Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop up roof problems

Mike F

Mike F

Mike F
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
On only our second trip in our new T 6.1 Ocean, the pop up roof started to sag after about 5 minutes of putting it up. We put it up fully and it did the same thing. We decided to put it down and try again. It started to go down very unevenly, which looked very alarming! As we were in a very isolated spot in NW Highlands, we decided we needed to try everything we could to get it down. Eventually, by pressing the control nob, in very small stages of shut and open, we got it down, cut the holiday short and drove home. It’s booked into VW Lancashire next week. I haven’t tried the roof again as I need to be able to drive it to the garage!
Has anybody else experienced this problem? What was the cause? What was the remedy?
Many thanks from a very frustrated new Cali owner!

Could be low oil. Air in the system. To bleed it you need to raise it and lower it a few times. If the problem goes away then that's all it was. If it doesn't it sounds like low oil in the reservoir. You will need VW to top it up for you

Could be low oil. Air in the system. To bleed it you need to raise it and lower it a few times. If the problem goes away then that's all it was. If it doesn't it sounds like low oil in the reservoir. You will need VW to top it up for you
Thanks flying banana

On only our second trip in our new T 6.1 Ocean, the pop up roof started to sag after about 5 minutes of putting it up. We put it up fully and it did the same thing. We decided to put it down and try again. It started to go down very unevenly, which looked very alarming! As we were in a very isolated spot in NW Highlands, we decided we needed to try everything we could to get it down. Eventually, by pressing the control nob, in very small stages of shut and open, we got it down, cut the holiday short and drove home. It’s booked into VW Lancashire next week. I haven’t tried the roof again as I need to be able to drive it to the garage!
Has anybody else experienced this problem? What was the cause? What was the remedy?
Many thanks from a very frustrated new Cali owner!
Had a similar problem with a rental California recently and found partially lowering the top and raising it again solved the problem for us.

Had a similar problem with a rental California recently and found partially lowering the top and raising it again solved the problem for us.
Many thanks Rebus. We did this to eventually get the roof down. Since it’s been into the VW van centre and they have fitted a new pump to the roof mechanism. problem resolved!

Many thanks Rebus. We did this to eventually get the roof down. Since it’s been into the VW van centre and they have fitted a new pump to the roof mechanism. problem resolved!
Apparently there's a batch of pumps out there with faulty valves. Mines booked in for replacement.

Apparently there's a batch of pumps out there with faulty valves. Mines booked in for replacement.
The VW centre didn’t know that at the time. They suspected one of the hydraulic arms at first and switched them over to see if it switched to opposite side. It didn’t so they replaced pump. Hope yours resolves the issue.

I am told that there is now a technical bulletin issued by VW on this subject for the VW Van centres. They are told to bleed it up to 3 times, each time leaving it for a period of hours to see if the roof dropping is resolved and if not after 3 attempts to replace the pump (I think). Let's see, fingers crossed.

Back