Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to make a Beach handle more load on the roof

kave

kave

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
In another thread https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...-and-inflatable-sup-secure.43694/#post-567080, we discussed where to mount an inflatable sup. @Ch1pbutty suggested to mount stronger gas struts and mount the sup on the roof. I ordered two gas struts from https://www.hinscha.com/en/p/gas-spring-t5-t6-california-600n and replaced the originals yesterday.
We have two solar panels on the roof already and in winter the original struts have a hard time keeping the fabric stretched.
Both the original struts and the replacements are longer than they can be when roof is up so they need to be compressed to be able to mount them. I tried with bands and clamps which worked out ok.
2022022506210693-2705929047356544277-IMG_7078-X3.jpg

2022022506210693--2517227851251938858-IMG_7083-X3.jpg

Now the roof easily stays up with both roof panels up and I am sure I can have a roof rack and an inflatable sup there as well.

This guy has modded his beach quite a lot. Worth having a look @kave

Only one video?

Yes.
I think he's only just started that side of things.
Have a look at his Instagram posts :thumb

How much difference has it made to the opening and closing process? Look forward to pictures of testing a bit more weight (So I don’t have to!)

How much difference has it made to the opening and closing process? Look forward to pictures of testing a bit more weight (So I don’t have to!)
I'd be more concerned when there isn't much weight and it's summer and 30c.

In another thread https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...-and-inflatable-sup-secure.43694/#post-567080, we discussed where to mount an inflatable sup. @Ch1pbutty suggested to mount stronger gas struts and mount the sup on the roof. I ordered two gas struts from https://www.hinscha.com/en/p/gas-spring-t5-t6-california-600n and replaced the originals yesterday.
We have two solar panels on the roof already and in winter the original struts have a hard time keeping the fabric stretched.
Both the original struts and the replacements are longer than they can be when roof is up so they need to be compressed to be able to mount them. I tried with bands and clamps which worked out ok.
2022022506210693-2705929047356544277-IMG_7078-X3.jpg

Now the roof easily stays up with both roof panels up and I am sure I can have a roof rack and an inflatable sup there as well.
Hi, Looking at switching mine over this weekend now the wind has now dropped!

Plan to use combination of cable ties & hooked ratchet strap to compress the rod. Had a quick look a minute go and looks easier to remove the two brackets from the roof (star nuts), attach new rods to brackets & then reattach brackets to the roof/van body.

Did you use the the existing VW threaded ‘nipple’ on the mounts as the supplied ones look slightly different?

The roof section isn't designed as a load carrier and merely fitting stronger struts could result in the attachment points either cracking or failing completely.

There is also the legal implications of carrying a load outside of the design specification, both from Insurance point and Construction and Use specification.

Hi, Looking at switching mine over this weekend now the wind has now dropped!

Plan to use combination of cable ties & hooked ratchet strap to compress the rod. Had a quick look a minute go and looks easier to remove the two brackets from the roof (star nuts), attach new rods to brackets & then reattach brackets to the roof/van body.

Did you use the the existing VW threaded ‘nipple’ on the mounts as the supplied ones look slightly different?
You remove the hole damper including the female part of the ball joint. The male part is threaded on both but totally different. If you look closely you will see there is a “stop” that you need to lift on the inside if the ball joint. Then you just slide it off with little force. The new has different stops that you remove before installing. I recommend supporting the roof on the inside on both sides. Compress the old damper just a little and its easy to remove. You only need to put something on the lower part, on the top you just put a band arround the top part of the strut securing it with a cable tie. I practised on the new first so I new how much force was required. They need to compress about 10 cm.

The roof section isn't designed as a load carrier and merely fitting stronger struts could result in the attachment points either cracking or failing completely.

There is also the legal implications of carrying a load outside of the design specification, both from Insurance point and Construction and Use specification.
VW Technical gives 50kg max roof load (incl roof bar weight) for a pop top.

Would be useless as a surf wagon if it didn’t let you put boards on top.

23D77392-6EF1-4C5D-A9D0-89EFBA708857.jpeg

VW Technical gives 50kg max roof load (incl roof bar weight) for a pop top.

Would be useless as a surf wagon if it didn’t let you put boards on top.

View attachment 89656
I’ve never understood the second para which says “each mount … 50kg”. Any idea what they mean by a “mount”? Doesn’t seem to tally with the first para.

I’ve never understood the second para which says “each mount … 50kg”. Any idea what they mean by a “mount”? Doesn’t seem to tally with the first para.
‘Mount’ is the combined weight of the roof carrier (feet&bars) and the actual load being carried. So they might as well call it ‘roof load limit’ as in para 1.

50kg for each Mount makes more sense when thinking about the fixed roof vans. To make full use of their 150kg roof limit the load should be spread using 3 bars is the way I read it.
For our lifting roofs it’s irrelevant as the total roof limit is 50kg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a Thule Wanderway 2 in the end. Now I have the choice of inflated sup on roof or in bag on the Thule:
i-59RDhqn-X3.jpg

Hi all! @kave thanks for the post! I just joined the forum because I landed on it and it's very useful! I am a new 6.1 Coast (manual roof) owner and I am using a Thule roof box on Thule wingbars to store by kite/wing gear. I have the same problem as many mentioned: when the roof box is full (always below 50kg though), the roof doesn't stay up even if I put the box as much at the back of the roof as possible.

I have read everything I could and landed on this post. So I'm considering buying those hinscha gas springs https://www.hinscha.com/en/p/gas-spring-t5-t6-california-600n Looking at the post and responses, it looks like the replacement procedure should be:
1) Pop up the roof and find a way to keep it up and symmetrical while changing the struts. I guess that the good way to do it is using wooden sticks to support it in several places. Any advices on this?
2) Start by removing one strut: I guess that you need to find a way to keep it compressed while unscrewing one side (e.g. the top) so that it doesn't extend and damage something as the bolt becomes loose?
3) To install the new strut the first picture is pretty telling: you need a set of tools (bands and clamps) to keep the strut compressed while screwing the top side. @kave I'm trying to understand what the blue band is attached to at the top. Is it the same anchor point as for the strut itself?
4) Redo 2 and 3 for the second side of the roof

Is that correct? Any advice that will help me not make a whole in the roof fabric, or worse, the roof itself? :D Thank you!

Hello.
1. Yes, I used a paper roll from a carpet cut to size and a leg from a tripod inside the van, you place it in front where it is flat under the front window of the bellow.
2. Yes, in fact the worst is to compress the new struts since they are stronger and you need the compressed so they fit into the space.
3. The blue band is just tied around the mount in the roof, the underside of the strut is not easy to attach a band so I used a clamp with cloth to attach to the bottom part of the strut.
4. Yes

Used a couple of these to stop the roof from dropping, also attached a roof rack strap internally to stop the roof from lifting / twisting as each new side strut is attached (to internal roof handle / headrest)

Bessey ST125 ST Telescopic... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0719CWPDF/?tag=eliteelect-21

Hardest thing is compressing the struts, but can easily be done with ratchet strap…I used a bit of bike inner tube under the fabric on the ratchet strap, as the tip of the roof strut will eventually want to make a hole in the ratchet strap.

Thank you both for the info, things are clear now. I think I understand the setup to put in place while making the change (to keep the roof up). And the major difficulty seems to be to compress the new hinscha struts as they are mounted into place. A ratchet strap + inner bike tube as suggested by @Ch1pbutty seems to be a good solution.

Last question: Hinscha says that those struts are suited for T5/T6. Does anyone know if they will fit a T6.1 roof? I want to make sure there's no difference in all the elements of the mechanical roof (all dimensions of the struts, size of bolts, etc...)

Back