Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Regret going for Beach over Ocean? Or vice versa?

Well we settled on this for the final spec (and I haven't yet 100% decided against the Beach!) so pending deposit it's all ready to go. Sanity check anyone?!

Ocean 150 DSG Starlight Blue EUR65,000
17" Steelies
Non std options:
ACC
Reversing Camera
Bright oak cupboards with shower
Dealer will do a limo tint on the windows for free.

Everything else as std.

Did umm&ahh over the Media but 65k was the absolute limit on the budget and I prefer the phone to do the lifting so AppConnect should be fine. If not I'll put a Pioneer in it at some point...

I still have huge reservations about the powered roof. Looking at threads on here about it doesn't help as you only get the negative experiences. No-one starts threads to say how the roof just works and never causes problems!

So any last minute wobbles excepted, that's the spec the deposit will be going on this week - gulp. As always, thanks everyone for the great contribultions and insights!

Screenshot_20210316-132202_Samsung Internet.jpg

Well we settled on this for the final spec (and I haven't yet 100% decided against the Beach!) so pending deposit it's all ready to go. Sanity check anyone?!

17" Steelies
Non std options:
ACC
Reversing Camera

Everything else as std.

Did umm&ahh over the Media but 65k was the absolute limit on the budget and I prefer the phone to do the lifting so AppConnect should be fine. If not I'll put a Pioneer in it at some point...

I still have huge reservations about the powered roof. Looking at threads on here about it doesn't help as you only get the negative experiences. No-one starts threads to say how the roof just works and never causes problems!

So any last minute wobbles excepted, that's the spec the deposit will be going on this week - gulp. As always, thanks everyone for the great contribultions and insights!

View attachment 75181

If you get the choice 235 wide tyres give a much better ride than 215 on the 17" rims

Very nice - although it always looks black in photos! Have to say it didn't even occur to me til my partner ask what colour my dad's Kombi was.
I know what you mean, especially on an overcast day but the sparkle in the sunshine never fails to make me smile.

17" Steelies
Non std options:
ACC
Reversing Camera

Everything else as std.

View attachment 75181
Is the 80 ltr fuel tank standard? Cuts down on fuel stops, and I don't think it's expensive.

17" Steelies
Non std options:
ACC
Reversing Camera

Everything else as std.

View attachment 75181
Like the wheels and oak cupboards (neither on the UK configurator) and nice to get a limo tint for free.

Like the wheels and oak cupboards (neither on the UK configurator) and nice to get a limo tint for free.
The wheels aren't on the Spanish one, but I noticed they were on their demo van. Apparently they can come with the 4Motion? Always loved them...

The 17" steel wheels are easy to get second hand, Ive got a set with winter tyres . Looking at £200-250 for a set of 4 with tyres on.
Really easy to clean so perfect for the winter & I'm not going to get too upset when the Mrs kerbs them!

Spotted another difference - the Spanish market doesn't get the digital cockpit as std (€530 upgrade) nor the Discover Media (€930)!

Actually, just out of curiosity specced the same vehicle on the UK configurator (as near as possible), it comes out at almost €15K more expensive??? Can't be right.

Spotted another difference - the Spanish market doesn't get the digital cockpit as std (€530 upgrade) nor the Discover Media (€930)!
I think the analog cockpit is an advantage. Based on the poor reliability of previous Cali control panel screens, which has created a specialized third party cottage industry, can you imagine having to take a digital cockpit into VW for an out of warranty repair? Not applicable to those who habitually change their vans before the warranty runs out.

I think of the analog gauges as an upgrade, like a good watch, as the digital screen is likely to be less expensive to manufacture. Others will be more pleased by the digital functions.

Last edited:
I think the analog cockpit is an advantage. Based on the poor reliability of previous Cali control panel screens, which has created a specialized third party cottage industry, can you imagine having to take a digital cockpit into VW for an out of warranty repair? Not applicable to those who habitually change their vans before the warranty runs out.

I think of the analog gauges as an upgrade, like a good watch, as the digital screen is likely to be less expensive to manufacture.
I've used them on other brands and thought they were a bit tacky tbh. But I'd like the bigger screen of the radio upgrade - not for €930 though!

I think of the analog gauges as an upgrade, like a good watch, as the digital screen is likely to be less expensive to manufacture.
I think the digital cockpit should be ok as you don't actually touch it & it has been in operation in other VAG vehicles for about 5 years without reliability problems.
I would be more concerned about the camping control panel which I believe is in all models and unique to the cali..

@bob_summers Speaking of warranties, can you get an extended warranty in Spain? In the UK I think you have to buy it within the first 3 months of purchase.

Ouch thats expensive, Uk to extend from 3 years to 5 years 80,000 miles = 128,000km cost me £395.00 (and an absolute bargain at that price)

I think generally its 2 years warranty in Europe?

Actually, just out of curiosity specced the same vehicle on the UK configurator (as near as possible), it comes out at almost €15K more expensive??? Can't be right.
E15K more than in the UK, or UK more expensive?

E15K more than in the UK, or UK more expensive?
For a UK Ocean 150, metallic paint plus ACC, shower connection - £68.3K or €79K.
Dealer quoted €65.3K here for the same options (ok, ACC comes standalone here but in UK as part of driver assist pack) - it's still a massive difference, although I have no idea what kind of discount is typical in UK.

The shower connection sounds like pure frippery lol but I'm a hill/fell runner and often arrive back at the van caked in mud. I carry a pump-up plant sprayer to wash the worst off before getting changed, it takes up loads of room and I would love to get rid of it. An expensive but worthwhile option, I hope!

For a UK Ocean 150, metallic paint plus ACC, shower connection - £68.3K or €79K.
Dealer quoted €65.3K here for the same options (ok, ACC comes standalone here but in UK as part of driver assist pack) - it's still a massive difference, although I have no idea what kind of discount is typical in UK.

The shower connection sounds like pure frippery lol but I'm a hill/fell runner and often arrive back at the van caked in mud. I carry a pump-up plant sprayer to wash the worst off before getting changed, it takes up loads of room and I would love to get rid of it. An expensive but worthwhile option, I hope!
Massive difference! ACC is standard on Californias in the U.K. though. Driver assist pack plus here includes Active Lane assist, Traffic sign recognition, Side assist and High beam assist (all for £780).
You can get 12% off here with Drive the Deal.
(Shower is a great gadget and will be useful for washing me, my daughter and my dog after river swims.)

The options work out expensive here. Even the metallic paint was 150€ dearer. Those driver assist options you listed have to be specced separately and come to almost €2000!

We love our shower for rinsing muddy wellies, sandy feet and body boards; it's been fantastic.

Back