Albert! You are Brilliant!

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
How could anyone be without a Cali.

Thursday my life was thrown into chaos. Ten weeks of training for a half marathon event was suddenly put into serious jeopardy. My Daughter in law was ill with flu and two small children to both look after. My Sister went and collected her and brought her to my house. Suddenly the whole place is filled with a miasma of cold and flu viruses just waiting to ruin my weekend.

Fortunately my sister understood my predicament and ordered me out of the house.

Without any preparation whatsoever, just throwing my running kit into the van, Albert and I went in search of a field to park in.

Well the field turned out to be the CC club site in Brighton. Albert was ready. I always keep him well provisioned with food and clothes so I had no immediate need to plan anything. I had food, water, cooking facilities, a comfortable bed and above all no flu-ridden neighbours. My eye-TV had good reception, 70 channels to choose from, the WiFi reception was excellent. Of course Albert was impeccably mannered getting me there.

Three nights, comfortable bed, relaxed sleep, loads of entertainment, re-provisioned lots of fresh food and pasta to eat, amazing amount of comfortable space in such a small box,

I came home this afternoon muttering to myself "what a machine". It could have taken me hours to find a hotel, crap bed, crap food, lots of unwanted noise and no doubt viruses waiting to pounce at every turn, plus of course packing bags, forgetting stuff, lugging bags, can't relax in my room all day ...

Instead 3 wonderful, relaxed, comfortable nights in my palace on wheels that was ready in a moments notice to roll.

So it's diesel powered and about to be banned from all centres of civilisation, probably has roof rot, depreciating quicker than an Austin allegro and doesn't have curtains and bits of fluffiness. What it does have is pedigree. It works. I can get in it and know it will do the job.

Albert, I love you! (and we still only have 14 hours to save the world).......

Last edited:
Love your post and can't wait until we get our palace on wheels!

With all the negativity on the forum what a pleasure to read GJ describing the positive side of ownership. The forum is lucky to have Granny Jen and WelshGas as their contribution is warmly welcomed.

It's magic.

Once I got to Brighton, found my spot, stress disappeared. 5 minutes roof is up, electric plugged in, gas on and kettle boiling. Sit on the back bench seat, chill... totally self-contained bundle of contentment.

We were there on Saturday night. Where you there then? We seem to go to all the same places at the same time but never bump into each other. Are you avoiding us? ;);)

We were there on Saturday night. Where you there then? We seem to go to all the same places at the same time but never bump into each other. Are you avoiding us? ;);)

I saw a black cali, the other side to the second facilities block to where I was. Otherwise I was early to bed Saturday night and left at 7am the following morning not returning until around 1pm.

You may not have been too pleased to bump into me :D

This is the dreadful sight that you would have seen. My hair band broke right at the start so with the drizzle and 35km winds by the time I finished I looked a wreck :shocked

Brighton2017 - finish.jpg

Totally agree!! We are one year living in our Stanley travelling and climbing around Europe. The freedom, adventure, practicality, function and comfort are brilliant. Stanley has had some challenges but don't we all.

Totally agree!! We are one year living in our Stanley travelling and climbing around Europe. The freedom, adventure, practicality, function and comfort are brilliant. Stanley has had some challenges but don't we all.

Back