Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof line recall

P

Patrick Lima

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi, My 2015 Beach (115,000km) has been on the recall in 2019. After removing the driver side marquise railing from noticing a few paint bubbles, this is what i saw. Catastrophic non repairable rust clearly due to very very poor recall repair! I wrote to customer service and they are ping ponging me to all sorts of places without taking this seriously at once with regards to the disastrous results after apparent repair. I’m still waiting for positive acknowledgement, before I send a lawyer letter. My question to anyone is, has anyone been in contact with a physical person in Hannover with the recall request as I feel that i am lost in the large world of bureaucratic confusion as no one really read my letter with supporting pictures. Also, anyone buying a T5 or 6 where the seller confirms that their car was at the recall repair, be very careful! Make sure that there are no signs of rust around the railings etc. As you can see with my pictures, the recall repair does not confirm that your van will be problem free. In conclusion, NO CARS RUST ON THE ROOF LINE EVER, and if it does, it usually has to do with the changing of the windshield for example. Big fail at VW on this and I sure hope they will take responsibility for this fiasco. Thanks Pat.

25DA9ABF-4FB8-44BD-958E-959D15B2B684.jpeg

860CDB62-64D9-4C87-BCF5-29B7EC3515A0.jpeg

E39FCC9B-FFB1-4522-9B89-18C704D1CEEF.jpeg

I have to say this is the worst case of actual “Rusting” I have seen on any vehicle since the 1960s-70s when untreated steel was used to manufacture vehicles.
This looks like it has been caused by a reaction of the Sealer/adhesive used to stick the mouldings to the front pillar.
You would think that at £40.74 + vat a tube for the adhesive it would be up to scratch. (That’s what I paid when having repair work done on the front panel of the roof to stick the new mouldings on.
It wouldn’t surprise me that there wasn’t actually penetration of the metal as it’s so badly corroded.
If that were the case then this would activate VW 12 year warranty on rust penetration.
How VW can justify not accepting this as a warranty claim even though the vehicle is 8 years old is beyond me.
I would say you have a very very strong case.

I have to say this is the worst case of actual “Rusting” I have seen on any vehicle since the 1960s-70s when untreated steel was used to manufacture vehicles.
This looks like it has been caused by a reaction of the Sealer/adhesive used to stick the mouldings to the front pillar.
You would think that at £40.74 + vat a tube for the adhesive it would be up to scratch. (That’s what I paid when having repair work done on the front panel of the roof to stick the new mouldings on.
It wouldn’t surprise me that there wasn’t actually penetration of the metal as it’s so badly corroded.
If that were the case then this would activate VW 12 year warranty on rust penetration.
How VW can justify not accepting this as a warranty claim even though the vehicle is 8 years old is beyond me.
I would say you have a very very strong case.
Thanks ozzy for the support. I know this is major; VW have not yet refused, they are just too slow. There probably is a 12 year rust penetration warranty but what is more incredible, is that this is direct results from the recall repair done in 2019. The warranty should come from that as the recall worsened the deterioration. And the embarrassing fact is, the whole side panel has to be changed by plasma cutting it on the roof edge, because that is all one piece. Basically its a rebuild of half the car! Trust me, I am not letting that pass. This week i will write again and am considering to drive to Hannover plant to attempt to make my case heard and seen. I know that this is ambitious though…..

Wow, this is not what you’d expect in a 2015 Cali. Fortunately for you and VW it must be a very special case. VW shouldn’t bother digging deep in the legal wording. Just fix it!!

Thanks ozzy for the support. I know this is major; VW have not yet refused, they are just too slow. There probably is a 12 year rust penetration warranty but what is more incredible, is that this is direct results from the recall repair done in 2019. The warranty should come from that as the recall worsened the deterioration. And the embarrassing fact is, the whole side panel has to be changed by plasma cutting it on the roof edge, because that is all one piece. Basically its a rebuild of half the car! Trust me, I am not letting that pass. This week i will write again and am considering to drive to Hannover plant to attempt to make my case heard and seen. I know that this is ambitious though…..
Who was it that did the original repair?
It looks like you had the front panel above the screen capped is that correct?
If that’s correct you could also have a case against the repair shop that did the work.
I’m not sure how the law stands in the Czech Republic you may have more or less consumer rights than here in the UK.
But whatever it is the work done has been to the most appalling standard I have ever seen and I did my apprenticeship in motor body repair and I’ve seen everything.

Wow, this is not what you’d expect in a 2015 Cali. Fortunately for you and VW it must be a very special case. VW shouldn’t bother digging deep in the legal wording. Just fix it!!
Yep! Thanks

Who was it that did the original repair?
It looks like you had the front panel above the screen capped is that correct?
If that’s correct you could also have a case against the repair shop that did the work.
I’m not sure how the law stands in the Czech Republic you may have more or less consumer rights than here in the UK.
But whatever it is the work done has been to the most appalling standard I have ever seen and I did my apprenticeship in motor body repair and I’ve seen everything.
The repair was done at the Limmer plant, where those calis are built! That is what is extraordinary!

This is how she looks; in perfect condition (otherwise) even zero rust on the undercarriage. A perfect van badly assembled in the first place….
5910C74B-0406-41BC-955F-4491CAFB6B15.jpeg

It looks like a 'domestic' type silicone kitchen sealant may have been used on this vehicle, we had a similar issue when a leaking front windscreen seal was replaced on our 1600i Mexico Beetle. The domestic sealant eventually 'eats' metal leading to bubbling, re-treatment & repair.

It looks like they have used the wrong adhesive / sealant for the the multirail & multirail end cap, and it had just rotted from underneath. Damage is incredible in such a short space of time. I have fitted multi rails to older vans (drill holes, apply rust treatment by screw holes, screw in to bodywork + silkaflex adhesive underneath. But Cali is just glued), but I have never seen any rust.

I don’t think they even need to remove the the mutirail for the usual roof repair.

VW should be happy to fix as looks to be a one off, and they will be keen to find out what’s caused the issue.

It looks like they have used the wrong adhesive / sealant for the the multirail & multirail end cap, and it had just rotted from underneath. Damage is incredible in such a short space of time. I have fitted multi rails to older vans (drill holes, apply rust treatment by screw holes, screw in to bodywork + silkaflex adhesive underneath. But Cali is just glued), but I have never seen any rust.

I don’t think they even need to remove the the mutirail for the usual roof repair.

VW should be happy to fix as looks to be a one off, and they will be keen to find out what’s caused the issue.

I have the e-mail confirming that car went back to Limmer in May of 2019, but at vw, there is no record of what was done. But it did go for sure as I bought it from a friend of a friend And he confirmed. The railing was badly glued as it is not sealed completely. So water was seeping and collecting there. Again, all factory work. it was repainted there with thick putty. What I suspect is that the sanding did not eliminate 100% of black spots on the rusting metal, and that is how it rusted so fast. I also am sure that under the front panel, its rusted beyond repair.A9A0A0A9-DC5B-4CA7-8F53-BF62A8157C9B.jpeg

What was the original repair, was it the front panel above the screen?
VW knows it went to the recall, but they have no records of what was done. I am sure it was removed as its surely rusted beyond repair there also. I am expecting some reply this week, will let you guys know. Thanks for your interest..

VW knows it went to the recall, but they have no records of what was done. I am sure it was removed as its surely rusted beyond repair there also. I am expecting some reply this week, will let you guys know. Thanks for your interest..
Good luck to you. We will all be interested to know the outcome..

Back