Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slight knocking from front wheels/suspension

James H

James H

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
When traveling over a ramp/hump I usually hear a clunk sound particularly at low speed, I may be over sensitive with sounds but my dealer (South Hereford) did check last week and ascertained the noise. I was advised that I should just monitor as their check didn't reveal anything untoward and they didn't want to start dismantling and most important of all was safe to drive. The service manager said he did have another recent customer who had the same issue.I understand the knock on hard lock is a well known matter on T5's though I haven't experienced it. I was wondering if any other owner had had a similar issue ? It is a relatively minor matter (at the moment!) and my 4,000 mile June 14 180 DSG is always a joy to drive.

Hi James

We had exactly the same on ours, it would only happen at low speed. it ended up being the suspension mount bearing, also had new CV joint fitted aswell.

It will only get worse so I would get it sorted if I was you, especially if you are within warranty.

Thank you Martin that is certainly helpful. I will monitor and in due course will be requesting this to be carried out under warranty. Like oil leaks they only get worse.

We had a new steering column fitted at about 19k miles; very common T5.1 issue.

Yes thanks I've read that elsewhere - I will monitor it for the time being.

Looking at your avatar picture inspires me to continue walking along the South West Coast Path, I've been camping along the way with my old Welsh Collie Flossie and we have loved it having reached Porthcurno so far.

James H said:
Yes thanks I've read that elsewhere - I will monitor it for the time being.

Looking at your avatar picture inspires me to continue walking along the South West Coast Path, I've been camping along the way with my old Welsh Collie Flossie and we have loved it having reached Porthcurno so far.

I love that area! Amazing beaches. We're lucky to have the SW coast path down here; I've run a fair bit of it and am always amazed at how varied and pretty it is (and I'm always completely knackered - it's quite hilly in parts isn't it?!)

My pic is actually Blue Hills beach almost next to St Agnes - it's a bit tight with a van but worth the effort and never busy.

I love the area too - the narrow lanes don't put me off as we have them here in rural Somerset. I stayed at Treen overflow campsite car park. The next 2 day section I hope to walk to Porthleven. Hilly YES ! you must be fit to run it as it's hard enough walking up those hills ! I have passed so many lovely coves and areas like your spot that it really has made me appreciate the beauty and variety of our wonderful coastline. Having previously been a tent camper I'm really enjoying the new found luxury of the Cali camping lifestyle :thumb

James H said:
you must be fit to run it as it's hard enough walking up those hills !

He is an iron man, surely you knew this? :eek:

James H said:
I love the area too - the narrow lanes don't put me off as we have them here in rural Somerset. I stayed at Treen overflow campsite car park. The next 2 day section I hope to walk to Porthleven. Hilly YES ! you must be fit to run it as it's hard enough walking up those hills ! I have passed so many lovely coves and areas like your spot that it really has made me appreciate the beauty and variety of our wonderful coastline. Having previously been a tent camper I'm really enjoying the new found luxury of the Cali camping lifestyle :thumb

Treen is lovely; did you find the semi secret beach below? Stunning!
Portleven's nice too with a very famous wave on big swells; pretty intimidating though.

Shout if you need any pointers, help, whatever; I know the coast here pretty well. Still my favourite stretch in the World (South NZ comes close as does West Scotland)!

Same here me and the other half love the coast path especially Porthcurno round to St Ives. We stayed at beacon cottage farm campsite back in the summer, the walk from St. Agnes to Portreath was awesome!

Freeley said:
Same here me and the other half love the coast path especially Porthcurno round to St Ives. We stayed at beacon cottage farm campsite back in the summer, the walk from St. Agnes to Portreath was awesome!

Another running favourite; but really hard work!

Treen is lovely; did you find the semi secret beach below? Stunning!
Portleven's nice too with a very famous wave on big swells; pretty intimidating though.

Shout if you need any pointers, help, whatever; I know the coast here pretty well. Still my favourite stretch in the World (South NZ comes close as does West Scotland)!

That's the nudist beach !

Thanks for the offer - I may well be in touch re. the original post but I've enjoyed the digression all the same !

KernowLad said:
Freeley said:

Another running favourite; but really hard work!
Just thinking about that holiday makes me yearn to go back - the coast path around St Agnes is something else thanks to the quarries, it really does have a character all of it's own.
My running days are behind me sadly since having my cartilage whipped out!

Ouch! Did it disintegrate?

I used to regularly do Porthtowan to St Agnes and back; eight miles of stunning views but the absolute killer hill going back through Chapel Porth; a proper lung buster!

Currently in Sandbanks; nice run up the beach earlier but no hills.

Back on topic; this does sound just like our issue and it took three goes to identify it. Be persistent!

Tore it playing football about 4 years ago. Don't understand how sportsmen can have them trimmed/removed and go back to playing again as my knee has been a menace ever since.
I suppose they don't have NHS surgeons!
Harry Redknapp has got a nice posh place on the water's edge, it's very close to the Sandbanks-Shell Bay ferry crossing

No, the footballers have exactly the same problems, but a slightly bigger wage package for a limited working life makes it worthwhile, and often exist on painkillers.

Hi James

We had exactly the same on ours, it would only happen at low speed. it ended up being the suspension mount bearing, also had new CV joint fitted aswell.

It will only get worse so I would get it sorted if I was you, especially if you are within warranty.

I asked for it to be looked at by Carrs ( Exeter ) whilst in for its first service. The service manager, Peter Sowden, said the sound is just the rebound and nothing to be concerned about. I did hear it ( to a slightly lesser extent ) on the T6 loan vehicle they provided.
(Martin, he did ask me "how is Mr F ?" and that he was impressed by your extensive Cali knowledge !)
Regards
James.

Hi James, Peter is a good bloke, always looks after our members if you mention the club :thumb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back