Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking ticket.

But…. How is it, or which is it…… a plg or a motor caravan
A motor caravan describes what it is.
PLG tells you what it is taxed as - It doesn't mean its a goods vehicle, its a a band that includes everything that doesn't fit into the normal tax bands according to DVLAs note re tax classes PLG includes the following types of vehicles:

Vehicles registered before the 1 March 2001: Private motor cars; goods vehicles not more than 3,500kg revenue weight; vehicles used for “private” (non-trade or business) purposes (including 3 wheeled vehicles over 450kg unladen). Vehicles registered on or after 1 March 2001: vehicles that do not come into the scope of the first six tax classes, listed below.

This is really bizarre. On the basis we’re not driving campervans maybe we’d have been okay in Portree (Skye) parking in the main car park which said “no campervans”. I think you’re conversing with someone who doesn’t know which way is up (that’s the polite expression option!).

This might help…. Somebody got a response from DVLA to a “camper van” query….

The DVLA does not hold any information within scope of your questions. We do not distinguish between campervans or motorhomes for the purposes of changing the body type of a vehicle to motor caravan.
All campervans, motor caravans and motorhomes fall under the category of ‘motor caravan’. There are no plans to change this.

Last edited:
Our T5.1 2015 reg document says Body type Motor Caravan. Taxation class Diesel car. I suppose the latter part is so they can charge a higher rate of ”ROAD TAX.“Compared to a coach built twice the size.

The layman may not distinguish different types - I often hear people talking about friends having a 'campervan' when they mean a whopping great coachbuilt motorhome. That's probably what's happening here. Worth arguing the point so they can get their ideas in order.

is there a different price between the two classes?

semantics aside, most laypersons distinction would be between any 'car-sized vehicle' and a 'motorhome'.

they're either trying to keep separate space for Big Whites, charge more for them, or prevent overnight sleeping.

we once got a ticket on my Dads Hymer parked (and paid for) in an in an otherwise empty set of coach spaces in the car park late in a Sunday at Helmsley Castle - he thought he was doing a favour keeping a bigger vehicle out of the busy car spaces.

Good luck with this Jonlewis314159 and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I had no idea! Please let us know what you did in the end and what the outcome was. All the best.

Apologies if this have been addressed previously but I have so far not found a similar post.

I have received a parking ticket it a local authority owned coastal car park ( Wales )
The car park in question has 3 parking bays marked “ camper vans only “ . I parked in one, purchased parking and was then issued a ticket.
Apparently a vw California ocean 6.1 is not a camper van. The authority have checked the v5 and say the catergory listed does not comply.
I have contested the ticket stating that I cannot be expected to abide by their definition of a camper van and they did not state their terms of compliance prior to me purchasing a ticket.
Any further ideas of how to contest this??
I really feel for you. Another money raising exercise. Currently travelling across beautiful northern Spain & can’t help but notice all the free car park spots along this coast…

IMG_9676.jpeg

This is an interesting thread, although annoying that the original poster has suffered a fine for trying to do the right thing.

Has anyone had any issues with the T6 Oceans that are classed as an MPV, being refused to park in a normal car park?

Have seen many car parks where they ban "campervans" and wondered if we can park there as in essence it is a campervan to us, but doesn't seem to be classed as a "motorcaravan" by the DVLA.

I think there’s a fairly recent thread relating to the camping and caravan (or maybe the caravan and motorhome) club. The Club backed down eventually and agreed a Cali is a motorhome.
We had a similar dispute with NCP, (but for a car). NCP had a bizarre set of charges displayed in the car park and then charged us the wrong amount via an automated machine. After a lengthy correspondence the words “Trading Standards” elicited an immediate refund. I don’t know whether it is worth trying that with a local authority.

Apologies if this have been addressed previously but I have so far not found a similar post.

I have received a parking ticket it a local authority owned coastal car park ( Wales )
The car park in question has 3 parking bays marked “ camper vans only “ . I parked in one, purchased parking and was then issued a ticket.
Apparently a vw California ocean 6.1 is not a camper van. The authority have checked the v5 and say the catergory listed does not comply.
I have contested the ticket stating that I cannot be expected to abide by their definition of a camper van and they did not state their terms of compliance prior to me purchasing a ticket.
Any further ideas of how to contest this??
Try taking a trailer of rubbish to the local tip and they will tell you that you cannot come in because it’s a camper towing a trailer. You can tow a trailer with a T6 van but not the Cali as it is a camper van. The criterion being it has everything incl a kitchen sink.

Interesting thread this. I’ve just been to Pembrokeshire and there are different prices / available hours for cars and what I can only assume to be motorhomes. See the picture below. Absolutely no clarification of what would be classed as a car and what would be classed as a motorhome. IMHO, simply using pictures (especially when they show a coachbuilt motorhome or if they say “cars only”), I can’t see how they can penalise one using a campervan/motorhome only space or conversely penalise a Cali for using a car only space or using the car pricing structure. After all, all the Range Rovers sitting in car parking spaces take up more room than a Cali. View attachment 111384
Reading the Pembrokeshire.gov website I don’t think they are trying to catch camper vans out. They describe having larger spaces to accommodate larger vehicles.

Given Californias are nearly 5m and standard car park spaces are just 4.8m, fitting in a car space is always going to be a problem. Personally, I would park in a car space on the outside of the car park where the nose can be pushed further forward giving the impression that it fits inside the lines :)

By contrast… in many Dorset coastal car parks, anyone driving a motorhome longer than 4.8m is not welcome. They even offer their definition of a motorhome on the tariff signage…

Any vehicle that has been designed or adapted for the purpose of cooking. eating, sleeping and storage.”…

Reading the Pembrokeshire.gov website I don’t think they are trying to catch camper vans out. They describe having larger spaces to accommodate larger vehicles.

Given Californias are nearly 5m and standard car park spaces are just 4.8m, fitting in a car space is always going to be a problem. Personally, I would park in a car space on the outside of the car park where the nose can be pushed further forward giving the impression that it fits inside the lines :)

By contrast… in many Dorset coastal car parks, anyone driving a motorhome longer than 4.8m is not welcome. They even offer their definition of a motorhome on the tariff signage…

Any vehicle that has been designed or adapted for the purpose of cooking. eating, sleeping and storage.”…
Difficult one that when it’s you’re only form of transport. I’m not welcome in Dorset then. Even when using campsites. Need to park to go to the pub!

Try telling Condor Ferries you're not a motorhome and see what they say ...they maintain if it has a kitchen it's a motor home.

Yes but a lot of "cars" on the roads in these parts (South Bucks) are around 5 metres long - eg Range Rovers. So a T6 van isn't necessarily all that big, comparatively speaking. They fit pretty well in a standard space, provided you park tidily of course.

Back