Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top roof issue

Nowhere did I mention that problems on the T6.1 were related, I was just explaining the Normal function and why the pump kicks in automatically at timed intervals.

I was very careful to state that excessive Sagging and and/or failure of the pump to automatically start and correct it is a Fault. As you have stated in your case it was a faulty pump. But 10-20mm drop with significant temperature changes such as 40c by day to 20c at night is to be expected But should be automatically corrected if the system is working correctly.
From what year model is there an auto adjust function?

From what year model is there an auto adjust function?
Mine a 2008 model it has auto adjust function normally adjusts itself on second night if it’s hot in the day time.

General advice from Volkswagen Campercentrum in the Netherlands: The popup roof can sometimes sag a little, on one or both sides. This is not a problem in itself. Do you want to fix it anyway? Turn on the engine, open the windows and open and close the roof five times.
I was told by my dealer (not Volkswagen Campercentrum) that the T6.1 version has a longer intermediate time programmed than the T6 and T5 versions before the auto adjustment starts.

My 2006 doesn't have the auto adjust,

I have had rams changed under warranty and not under warranty and it never
resolved the problem.
This is my thing now-
images-39.jpeg
But only one of them.
I don't want the roof to slowly lower onto me trapping me.
I wouldn't be able to have my bacon butty if that happened.

Hi Glenn et al

Apologies that this response has been some time in posting - it's because I have had to get this problem fixed. Just as you posted. So far - success!

Woken one night whilst sleeping upstairs with the roof motor running for a short burst. Visual inspection revealed nothing untoward. Following day noticed driver's side roof slightly lower. Pumped up and all seemed OK. Problem persisted during the next day and anxiety levels started to increase.

Reading previous posts it looked like a motor with faulty seals. I am pretty practical; but this looked like a task well above my pay grade. Mr Google indicated a company called 'Roof Motors' in Ilkley could supply a motor unit for just over £700. Graham at Roof Motors was most helpful, and did he have a recommendation for fitting. Yes. M & G Garage of Square Street Bradford - talk to Darren on
07970 784 104.

A telephone conversation with Darren filled me with confidence. Straight talking Yorkshireman. He had done several California's before. (yes) Roof Motors would drop their unit off and he could turn it round, probably, in half a day or so.

M&G trade from a single unit on a small industrial estate on the edge of Bradford city centre. No chairs, coffee, brochures, smart receptionists or air conditioning. A proper workshop where Darren and Paul practise their craft. His first observation was 'did I have a roof box?.' He has found the extra load to be too much for the pump. No roof box. He called me about an hour later whilst I was attempting to explore Bradford. There was a problem with a constricted feed to the ram, a hose being partly crushed. Ringing round he was unable to locate a replacement. So ordered one to be made with a bit more play to run sweetly in the duct. This would mean my travelling home by train and leaving the California with him.

Ten days later I got the call I had hoped. Darren is a problem solver and engineer. He stripped the existing pump down and refurbished it. I have had a full refund from Roof Motors. Darren pumped and tested the roof for several days, leaving it up in a hot garage over the weekend. He was satisfied that he had solved the problem, and yes, the roof works again without the dipping to one side.

He has charged me just short of £1,100 for the labour and parts. Threads here indicate the VW pump is around £1300 before labour. I would have had no confidence in taking this problem to my local VW dealer. (Also, they try to charge £15 to put a warranty replacement chair back in the tailgate!)

Bradford isn't particularly convenient for many Cali owners. However, Darren can solve the 'usual problem' in less than a day. I asked him if he was happy for me to mention on the forum this story. 'Yes, OK, I have done a few now and not the easiest but they are not going to beat me!' Yorkshire Grit (and I am not talking the climbing guide here)

As Guru Welsh Gas recommends, a good auto electrician with experience of hydraulic roofs and sun visors would probably be the best bet for this problem. I liked Darren's experience with previous Cali's. He was also a great communicator keeping me informed and up to date. And as a thank you I left him with a nice bottle of special hydraulic fluid from that well known oil refinery on Speyside.

Same for us, turned out that he hydraulic pump needed changing! This after only 2 months usage from new. Hope this helps.
yes that's very helpful thank you. Gives me some ammunition to go back to VW with when it goes in for its service, as I think they just want to fob me off.

Best wishes

My T5.1 started to develop this problem. The auto-tensioning system worked fine. We used to tension it before going to sleep to ensure 10h of peace.

The problem did, however, gradually get worse and eventually we took it to our local van centre. I can’t remember the mileage when it was fixed - maybe around 75-80k. But they replaced some of the hydrolic system on one side and if has been perfect ever since.

I suspect a small amount of sag is okay, but you need to keep an eye on your warranty and if it gets more than ‘small’, see if you can get it repaired. It can definitely progress in some situations.
Thanks for your help. I really don't know why VW can't sort this. I've shown them photos and explained the problem. Looking at the number of very kind people like yourself who have replied and are aware of this issue, you would think they would know what it is?

Thank again.

Hi Glenn et al

Apologies that this response has been some time in posting - it's because I have had to get this problem fixed. Just as you posted. So far - success!

Woken one night whilst sleeping upstairs with the roof motor running for a short burst. Visual inspection revealed nothing untoward. Following day noticed driver's side roof slightly lower. Pumped up and all seemed OK. Problem persisted during the next day and anxiety levels started to increase.

Reading previous posts it looked like a motor with faulty seals. I am pretty practical; but this looked like a task well above my pay grade. Mr Google indicated a company called 'Roof Motors' in Ilkley could supply a motor unit for just over £700. Graham at Roof Motors was most helpful, and did he have a recommendation for fitting. Yes. M & G Garage of Square Street Bradford - talk to Darren on
07970 784 104.

A telephone conversation with Darren filled me with confidence. Straight talking Yorkshireman. He had done several California's before. (yes) Roof Motors would drop their unit off and he could turn it round, probably, in half a day or so.

M&G trade from a single unit on a small industrial estate on the edge of Bradford city centre. No chairs, coffee, brochures, smart receptionists or air conditioning. A proper workshop where Darren and Paul practise their craft. His first observation was 'did I have a roof box?.' He has found the extra load to be too much for the pump. No roof box. He called me about an hour later whilst I was attempting to explore Bradford. There was a problem with a constricted feed to the ram, a hose being partly crushed. Ringing round he was unable to locate a replacement. So ordered one to be made with a bit more play to run sweetly in the duct. This would mean my travelling home by train and leaving the California with him.

Ten days later I got the call I had hoped. Darren is a problem solver and engineer. He stripped the existing pump down and refurbished it. I have had a full refund from Roof Motors. Darren pumped and tested the roof for several days, leaving it up in a hot garage over the weekend. He was satisfied that he had solved the problem, and yes, the roof works again without the dipping to one side.

He has charged me just short of £1,100 for the labour and parts. Threads here indicate the VW pump is around £1300 before labour. I would have had no confidence in taking this problem to my local VW dealer. (Also, they try to charge £15 to put a warranty replacement chair back in the tailgate!)

Bradford isn't particularly convenient for many Cali owners. However, Darren can solve the 'usual problem' in less than a day. I asked him if he was happy for me to mention on the forum this story. 'Yes, OK, I have done a few now and not the easiest but they are not going to beat me!' Yorkshire Grit (and I am not talking the climbing guide here)

As Guru Welsh Gas recommends, a good auto electrician with experience of hydraulic roofs and sun visors would probably be the best bet for this problem. I liked Darren's experience with previous Cali's. He was also a great communicator keeping me informed and up to date. And as a thank you I left him with a nice bottle of special hydraulic fluid from that well known oil refinery on Speyside.
Thank you very much for you're help and advice, really appreciate it.

Best wishes

Glenn

Same for us, turned out that he hydraulic pump needed changing! This after only 2 months usage from new. Hope this helps.
Sorry to bother you again, I was just thinking, if I could tell the VW dealership I used in Liverpool, the name of the dealership you used, perhaps I could get them to speak to each other before I take it back in to them. Hopefully I can then get some joy, as I'm sick of taking it back to them and getting nothing done.

Best wishes

Glenn

Hi. I have had the same problem with a T5 Cali. It only drops on the driver's side. Usually it can be up for 2 or 3 days but last week when we were away, it dropped after about 12 hours. Then it was OK for over 24 hours. The only other problem that may be linked is that on checking it in the spring after the winter break, I noticed that the canvas had come away from the roof at the front corner of the passenger's side. I tried to fix it but couldn't so took it to the dealership who had to take it off a bit more and then reattached it. It cost about £100. My concern is that the uneven stress across the front of the roof when it drops on one side only has caused the issue with the canvas.

yes that's very helpful thank you. Gives me some ammunition to go back to VW with when it goes in for its service, as I think they just want to fob me off.

Best wishes
Thanks, it's been very helpful and I will definitely insist they change the pump this time.

General advice from Volkswagen Campercentrum in the Netherlands: The popup roof can sometimes sag a little, on one or both sides. This is not a problem in itself. Do you want to fix it anyway? Turn on the engine, open the windows and open and close the roof five times.
I was told by my dealer (not Volkswagen Campercentrum) that the T6.1 version has a longer intermediate time programmed than the T6 and T5 versions before the auto adjustment starts.
Thanks very much, it's worth trying. I'll let you know if it works.
Best wishes
Glenn

If yours is dropping 10mm a day I would say it’s going to take 2 to 3 days before the auto retensioning kicks in, and then you would need to refrain from turning the ignition key. If the dealer is just parking it up with the roof up for a week it has probably been retensioning , so they wouldn’t see a drop.
My T5.1 roof dropped a similar amount for the 6 years I owned it and never got worse. I got a bit obsessed with checking it!
With my T5.2 there is some dropping over 24h. Instead getting the night shock I operate the roof every morning over some inches down and up again. With my first T5.1 there was no problem with the roof - but others.

Back