Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Renewing licence at 70 - HELP!!!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
I have to have my license renewed at 70 (eek imminent) but when I did it online I found at end that I will lose cat C1 and other lorry stuff like C1E BE D1 ... have to do by post with special forms D2/D4 if want to keep
Forms here seems I need a medical and optician report (that wont be cheap even if they do them at present!)
so...what do I actually lose if I just let these go....
Do I need to keep any? Can I just keep C1? Do I need to keep C1? Does C1 need a medical? aaaaaaaghhhh...
Days of driving a minibus long over and not wanted...
I have spent ages reading stuff including gov.uk but am just at a loss what I should do
Help!!!

If you never want to drive anything over 3.5 tonnes in the future don't bother.
If you think that you might want a camper/motorhome over 3.5 tonnes in the future, it's best to renew now, but I think (not 100% sure) that you could apply again when you needed the licence.
There are a number of organisations that will deal with the medical and eyesight test for a reasonable fee, they originally set up to provide a service to truckers.
I have used a company called D4D which arrange medicals at various U.K. locations for around £50

I have to have my license renewed at 70 (eek imminent) but when I did it online I found at end that I will lose cat C1 and other lorry stuff like C1E BE D1 ... have to do by post with special forms D2/D4 if want to keep
Forms here seems I need a medical and optician report (that wont be cheap even if they do them at present!)
Do I need to keep any? Can I just keep C1? Do I need to keep C1? Does C1 need a medical? aaaaaaaghhhh...
I have spent ages reading stuff including gov.uk but am just at a loss what I should do
Help!!!
I recently renewed mine (i’m now 70) and lost C1 etc which for me is not a problem. Also noticed that expiry is 2024 so renewal is required every 3 years. The joys of getting older :)

cheers for advice re medical .... and no I don't want or plan on driving a truck or even a minibus so shall I just accept losing C1 as yet another thing you lose as you get older...

You would need a C1 for Grand California 680...just in case that's important to you.

Also noticed that expiry is 2024 so renewal is required every 3 years. The joys of getting older :)
Beware of renewing too early. DVLA advise "renewing in good time" but, if you do, your new licence is dated from the date of receipt of your application. I have lost nearly six months over three renewals because of this.
As long as you apply for renewal before expiry date of your existing licence and can show that you have, you are O.K. with the law.

Beware of renewing too early. DVLA advise "renewing in good time" but, if you do, your new licence is dated from the date of receipt of your application. I have lost nearly six months over three renewals because of this.
As long as you apply for renewal before expiry date of your existing licence and can show that you have, you are O.K. with the law.
Massive backlog at DVLA at the moment. Keep a record of when you applied and as has been stated you are covered whilst waiting - mu mother in law been waiting 3 months now.

@David Eccles join the club. It's nearly three years since I lost my C1 but currently considering both of us having the medical (D4Drivers perhaps) so that we can consider a LWB Crafter conversion. It seems to be difficult to get a decent conversion below 3.5 Tonnes.

I've decided to bite bullet and renew and use the medicals company suggested. fed up with how much have lost or had taken away in past 12 months

Help!!!
I just sent mine off in the post to retain all the extra bits, ie 3.5 tonnes and above minibus, trailers etc. I didn't notice the bit about the medical, so they will probably reject it. I don't intend driving anything big - but you never know. It will be interesting to know what they do.

If you really don't think you'll buy or hire a vehicle over 3.5 tons, don't bother.
I did because previously we had hired a big campvan in Canada, and fancied going down the west coast of the US in one in the future. When I applied to DVLA they picked up on something in my medical records which they queried. The end result is now is DVLA will only issue me with a 1-year licence, although there is nothing to stop me driving. They query my medical every year, even though l don't want the over 3.5 ton license. This year, I applied in January to renew my licence, and I'm still waiting to have my licence returned. It wasn't activated until I complained to the ombudsman stating that I was in a position that I couldn't hire a vehicle without physically having a current licence.

I heard that some van hire companies don't rent vehicles out to drivers who are over 70 now.
Car hire firms seem to be less worried about the upper age.

Alan

I didn't keep my extra licence additions, HGV due to Annual Medical plus if commercial driving the CPC 5 day course costs. Later the Over 3.5tonnes as again a medical which last time cost £125 from my Surgery, cheaper ones can be found.
3.5tonnes can be put back on with a Medical if required in future.

I didn't keep my extra licence additions, HGV due to Annual Medical plus if commercial driving the CPC 5 day course costs. Later the Over 3.5tonnes as again a medical which last time cost £125 from my Surgery, cheaper ones can be found.
3.5tonnes can be put back on with a Medical if required in future.
Yes, you can have it replaced on your licence if you let its validity lapse. I wish I'd taken that route.

I heard that some van hire companies don't rent vehicles out to drivers who are over 70 now.
Car hire firms seem to be less worried about the upper age.

Alan
That may be the individual companies preference but generally the policy covers 25-75 age bracket and then you have to refer anyone outside that range individually. We have hired to people 79 years old before.

Back