Based on our experience with the Bellows Bungee I recommend a note of caution regarding its effectiveness. The Bellows Bungee is certainly an improvement but by no means a total solution to avoiding the risk of the bellows popping out whilst closing the roof. With the Bellows Bungee now permanently in place on our Cali, twice this year in strong windy conditions we have had the bellows pop out during the roof closing procedure.
So my advice is certainly get the Bellows Bungee but don't rely on it as a complete fix. You must still remain ultra-vigilant all through the roof closing process. Check & re-check whilst the roof is closing, especially in windy conditions.

Absolutely agree - I speak from experience, never get complacent, always check before closing, ALWAYS, bungee or not