Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spice Rack Window Blind

gbobthomas

gbobthomas

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi everyone, what do people use their sliding window blind to store in the T6 Ocean - the one above the fridge? I have a feeling they have become standard issue relatively recently. To me it looks like a minature spice rack...though I have yet to find any bottles small enough that fit in it!

AB4940D3-8CD2-4287-862C-BA59A361819E.jpeg

FB15CB59-1044-43A3-B23E-122C40D78357.jpeg

I was looking to make something similar for my 2016 Ocean which has the previous “recess with no discernible use” but then tried sacrificing a couple of surplus plastic kitchen jars and using a strip of strong Velcro. It seems to be a solution, and the lid of the fridge opens fine. Will see if it lasts ok...

We use ours for first aid: sticking plasters, pain killers, sea sick tablets, motillium, Imodium etc things you might (hopefully not!) need in a hurry!
And a couple of those sick bags ‘borrowed’ from the ferry! Just in case

We have always found the one from Brandrup very good. The pockets are flexible so they take assorted sizes of spices, etc. The tops are a Velcro fixing and hold the contents very securely with no rattling. The whole assembly fits to the window with double sided Velcro tape so can be easily removed. We never opened the 'curtain' anyway so didn't miss the extra light and nothing has ever fallen out of them. They are available in the shop with the VIP discount. Called Brandrup Utility for the small kitchen window under Storage Solutions.
1567175289178.png

We have always found the one from Brandrup very good. The pockets are flexible so they take assorted sizes of spices, etc. The tops are a Velcro fixing and hold the contents very securely with no rattling. The whole assembly fits to the window with double sided Velcro tape so can be easily removed. We never opened the 'curtain' anyway so didn't miss the extra light and nothing has ever fallen out of them. They are available in the shop with the VIP discount. Called Brandrup Utility for the small kitchen window under Storage Solutions.
View attachment 49580
We have one of these as well, and it's great - practical and neat - perfect. Spices/ salt/ pepper in the lower one, and torches, packs of cards in the top one - all easy to get to. It's quite expensive but worth it.

View attachment 49580
When we got the new van with the spice rack fitted. I took the Brandrup out and put it in the boot under the cupboard door in the wasted space.

Nice idea @haydnw2 .
Can you block the holes for sleeping...?

Can you block the holes for sleeping...?
No, but we only got the van a couple of days before lockdown so it's not been a problem yet! :headbang :D The panels are frosted so no-one can see in, and I'm just hoping that it won't be too bright in the morning.

If you can work with better tolerances than me then it might be possible to just swap the discs out each evening, but my practical skills don't extend that far.

No, but we only got the van a couple of days before lockdown so it's not been a problem yet! :headbang :D The panels are frosted so no-one can see in, and I'm just hoping that it won't be too bright in the morning.

If you can work with better tolerances than me then it might be possible to just swap the discs out each evening, but my practical skills don't extend that far.
How did you do that ??

How did you do that ??
Standard utility blind from the club shop, and an 80mm drill bit. Then some 80mm perspex discs, and a friction fit into the holes. If the holes are marginally too large then some careful application of superglue around the outside of the disc, left to dry, is enough to then make the friction fit again. I would advise against trying to glue them into place, because it's a bit fiddly, and any overspill of glue is very obvious on the discs.

I also applied black sticky tape to the back of the blind, purely for cosmetic reasons when viewing the van from the outside.

Standard utility blind from the club shop, and an 80mm drill bit. Then some 80mm perspex discs, and a friction fit into the holes. If the holes are marginally too large then some careful application of superglue around the outside of the disc, left to dry, is enough to then make the friction fit again. I would advise against trying to glue them into place, because it's a bit fiddly, and any overspill of glue is very obvious on the discs.

I also applied black sticky tape to the back of the blind, purely for cosmetic reasons when viewing the van from the outside.
Thanks, what about the plants, presume they are fake

Thanks, what about the plants, presume they are fake
How dare you! :D No, they're air plants so very low maintenance. I haven't tried leaving them in the van for any length of time yet, but in the house they just need a spray with a mister one a week, or twice if it's particularly hot. They don't have any roots, so are just sat in the storage pockets of the utility blind - there's no soil or anything in there. A couple of the shorter ones have a cardboard base to bring them up to visible height, otherwise they disappear into the pocket!

Back