Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Polarity Testing

C

Cchalk

Chalks
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello we are soon to be travelling to France for our first 2 week adventure in our new Cali and am very confused re polarity testing. From my reading... French plugs have two pins, but sometimes they are wired up the wrong way? It seems that generally the California can handle this but what about the three pin plug? Do we need to buy a Polarity testing kit? Sorry I hope I have worded this right, basically I don't really understand it!! Thanks in advance for any help
:help

You don't HAVE to as anything plugged into the 240v socket will still work when reverse polarity is present.
For safety reasons though it would be wise to carry a plug in tester and a short hook up lead which you've reverse wired and can use when needed.

Oh no, not this again !!!!!!!!

Search on previous heated debate.

S.

Thanks guys and have I stirred something up? I did do a search before I posted but just got even more confused!

How do we test the polarity of the power hookup before we plug it into van. The polarity testers for sale on website are three pin and we have a two pin euro adapter but the power hook up different isn't it?

We have a three socket (3pin UK type) with a plug to go into the socket on the end of the mains lead so use this for a check before plugging into the van.
We use this three socket lead in the awning and then have another short 3m long lead with a normal UK plug on it which then goes to the van input.
This way we can use the kettle etc in the awning.
The simple way would be to just a have a UK socket on a lead about a foot long with a plug to go into the socket on the main lead.

Cchalk said:
Hello we are soon to be travelling to France for our first 2 week adventure in our new Cali and am very confused re polarity testing. From my reading... French plugs have two pins, but sometimes they are wired up the wrong way? It seems that generally the California can handle this but what about the three pin plug? Do we need to buy a Polarity testing kit? Sorry I hope I have worded this right, basically I don't really understand it!! Thanks in advance for any help
:help
We called at many campsites from North to South France for 2 wks September last yr.
Had No probs with their electrics and going again beginning of September...
But we did find that some sites had electric hook with the French ' house hold socket type ' power socket rather than the usual outdoor/camping universal type connection but when it did happen help was always on hand, sites are usually willing to lend connectors or even complete cables and this did not have any effect on our in van electrics - we usually take a small George Forman grill which we use without problem in our Cali 3 pin socket. We did hear that the polarity problems have been at the Aires - the municipal motorhome stopovers where the electrics can be dodgy.

Back