Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Small sliding window blind above fridge replacement

marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All
Has anyone attempted retrofitting the small sliding window blind from the T6 which includes storage trays into a T5?
you can buy them separately so assume replacement is possible, but I can’t see an obvious way to get the old one out (without breaking it) and new one in?

yes you can and its very easy to do

• Informative
Reactions: Sad
Hi All
Has anyone attempted retrofitting the small sliding window blind from the T6 which includes storage trays into a T5?
you can buy them separately so assume replacement is possible, but I can’t see an obvious way to get the old one out (without breaking it) and new one in?
I think you remove it from within the wardrobe.

I think you remove it from within the wardrobe.
Yes remove from inside the wardrobe.

Remove the plastic panel that covers the space between bottom 'safe' area and the blind. The blind will then fall out for you.

The plastic panel is held in place with a couple of plastic rivet things. Use a trim removal tool to lever the central pin out. If careful you can do it with a small screwdriver too.

Yes remove from inside the wardrobe.

Remove the plastic panel that covers the space between bottom 'safe' area and the blind. The blind will then fall out for you.

The plastic panel is held in place with a couple of plastic rivet things. Use a trim removal tool to lever the central pin out. If careful you can do it with a small screwdriver too.
When I took mine out I didn’t need to remove that panel. Just removed a rubber end stop, slid the blind all the way back into the wardrobe, liftEd it so that it clearEd the bottom track and it dropped down in the wardrobe.

Hi, as @ArunAlec says you don’t need to remove the lower panel - I just slid my blind all the way to the rear and with a little bend it popped out, and went back in again fine. I only removed mine to spray paint the outside black so now it blends in perfectly with the factory tint windows when seen from outside. For the blind storage i have found this solution to be much greater capacity than the replacement blind with the shallow pockets. The only thing I have had to do is drill some small holes and stitch some string through the Velcro in the rear of the plastic containers as the glue softened when the van was in 40deg. That seems to have done the trick.

4D29AD9A-46AD-4B5D-A402-704FA9B86BC0.jpeg

The compartments in the sliding blind are certainly tiny. If anyone is choosing to replace their blind with the new one and has only ever seen a photo of it you may be shocked at how small they are. Of course........every little space is useful, but they are more ‘hmmmm what will fit in there?’ rather than ‘now what would be handy to have stored in that location’.

Hi, as @ArunAlec says you don’t need to remove the lower panel - I just slid my blind all the way to the rear and with a little bend it popped out, and went back in again fine. I only removed mine to spray paint the outside black so now it blends in perfectly with the factory tint windows when seen from outside. For the blind storage i have found this solution to be much greater capacity than the replacement blind with the shallow pockets. The only thing I have had to do is drill some small holes and stitch some string through the Velcro in the rear of the plastic containers as the glue softened when the van was in 40deg. That seems to have done the trick.

4D29AD9A-46AD-4B5D-A402-704FA9B86BC0.jpeg
These look good. Did you buy the pockets from IKEA?

Hi @Alan Andrews, for once I managed to avoid Ikea and found some spare plastic containers at the back of the kitchen cupboards - the kind that never actually get used because the lids don’t fit very well.
chopped the top rim off a medium and a small container. Sanded the centre of each of the containers to improve adhesion as they are a very waxy plastic and stuck the highest adhesion Velcro available down the middle of the blind panel and a piece on the back of each container.
Due to the angle of the fridge lid the smaller container goes at the bottom and the height is infinitely variable. Hope that helps

Hi @Alan Andrews, for once I managed to avoid Ikea and found some spare plastic containers at the back of the kitchen cupboards - the kind that never actually get used because the lids don’t fit very well.
chopped the top rim off a medium and a small container. Sanded the centre of each of the containers to improve adhesion as they are a very waxy plastic and stuck the highest adhesion Velcro available down the middle of the blind panel and a piece on the back of each container.
Due to the angle of the fridge lid the smaller container goes at the bottom and the height is infinitely variable. Hope that helps
Very inventive. I will look to see what is available and look to repeat your idea.

On our van that blind is always out covering the small window, so might as well be more useful storage.

This is my DIY version... I used some window film to blackout the window.496F141B-A542-4446-B1C4-6D81684F9EAF.jpeg

Another vote for sliding the existing one upwards and giving it a bend so you can pop the bottom out. It will then just drop out into the cupboard. Reverse the procedure to fit the new one.

If you find the pockets are too small to be useful then you can always have some fun modifying them to do something else...
IMG_0282.JPG

Back