Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking ticket.

J

Jonlewis314159

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Apologies if this have been addressed previously but I have so far not found a similar post.

I have received a parking ticket it a local authority owned coastal car park ( Wales )
The car park in question has 3 parking bays marked “ camper vans only “ . I parked in one, purchased parking and was then issued a ticket.
Apparently a vw California ocean 6.1 is not a camper van. The authority have checked the v5 and say the catergory listed does not comply.
I have contested the ticket stating that I cannot be expected to abide by their definition of a camper van and they did not state their terms of compliance prior to me purchasing a ticket.
Any further ideas of how to contest this??

Motor caravan then underneath its private light goods vehicle

They have rejected my appeal with the following wording “in order to make use of the campervan parking bays, your vehicle must be classed as a campervan with the DVLA.”

You parked in good faith. The sales brochure published by a respectable source, VW, refers to your vehicle as a ‘Campervan’

I’d send copy of the sales brochure with the fine notice form to the office and have it cancelled that way.

EDIT
Worth noting that the DVLA website conflates the terms “motor caravan” and “campervan”. It does not distinguish between them. Motor caravan is its preferred term

Last edited:
Vote with your feet. Go on holiday and spend your money somewhere else.

I definitely parked in good faith. I feel that informing me of their interpretation of what a camper van is after I have purchased parking cannot stand up. The contract was formed when I bought the ticket, their interpretation was supplied post purchase and for that reason is a clause which cannot be inforced post contract. Or am I over thinking this

They have rejected my appeal with the following wording “in order to make use of the campervan parking bays, your vehicle must be classed as a campervan with the DVLA.”
I don’t think any vehicle is registered as a “campervan” so by their definition no one can use those bays marked “campervan” as the DVLA do not recognise campervans, only motor caravans.

I don’t think any vehicle is registered as a “campervan” so by their definition no one can use those bays marked “campervan” as the DVLA do not recognise campervans, only motor caravans.
I have been looking for vehicles registered campervan with the DVLA and can’t find any?

You can bet that if you parked in a car space you would have received a ticket for parking a camper van in the wrong place too..
I regularly park in car bays and they do not ticket me! I have regularly parked in the camper van bays and have only on one occasion received a ticket

Interesting thread this. I’ve just been to Pembrokeshire and there are different prices / available hours for cars and what I can only assume to be motorhomes. See the picture below. Absolutely no clarification of what would be classed as a car and what would be classed as a motorhome. IMHO, simply using pictures (especially when they show a coachbuilt motorhome or if they say “cars only”), I can’t see how they can penalise one using a campervan/motorhome only space or conversely penalise a Cali for using a car only space or using the car pricing structure. After all, all the Range Rovers sitting in car parking spaces take up more room than a Cali. IMG_6369.jpeg

I think they're talking nonsense - all campervans, motor caravans and motorhomes fall into the DVLA category of 'motor caravan'. You could go on the DVLA website and send them a a query to confirm if 'campervans' are a separate classification. They're pretty quick at responding and once armed with what I'm sure will be proof in your favour invite the council to take you to court.

This was the best I could find. It is very hard to get a definitive list of body types but this might be it.

Section 2.5.1 describes the ocean as a motor caravan. There is no mention of ‘campervan’, there isn’t any such thing.

I suspect that the council are making things up to suit their narrative.

Last edited:
THIS. The DVLA's official terminology for a campervan is 'Motor Caravan'. You therefore are covered in law, at least in my view.

The problem is that every council seem to do their own thing Lyme Regis (Dorset) saying no Motor homes in the seafront car parks. Motorhomes are directed to park and ride which doesn't start running until 22 July! They seem to define a campervan as a motorhome in their listing if you can cook or sleep in it it is a motorhome. I think Motorhomes and Campervans are unwelcome in many seaside towns. I parked in the seafront car park using a blue badge paid for the parking and would have been happy to meet the council in court to discuss the discrimination of my disabled passenger if expected to park out of town in the park and ride.

Nomination for ‘Jobsworth of the year’.

Ridiculous, whoever looked at your van and didn’t recognise it as a campervan needs to go to Specsavers.

They are being ridiculous and their position will not stand up in court. I'd write them a letter saying you won't pay the penalty charge because you parked a vehicle that any reasonable person would recognise was a campervan - ie a van adapted for camping in - in compliance with their signage and that you paid the parking fee. I would suggest in your letter that you will not enter into any further correspondence but that if they wish to take it further you will defend your case in court and that your defence will, inter alia, note that the V5 description as a "motor caravan" is clearly to any reasonable person synonymous with "campervan" (ie a van for camping in). And that you will be seeking to recover all costs once the case has been decided in your favour. Which in my opinion it certainly would.

Interesting thread this. I’ve just been to Pembrokeshire and there are different prices / available hours for cars and what I can only assume to be motorhomes. See the picture below. Absolutely no clarification of what would be classed as a car and what would be classed as a motorhome. IMHO, simply using pictures (especially when they show a coachbuilt motorhome or if they say “cars only”), I can’t see how they can penalise one using a campervan/motorhome only space or conversely penalise a Cali for using a car only space or using the car pricing structure. After all, all the Range Rovers sitting in car parking spaces take up more room than a Cali. View attachment 111384

When I have parked at Newgale previously Ive only paid as a car, thats following a conversation with a attendant checking tickets who said if its a camper van & fits in a car bay just pay the car rate. It's only big Motorhomes that pay the extra.
Thats from the bloke responsible for dishing out the tickets!

They are being ridiculous and their position will not stand up in court. I'd write them a letter saying you won't pay the penalty charge because you parked a vehicle that any reasonable person would recognise was a campervan - ie a van adapted for camping in - in compliance with their signage and that you paid the parking fee. I would suggest in your letter that you will not enter into any further correspondence but that if they wish to take it further you will defend your case in court and that your defence will, inter alia, note that the V5 description as a "motor caravan" is clearly to any reasonable person synonymous with "campervan" (ie a van for camping in). And that you will be seeking to recover all costs once the case has been decided in your favour. Which in my opinion it certainly would.
In this case, as in all T6.1 Californias they are designated as PLG as part of the exemption from the Luxury Vehicle Taxation previously applied.
V5 as originally said supports the Council claim that it isn't a Campervan or Motor Caravan.
A friendly visit with the Cali to the relevant Council offices would be the starting point to attempt to resolve the issue. With a VW Cali brochure in hand.

In this case, as in all T6.1 Californias they are designated as PLG as part of the exemption from the Luxury Vehicle Taxation previously applied.
V5 as originally said supports the Council claim that it isn't a Campervan or Motor Caravan.
A friendly visit with the Cali to the relevant Council offices would be the starting point to attempt to resolve the issue. With a VW Cali brochure in hand.
I am not driving to the council offices expecting to get a qualified person to the car park with my brochure in hand!! I’d rather pay the £35!! I do however get your point. But…. How is it, or which is it…… a plg or a motor caravan

I am not driving to the council offices expecting to get a qualified person to the car park with my brochure in hand!! I’d rather pay the £35!! I do however get your point. But…. How is it, or which is it…… a plg or a motor caravan
It’s both
Taxation class : PLG
Body Type: motor caravan

V5 says motor caravan.

Back