Driving licence dilemma

A

AlanC

Traveling
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I am fast approaching a milestone birthday which DVLA kindly reminded me about last week.

It appears that the C1 category on my licence will not be renewed unless I take a medical and complete another form. There seems to be no need for a driving test.

My dilemma is: should I let this go or spend between £50-£100 on a medical to keep it?
I don't need this classification for the Cali, but having had it in my license since1974, am reluctant to let it go.

Alan

I am fast approaching a milestone birthday which DVLA kindly reminded me about last week.

It appears that the C1 category on my licence will not be renewed unless I take a medical and complete another form. There seems to be no need for a driving test.

My dilemma is: should I let this go or spend between £50-£100 on a medical to keep it?
I don't need this classification for the Cali, but having had it in my license since1974, am reluctant to let it go.

Alan
Only you can answer that. Are you going to require it in the future?
I had the same a few months ago. Decided that the only other vehicle I'm likely to be driving in the future, far distant future I hope, will be an electric Disability Scooter, so no need.

I'd do it if I was in that situation. You never know if you buy a GC of more than 3500 kg?
I can't even tow a trailer that weighs more than 500 kg on my driving license. But to have a BE, I will have to spend a small € 1000.

I'd do it if I was in that situation. You never know if you buy a GC of more than 3500 kg?
I can't even tow a trailer that weighs more than 500 kg on my driving license. But to have a BE, I will have to spend a small € 1000.
That is true and in part what is causing my dilemma. The Cali 680 is over 3.5kg MAM so needs the C1 category
Can't decide if we need to be future-proofed or not.

Alan

I've just had the same dilemma re a class 1 hgv that I have not used for 20 years plus but decided to let it go this time. I suppose it's a personal decision. Best of luck.

If you’re lucky enough to able to afford a 680 then £100 for a medical check shouldn’t break the bank. And a medical check could alert you to things that you weren’t aware of in advance of becoming a health issue...

Good afternoon,

My driving license A, C,1 BE is valid until May 2025, but C1, C1e and D1E will expire in May 2020.

I certainly will go ahead to extend the licenses, one never knows when they would come in handy.

There is a very interesting video from "A Bus and Beyond" which explains in detail what needs to be done to acquire the C1 (I imagine it will be similar in Ireland). It seems it is quite expensive and takes some time.

For an extension I only need to go to the GP for the health from, need a special eye sight test. If all that is done make an appointment with the NDLS. All this certainly will be shorter and not to expensive. I am not looking forward to it (who likes all this), but I will do to keep the license until 2025. The I will re-evaluate to do it another time (nobody gets younger).

Regards,
Eberhrd

Keep it for the sake of a simple medical. You may need it the future and kick yourself then if you let it lapse now. I guess it would need another test to get it back on your license which would be costly and a royal PITA.

Go for it, besides a medical is no bad thing, reassuring to see all is well and you pass the MOT

Good afternoon,

My driving license A, C,1 BE is valid until May 2025, but C1, C1e and D1E will expire in May 2020.

I certainly will go ahead to extend the licenses, one never knows when they would come in handy.

There is a very interesting video from "A Bus and Beyond" which explains in detail what needs to be done to acquire the C1 (I imagine it will be similar in Ireland). It seems it is quite expensive and takes some time.

For an extension I only need to go to the GP for the health from, need a special eye sight test. If all that is done make an appointment with the NDLS. All this certainly will be shorter and not to expensive. I am not looking forward to it (who likes all this), but I will do to keep the license until 2025. The I will re-evaluate to do it another time (nobody gets younger).

Regards,
Eberhrd

I have just seen that vlog and it is very helpful.

Thanks

Alan

I am a bit confused..
I have all the categories on my licence including C1 which will expire in 2021 ...
what exactly is C1 (google search seems to be big trucks???)
what about if renting motorhomes for holidays in places like USA...do they need C1?

C1 is vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes and you can tow a trailer up to 750kg

C1 is vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes and you can tow a trailer up to 750kg
And with CE you can put a fullsize trailer behind your truck!

My dad forgot the expiry date of his military achieved driving license. Once he could have driven a 3,5+T van to move some stuff, but his C1 license was expired for 2 years. The people who asked him, had to find another solution...

You never know what is crossing your path.

Back