Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Regret going for Beach over Ocean? Or vice versa?

As someone mentioned, tyres might be overinflated.
According to this video (ok it's a 6.0), there should be a fist of room under a 2M height restriction but the one on the showroom floor was definitely over that by about 30mm.
I've just been outside to measure mine - Im at 204cm to top of awning & the roofs a bit higher than that. Its never had any thing in the back yet & I would expect it to settle a fair bit once it has had some load in there.

It also looks so jacked up at the back that it could pass for a wheelbarrow. The top of rear arch is slightly further off the ground than the top of the front one. The crease line in the body is about 5cm higher at the back than the front. If it was level the van would be within a few mm of the brochure.

2.2 leaves a fair bit of room if the van height is 2.03m!

Not sure about the tyre pressure theory now. A cursory google suggests vehicle height changes by 1/32" per 2psi at normal pressures. So 10psi overinflation would still only change the height by 8mm?
Just potentially reduces roof bar options. I’m thinking of solar but don’t think that adds any height at all...

Wonder why your measurement were so high? That could be an issue for me, my garage has 2.2m headroom. Should be ok but I’ll be ducking every time I sheepishly ease in...
CRS Performance on the T6 forum sells a kit to equalize the wheel gap front and rear, which results in the door sill and floor being 40mm higher at the rear wheel than at the front. He says all vans leave the factory that way. With that difference front to back, I don't see how the rear can stay under 2m. It would be interesting to have some measurements and feedback from current 6.1 owners.

I've just been outside to measure mine - Im at 204cm to top of awning & the roofs a bit higher than that. Its never had any thing in the back yet & I would expect it to settle a fair bit once it has had some load in there.

It also looks so jacked up at the back that it could pass for a wheelbarrow. The top of rear arch is slightly further off the ground than the top of the front one. The crease line in the body is about 5cm higher at the back than the front. If it was level the van would be within a few mm of the brochure.
That was quick. Very useful info.

CRS Performance on the T6 forum sells a kit to equalize the wheel gap front and rear, which results in the door sill and floor being 40mm higher at the rear wheel than at the front. He says all vans leave the factory that way.

A cali isn't the same as an empty van though. An empty van you would expect to be high at the back, half loaded level, & fully loaded down at the back?

A cali whether beach or ocean has almost exactly half the available payload that a panel van with the same max gross weight has, so even when empty it is the equivalent of a van with about 500kg in the back.

The difference between an empty and full T30 150 DSG panel van is 969KG
On a 150 DSG Coast it is 487kg.

I would therefore expect an empty cali to have the same stance as a half full panel van.

There has obviously been a major change in the set up of the 6.1 Cali suspension that makes it doubtful that the van is under 2m. HD suspension fitted as standard?

There has obviously been a major change in the set up of the 6.1 Cali suspension that makes it doubtful that the van is under 2m. HD suspension fitted as standard?
Possibly, but by summer mine will be under 2m ! I'll measure it again some time once loaded up & then again unloaded to see if settles a bit.

Well black is my colour choice, and as @Borris notes, I can easily be outvoted!
Our current van is black so I know how messy it gets and although we're in the wettest part of the peninsula, that rain can be loaded with Sahara sand on a south wind! Some sense being spoken... although that metallic black is lush!

@WelshGas looking at that diagram, the height is indeed dimensioned from the panelvan roof. The poptop is 'extra' and is easily 2 - 3cm thick.

@Calimili well spotted. Have read through the specs and indeed the Ocean has double glazed windows back there and the Beach doesn't. Hard to find as they literally list *everything* including stuff like the coolant and hubcaps :D

@LemonDrop that's the very reason this thread is 10 pages long!
The California Pop Top roof and the Panel van are exactly the same height. Unlike conversions where the Pop Top is on top of the Panel Van roof, the California roof replaces the Panel Van roof.
if you examine a Panel Van beside a California then you would see exactly what I mean.
Those measurements I quoted are for the California T6.1.
Also, although the Factory fit awning appears higher than the roof, the roof is in fact Convex ( upside down U ) and using a long spirit level the top of the awning cassette is the same height as the peak of the roof.

Unless VW have altered the T6.1 dimensions and those figures are wrong, the T6.1 has the same height as its predecessors the T6 and T5/5.1, and is less than 2 metres on standard suspension.

I've started a new thread to explore this. Since OP brought this up we've opened new territory, and based on actual measurements it looks like it should be followed up for those to whom the 2m limit is important.

Thanks @clarinetbcn , hope I haven’t opened another can of worms
On the contrary, the 2m height limit was and is vitally important to me because I live in a 14th century neighborhood and the nearest parking spot to my flat is far away and under ground. Others will have equally important concerns, not to mention tolls, ferries, 2m limits at beach car parks, etc.

Last edited:
On the contrary, the 2m height limit was and is vitally important to me because I live in a 14th century neighborhood and the nearest parking spot to my flat is far away and under ground. Others will have equally important concerns, not to mention tolls, ferries, 2m limits at beach car parks, etc.
Same here, central San Sebastián with no garage. And the garages around here are only big enough for a Seat 600! And if you can fit a Cali in, you have to leave through the tailgate…!

Just having a read back over the thread as a final sanity check! Again, thanks everyone for the invaluable insights! The two contenders are:

Ocean 150 DSG
Black (or Fortana)
Steelies
ACC, Reversing Camera
Bright Oak + shower hose (I know..!)
Standard glass but dealer will wrap the windows free
Tot. €64k delivered and registered.

or

Beach Camper 150 DSG Black or Fortana
Steelies
ACC, Cam, Park Pilot*, LED lights*
2 seat bench, EHU*, 3 window manual roof*, awning*
Windows as Ocean
Tot. €57.5
* come standard on Spanish Ocean

As per the thread, I have gone from 90% certain on the Beach to about 90% Ocean.

One thing I did notice - the 195cm vehicle height claimed by VW must be for the base panel van. While I had the tape measure out yesterday, the top of the awning rail was about 203cm. Even without that, the roof wasn't much lower - I can think of a few fave parking spots we can scrape under in the Multivan that we won't get into with the pop top or awning!
On my T5 I found the awing was higher than the van and is not the same height all of its length. I discovered this while parking under a Carrefour supermarket parking covered area. Luckily I only scrapped the top of the awing. Van passes under 2m toil entrance barriers on R3 Madrid OK. Although I do not go to car parks that are lower than 2:20m which has restricted the ability to go to some hotels I used to visit with my car. However my van is very basic no fancy wheels or tires which could make a difference.

On my T5 I found the awing was higher than the van and is not the same height all of its length. I discovered this while parking under a Carrefour supermarket parking covered area. Luckily I only scrapped the top of the awing. Van passes under 2m toil entrance barriers on R3 Madrid OK. Although I do not go to car parks that are lower than 2:20m which has restricted the ability to go to some hotels I used to visit with my car. However my van is very basic no fancy wheels or tires which could make a difference.
When I get chance I'll measure my current van (T5) as it must be 1.9m but goes under most things. Some national park places here put 1.8m barriers up specifically to keep wild campers out.

Would be useful to know how much higher the new van will be. Hotels are a good point - the one we usually stay at in Bordeaux is 1.9 and our current van clouts the bar every time (its at the top of a ramp - if it were level it'd sneak under). An Ocean at 2.03m would make a racket going under that.

Think the colour is decided. I've been talked out of black, leaving Fortana Red as the sole contender.

However, having seen some members' photos (@andyinluton @Ladymuck @bluedogcampervan !) of the Starlight Blue , the OH and I have decided on that.

It's also the colour of my dad's van. He loved his VW buses.. he sadly passed last new year and the van is still in the family, my sister has it, but it would be nice to keep the tradition going!

Think the colour is decided. I've been talked out of black, leaving Fortana Red as the sole contender.

However, having seen some members' photos (@andyinluton @Ladymuck @bluedogcampervan !) of the Starlight Blue , the OH and I have decided on that.

It's also the colour of my dad's van. He loved his VW buses.. he sadly passed last new year and the van is still in the family, my sister has it, but it would be nice to keep the tradition going!

I wanted Black again. Can't beat it when its clean. Had to have the blue as it was the only van available on a weeks delivery that met the rest of our "essential" requirements. Ie 5th seat & towbar.

yep but..... what we want to know is... Beach or Ocean ?

I wanted Black again. Can't beat it when its clean. Had to have the blue as it was the only van available on a weeks delivery that met the rest of our "essential" requirements. Ie 5th seat & towbar.
The metallic black looks mint and isn't a common colour for Calis but my washing regime is basically driving through the car wash out twice a year! So it's time for a change I think!

Two best colours.

Indium Grey and Starlight Blue.
Really like the Bayleaf Green, but not sure I could live with the colour long term.

You could get the grey and bottom wrap the bottom half black. Half and half...

I love our Starlight Blue! The sparkle is gorgeous in the sunshine. Of course it is harder to keep looking clean compared with the grey and lighter colours but I still love it A530359C-81A1-41A2-86C4-09411FDA5582.jpeg

Back