Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof strut grommets

P

Pineweasel

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
I was nosing around the open roof and discovered some small grommets loose in the base area of the struts. They are about 6mm in diameter; there were two on the RHS but just one on the the left. Looking at the mechanism, I am certain they should be mounted in the holes in the two struts forming the forward mechanism, such that they are cushioned against each other when folded. However, I am equally certain that they will probably drop out again, so I've not refitted them yet. Has anyone else noticed whether they are still in place on their van?

IMG_4940.JPG IMG_4941.JPG

One fell out of my mechanism yonks back (sadly it fell into a position that caused a tiny ding in the roof when I closed it without noticing; which has since been fixed) I never replaced the grommet and there doesn't appear to have been any ill effects.

They seem to come out at some point .
There was already a tread on this....try the search funtion maybe to find out more.

I found this thread when researching my roof rattle - I too am missing a grommet - or three. Odd thing is the rattle sounds like it comes from the side that still has a grommet. If they are going to fall out again I might try using something else, like the stick-on bump stops they give you for the doors on flat pack furniture - unless anyone has any better ideas?

I found this thread when researching my roof rattle - I too am missing a grommet - or three. Odd thing is the rattle sounds like it comes from the side that still has a grommet. If they are going to fall out again I might try using something else, like the stick-on bump stops they give you for the doors on flat pack furniture - unless anyone has any better ideas?

If the rattle is on the drivers side try giving the awning a thump to see if it's that is the culprit.

Ah - hadn't even considered the awning!

I was nosing around the open roof and discovered some small grommets loose in the base area of the struts. They are about 6mm in diameter; there were two on the RHS but just one on the the left. Looking at the mechanism, I am certain they should be mounted in the holes in the two struts forming the forward mechanism, such that they are cushioned against each other when folded. However, I am equally certain that they will probably drop out again, so I've not refitted them yet. Has anyone else noticed whether they are still in place on their van?

View attachment 9890 View attachment 9891
I have exactly the same issue, i.e, missing grommets. Did you ever replace? If so with what? Thanks.

I was wondering where the gromit I'd found had come from. I have a collection of bits that have fallen off, all minor I think, in the drivers door pocket.

Back