Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rusting Roof Bolts

Bazz Bash

Bazz Bash

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I don't post very often but I just wanted to find out if anyone has got this problem.

My van is a 2016 Ocean and has just been in for the roof recall and I'm waiting on a response. After looking I saw that three of the bolts holding the lifting mechanism to have surface rust. I wrote to customer services with pictures and they returned saying that "it didn't effect performance" so it wouldn't be covered on warranty.

Has anyone seen this issue? Has your local VW garage sorted it?

Thanks for any help.IMAG0375.jpgIMAG0377.jpgIMAG0376.jpg

@Bazz Bash , you say you don't post much , no prob you don't need to .
But you Q has been asked a few times before on the forum so i suggest more reading ;)
Anyway , mine are rusted to , no worry's seems you got a genuine California .

I'd be temped to swap them out for some stainless cap screws

Mine have been like this for years, did think about exchanging for SS but more important things to worry about

I have already put on some new original ones. They are good now for another 5 years left. (Changed them about 2 years ago).

Agree with use of ACF50 spray, seems to keep corrosion at bay. Mine have been nominally rusted a little bit over the course of the van's six year life, but not to the extent that they need replacement.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I'll let you know if I get anything from VW customer service.

Stainless isn't as strong so I'd be wary of doing that. It's only a bit of surface rust so why worry.
That doesn't matter here. This is only for keeping a cover in place. Not for holding the clamp.

Could this be used for / to prevent roof corrosion?

When our roof was repaired the heads of these bolts were filled with a little grease by the body shop. Works a treat.

Alan

And then you have not seen my exhaust silencer yet!! :Nailbiting

Mine have been like this for years, did think about exchanging for SS but more important things to worry about
I had nothing to worry about today so i changed the 2 screws on the ram covers. :thumb
5 x 12mm.44439

Mine is six years old now and I could see there was going to be a problem from day one so I used WaxOil on everything that will rust and so far so good.
Watch the rivots on roof too, they rust and they hold your roof rails!

Could this be used for / to prevent roof corrosion?

Maybe, I've tried a little and seems to penetrate well behind the edge seal on my 2016 van, was ok on the roof recall check, expensive stuff but don't need much. Even if it slows it a bit...

Update. After two emails from VW customer care, I was fobbed off with its caused by "external influences". Yes taking your California out camping in the rain is not advised as bits rust. Not covered by warranty according to VW CC. Strange as even though it's only a few of them, all are subject to that rare UK occurrence of rain at the same time.

Fortunately this week Portsmouth Breeze have taken pity on me. These are stretch bolts so they have ordered up new ones to be replaced. Well done chaps.

Now the question is, do I bother paying for extended warranty?

imo. only painted bodyparts are covered with warrenty against rust.
The replacement bolts will again rust , some Cali's have rusted bolts on the roofmechanism when arriving in the showroom .
Try not to worry much , life is to short....

Back