Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Remote window function

Andy80F

Andy80F

VIP Member
Whilst using the remote I found that if after unlocking you then press and hold the open button on the remote the two front windows open. Might be this is something everyone knows about but even after a year of owning we are still finding little touches. Conversely if you leave the vehicle with windows open (more of a summer thread this) and use the remote to lock it a second press and hold, on the lock button, will close the windows.

Not sure why I like this function but it seemed interesting.

I don't think you even need a second press.
Simply holding the button down does the job.

An interesting extra is that you can use it to open (or close) the windows from inside the van without having to turn on the ignition & the (very bright & irritating) driving lamps...

Just gone out and tried it and you are right in that you just need to keep the button pressed.
I do like this forum for what you find out.

A lot of cars do this too.
Very handy.

Also if you brake hard at speed the brake lights flash :thumb

If you brake too late you get a few free balloons.

I think the window thing is pretty much standard on VAG vehicles. We've had seven now over the last ten years and they've all done this.

That i didn't know...wil try soon :thumb
Can' t recall it being mentiont in the manual.
Have the Cali two years and still learning :oops:

Do you know about the "service position" for the wiper blades?

When washing the windscreen you can't lift the wiper blades very far off or they scrape the back edge of the bonnet.

You can switch the ignition on, switch the wipers on and then switch the ignition off and try and get them in the correct position,

or switch the ignition on, turn the ignition off, press the wiper switch down and release, hey presto the wipers park straight up! :clap

Also useful when changing the wiper blades.

The wiper blades position i knew but never used it...
Did try the window trick this afthernoon....check :!:
:thanks for the info....

snowy55 said:
switch the ignition on, turn the ignition off, press the wiper switch down and release, hey presto the wipers park straight up!
Make sure you remove the ignition key as soon as you have them in the parked position!
Imagine the result if they start wiping when pivoted forwards....

2CV67 said:
snowy55 said:
switch the ignition on, turn the ignition off, press the wiper switch down and release, hey presto the wipers park straight up!
Make sure you remove the ignition key as soon as you have them in the parked position!
Imagine the result if they start wiping when pivoted forwards....

If you turn the ignition on the wipers don't move until you move the wiper switch. :thumb

The windows and sun roof, if you have one, on all VAG cars also open and close with the key in the door lock.

Just hold the key in the unlock position for a short while after unlocking the doors and the windows will drop.

Do the same when locking and they will all close.

Alan

Facelift T5s don't need the wiper park function to lift them off the screen as they have a different angle in the wiper arms, the function still exists though.

Auto opening / closing of the windows can be disabled with VCDS. I have mine disabled because if I squash my keys in my pocket when in the house constant pressure on the button unlocks the van and opens the windows. The locking system re-locks the van if a door isn't opened but the windows remain open to let the rain (and thieves) in!

Rod

rod_vw said:
Facelift T5s don't need the wiper park function to lift them off the screen as they have a different angle in the wiper arms, the function still exists though.
I would be interested to see a picture of wipers which don't need the park function.
My 2013 facelift (but LHD) right-hand (passenger here) wiper arm cannot be lifted without fouling the bonnet.
Is this a LHD/RHD thing, or is it related to the latest low-profile blades (which I don't have but am thinking of getting)?

2CV67 said:
rod_vw said:
I would be interested to see a picture of wipers which don't need the park function.
My 2013 facelift (but LHD) right-hand (passenger here) wiper arm cannot be lifted without fouling the bonnet.
Is this a LHD/RHD thing, or is it related to the latest low-profile blades (which I don't have but am thinking of getting)?
My 2011 SE wipers foul the bonnet if lifted off the screen.

My 2012 5.1 needs the magic park otherwise they foul the bonnet. Wonder what changed in 2013, have the migrated to the new style wiper blades that most cars have now (the ones that droop when you lift them up)?

Pictureof my 2013 LHD Cali showing problem with right-hand wiper & bonnet.
wiper_zps8c3fdb79.jpg

What do new RHD wipers look like, which don't need the parking position?

This will be usful when sleeping in the pop up during the night if you need to open door windows. This will save climbing down and as mentioned turning on ignition and lights. :goodone

Alan

sandalfarm said:
The windows might close if you have a rain sensor but I'm not sure if the ignition is off
Definitely works with the fob, keep lock button pressed & they go up even without rain sensor.

2CV67 said:
wiper_zps8c3fdb79.jpg

'tis exactly the same but the left wiper on ours.

Alan

AlanC said:
2CV67 said:
wiper_zps8c3fdb79.jpg

'tis exactly the same but the left wiper on ours.

Alan

Same on the left wiper on my 2011 cali

Back